Upgrade from Q6600 to i7-860 ($1000)

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
So I just bought the combo at Frys it was $270 after tax and theres a $20 rebate on the motherboard. I no the motherboard is not all that great.

Intel Core i7-860 and Biostar TP55 Combo

Right now I'm running Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GH and EVGA nForce 680i SLI (never OC ) with 8GB of Ram.

My main purpose to upgrade would be to help reduce time on converting Blu Ray movies into .mkv x264. And trying to make alot of them to BD9s

I'm not big on CPU gaming although I might get the new Diablo and Starcraft when they release but that be it.

I've got 15 days to decide to keep this or not. Is it worth me upgrading now or should I hold off awhile. If it is worth it could I do this build for $1000 total roughly. $250 already spent for motherboard/CPU but would like to get another motherboard, $750 roughly left.

Case,Power Supply, Heat Sink, Better Motherboard, RAM (8GB Min), Video Card should be about it

I have Windows and HDD, and DVD drives. LCDs Keyboard, mouse

Or should I just start overclocking my current setup.

Thanks

As far as if it's worth it to upgrade, does your computer seem to be slowing down a lot? Are you able to do what you want right now? If not, then upgrade/build a new one. If yes, don't bother.

If you were to upgrade, here's what I recommend. I'm using Newegg for the prices, cause I'm better at finding the stuff there. May add links later.

RAM: 2x G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1333 mhz CAS Latency 7 $200

Case/PSU: Combo: HAF 922 and OCZ StealthXStream 700W $100 after rebates

GPU: HD 5770 $145 after rebate

Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 $30

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro $190

Total: $665.

Since there's some budget left over, it might be worth it for a different HDD. I highly recommend the Samsung Spinpoint F3s (500 GB for $55 or 1 TB for $85). They're by far the best out ther right now.

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Thanks no need to add links I can search around. That case looks good. How much of a gain would I be getting over my current build am I going to benfit enough for this to be worth it.

Also this is my current GPU
http://www.amazon.com/e-GeForce-Superclocked-PCI-Express-Graphics-Lifetime/dp/B000XVAMPE

That Motherboard has some nice specs.

Well I think I'm just going to go buy that case no matter what since those rebates will end next week.

If I were to make this build across 3-5 months would it be wise to keep the i7-860 and crappy motherboard I got total cost was $270 and will be $250 AR. Looks like it's only $30 less than what I see on the net after the rebate. Maybe it will be cheaper in a few months or might find a great combo deal during that time.

Thanks