Help with Overclocking my PC I am a Noob!

pacostes

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Hi everyone,

I bought a PC from a guy on craigslist about 5 months ago here are the specs:

CPU: intel i7 920 @ 2.67ghz

Mainboard: Asus P6T DELUXE V2

MEMORY: 14 gb total, 3 Hyperx 2gb and 2 hyperx 4gb

GPU: gtx550 ti evga oc with 2gb

Hard Drives: 4 raid connected hard drives with almost 2 terabytes i think they are 475 gb each.

CASE: Coolermaster cmstacker aluminum

ok so here are the basic specs, the cpu fan is stock and in the case there are 2 big fans one in front and one in the back, although there are 4 slots for fans on the side plastic door and one big fan slot on the top. Now, i would like to know with this setup I have what are the Overclocking capabilities of this machine and what things or setups would I need to make it more efficient and obtain a better cooling. like the thread says I am a noob when it comes to overclocking so I need help please. Also, I would like to know if i can set up a ssd drive and keep the raid as well.

Thanks before hand,

see pictures to better understand what i have.
img20120808094044.jpg
By pacostes at 2012-08-08[/img]
img20120808094021.jpg

By pacostes at 2012-08-08
img20120808093947.jpg

img20120808093854.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Your computer is screaming to be overclocked! There are sooo many awesome guides floating around, I'd start with those actually. I take it you haven't OC'd before? No problem, we have all been at the starting line at one point or another, but the best (and safest) way to start off is to do a bit of preliminary research, and only after you have that nailed down, we can help with the fine-tuning or peculiarities should they arise.

Start here: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2008/11/06/overclocking-intel-core-i7-920/1

I would also suggest that you start with the CPU and not worry about RAM, GPU, etc until you know you achieved the optimal (stable) OC with your CPU. The worst mistake I see people making is when they go on an OC frenzy and do everything at once. Another thing is, if you haven't done so yet, do a solid benchmark and stability test BEFORE you start OC'ing, this is done so you know where you stand at stock settings. Always a great idea to have a clear understanding on where you stand at stock so that you have a relative point by which to judge your overclocking efforts. Cool?

pacostes

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
thanks for the reply omnimodis78, so I was looking at the link you sent and also other guides and apparently my pc has quite good OC capabilities, which is good. first things first, I need a cooler for the cpu since I dont want to try OC with the stock although I did a little OC up to 3ghz no problem but running the intel burn test with the real temp software the temperature climbed up real fast. So, what do you think about this one for the 920 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

the reviews cant talk better about it but, will this suffice my wants of bringing the cpu up to 4ghz stable?

Thanks again

pacostes

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

thanks for the reply omnimodis78, so I was looking at the link you sent and also other guides and apparently my pc has quite good OC capabilities, which is good. first things first, I need a cooler for the cpu since I dont want to try OC with the stock although I did a little OC up to 3ghz no problem but running the intel burn test with the real temp software the temperature climbed up real fast. So, what do you think about this one for the 920 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] llFullInfo

the reviews cant talk better about it but, will this suffice my wants of bringing the cpu up to 4ghz stable?

Thanks again

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

I agree that it's a "good" paste, but I personally would rather settle for something that I know is the best. Call me gullible, but the consensus on this is that if the paste comes with the product, it's never going to be at par with a dedicated product. I will still suggest to pacostes to drop the $10 and get the best possible thermal paste out there, if for no other reason but a peace of mind and to help out the economy :kaola: . But yes, if the cash is the issue, then the included paste won't be a "bad" choice at all!