Replacing/Upgrading a Processor question.

metabolize

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Hello,

I am looking for some knowledge on replacing a processor. I recently did a build that I want to upgrade. I wanted to get a machine up and running fast and built it however I wish I just got the right processor the first time. I wanted to upgrade from an Athlon II x4 630 to a Phenom X4 Black Edition 965. I have a Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P motherboard, 4 gigs of DDR-1333 Gskill, 500g wd hd, and a low end Radeon Card. I plan on doing a little gaming but not looking to overclock or benchmark anything only because I plan on using this for music creation mainly and want the processing power for the plug ins.

So it is to my understanding that Unless I want to overclock then I would be better off going with the 140w BE vs. 125W BE? That is one question. The other question, if I replace this processor is it going to do anything to the motherboards status? Meaning, I have never just done a processor swap. I know about proper installation procedure but just wanted to make sure that if I did this there wasn't something I am missing.

I also realize that if I am upgrading the processor for my plug ins I want more ram too. Is there a guide to settings for ram? Is there a menu that I need to adjust if I add memory? Sorry to sound new to this but the only way you can find out is to ask questions.

Thank you in advance.

Bri

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Not sure what you mean motherboard status but it will recognize the new CPU that's it. Just remember to use the Phenom heatsink and fan as AMD designed it to dissipate more heat, unless it looks and is the same as that of the Athlon. The Phenom is the high end, and the Athlon is the mid-level chip. As for your RAM question no the mobo will just log the new amount of RAM. Otherwise you should be fine.

metabolize

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Thank you very much for the replies. I will get the 125w Revision. I have an after market heatsink/fan by coolermaster. I would imagine that would be better than the original that comes with. Cooler Master AMD 130W 92mm "heatpipe direct contact" CPU Cooler RR-910-HTX3-G1. Thanks all for the help. You guys are great.

1. I really have no idea what you mean by plug ins but it doesn't sound like anything to warrant a CPU upgrade.

2. You wouldn't be better or worse off. They will perform the same. The 140W version will draw more power and produce more heat. If you do get the 140W version you will want to check to ensure that your motherboard supports 140W. Some motherboards support only up to 125W. As for your second question...well... exactly what mister g said.

3. Same goes for the ram - what mister g said. I believe with some OCZ ram you may have to set the voltage manually though.