Nov 9, 2008
My system specs are
i5 2500k
Asus p8p67 pro
8gb Gskill memory
Radeon 6950
Corsair Tx 750
1.5 tb Western Digital HD

I am looking into getting a SSD and dont know where to start any advice would be helpful
I want to spend between

100-150

I wouldn't go below 90gb ebcause the SSD can fill up fast and before you know it the thing will be full , so a 90gb will give you some breathing room. A lot of people recomend 60gb and say it is enough but I've had 64gb ssd's and if you are not careful and watch absolutly everything you load it will fill up fast and especially if you have windows 64bit it takes up a lot of space.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Wow, my computer is basically identical to yours, lol.

This is where to start: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-price-ssd,3070.html

Its a bit out of date though, prices have changed.

You basically have two choices: Sandforce (ocz,adata,corsair) or non-Sandforce (crucial m4).

Sandforce has faster sequential read/writes but is usually considered less reliable. They have similar random i/o rates. Speed differences are over rated though, I can guarantee you won't notice the difference between any decent sata3 SSDs.

Size is also an issue. I have a 128GB m4 and love it. If I had more money I would have bought a 256GB. Many people have 64GB drives and love them though. A smaller drive requires more work and more maintenance.
-Space has to be monitored
-Registry changes need to be made to change the locations of folders (users folder for example)
-a 64GB can hold windows, boot applications, and one or two large applications (games or adobe products for example)
-90 or 128GB can't hold everything but it can hold alot more than 64.

I'd say either get the corsair force 3 or upgrade your budget to the more reliable crucial m4.

edit:
After some price checks ive change my first recommendation to the corsair force 3 120GB. Its on a nice sale (same price as the adata mentioned above) but better performance and a better brand. I also removed my ocz recommendation as its not relevant anymore.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I still recommend the m4 though if you can up the budget. Dealing with RMAs is annoying. Corsair's aren't bad but they still fail more than crucial's.

Guess it depends on whether you like it to "just work" or don't mind the slight risk in bargain hunting.

Not trying to scare you away from the corsair drive, though. It's still an excellent product.

armand_h

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
in my opinion reliability is the first thing that you have to care about!

with tath money you could buy1x64gb samsung 830 series which are reliable like marvell controller based SSD's with resonable performance! ;) and it cones with batman arkham city game! ;)

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
^ they're new and not sandforce, so yeah, a bit expensive.
It's 209.99 for the 128GB version. So $1.33/GB for corsair, $1.56/GB for m4, $1.64/GB for Samsung 830. Expensive but not completely unreasonable (like an intel drive).

And the 830s performance is not "reasonable", it's excellent.

Once again though, it requires a budget upgrade because less than 120GB is meh.

So in his stated budget, the corsair one is still his best choice.

armand_h

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
m4 and intel 510 and corsair performance pro they're using the same controller!;)

but with different components which means different performances!

as i can see your motherboard does not support sata 6gb/s natively! it comes with marvell controller which is weak because of low bandwidth (5gb/s)

if you want to add another SSD in future it's not worth using that controller !

ICH10 is faster than marvell in raid 0! because you will get 2.5gb/s bandwidth per SSD! :)

anyway remember that cheaper always mean less reliable in pc components!

if you want fast SSD around 150$ go for Corsair Force 3 120gb!
good price, and corsair cares about their customers as far as i know!

AND remember before using any sandforce based SSD check for firmware update!;)

JdotH

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Samsung 830!!!!
All the way.

I had a Max Iops....was nice till a few months in BSOD started. Latest Firmware 2.15 didn't fix it either.

Had the fastest now I want RELIABILITY....means waaaaaaaaaaay more then super duper faster....it gets annoying to have BSOD during game, surfing, etc. everyday.
Besides, the Samsung 830 is marginally slower. Won't notice the difference. Seriously.

Get it. Get the Samsung. Be comforted with its fast reliable ways. Be happy.

Id be getting one of the tier 3 120/128 GB units (list below edited to just 120/128 giggers

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-price-ssd,3070-6.html

This hierarchy chart relies on information provided in our Storage Bench v1.0, as it ranks performance in a way that reflects average daily use for a consumer workload. This applies to gamers and home office users. The chart has been structured so that each tier represents a 10% difference in performance.

Tier 3
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120 GB
OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120 GB
Patriot WildFire 120 GB
Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
Other 120 GB second-gen SandForce SSDs with Toggle NAND

Tier 4
None

Tier 5
Intel SSD 510 120 GB
Crucial m4 128 GB

Tier 6
Adata S511 120 GB
Corsair Force GT 120 GB
Kingston HyperX SSD 120 GB
OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB
Other 120 GB second-gen SandForce SSDs with Sync ONFi NAND

Tier 7
None

Tier 8
Corsair Force 3 120 GB
Intel SSD 320 300 GB
OCZ Agility 3 120 GB
OCZ Solid 3 120 GB
Patriot Pyro 120 GB
Samsung 470 SSD 128 GB

toupee

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I ended up going with what inzone recommended in the first reply, and it's amazing. The Force GT 90GB. I'm really only intending to use it for Windows, and the speed is incredible - really makes you see how much 7200RPM hard drives can bottleneck a system!

Anyway, this is the only SSD I've ever had any experience with, so I'm sure I'm sure naive, but it is a damn good SSD, and a cinch to install Windows on.