Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What is best for gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 4, 2010 5:37:04 AM

Hi guys, i just bought a new pc with this components :

Intel Core i5-750 processor(8MB Cache, 2.66GHz)

6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz-2X2GB/2x1GB

nVidia GeForce GTX260 1792MB GDDR3


I was wondering if for playing games it was a good choise over a


i7 prosesor with a nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB and 6GB DDR3 SDRAM AT 1066MHz


Ty four your help !

More about : gaming

a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 5:53:12 AM

The graphics card is the most important element when it comes to gaming--so the system with the GTX 260 would outperform the system with the vastly inferior GT 240.

Both of these processors are much more than fast enough for gaming with midrange graphics cards--so even though the i7 is a better processor you wont see any real difference in processor performance right now.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 6:07:37 AM

+1 i5 + GTX 260

i7 + GTX 260 will give you nearly the same results like deadlock pretty much said. However the i7 will do a bit better at other CPU intensive tasks and you'll be set for a better upgrade path and the i7 will run a higher end GPU setup in the future.

The i5 is still an amazing cpu (beats anything from Core2Quad lineup and AMD) though so I'd probably still go for that if your only gaming/media/surfing.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 4, 2010 6:17:40 AM

deadlockedworld said:
The graphics card is the most important element when it comes to gaming--so the system with the GTX 260 would outperform the system with the vastly inferior GT 240.

Both of these processors are much more than fast enough for gaming with midrange graphics cards--so even though the i7 is a better processor you wont see any real difference in processor performance right now.



deadlockedwo thanks for ur help i was thinking of that a lot !
m
0
l
January 4, 2010 6:18:43 AM

Raidur said:
+1 i5 + GTX 260

i7 + GTX 260 will give you nearly the same results like deadlock pretty much said. However the i7 will do a bit better at other CPU intensive tasks and you'll be set for a better upgrade path and the i7 will run a higher end GPU setup in the future.

The i5 is still an amazing cpu (beats anything from Core2Quad lineup and AMD) though so I'd probably still go for that if your only gaming/media/surfing.




thanks raidur perhaps i will upgrade in the future
m
0
l
a c 230 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 6:05:03 PM

lexrg said:
thanks raidur perhaps i will upgrade in the future


Note sure what you mean .... but if you're thinking CPU only upgrade, There's no CPU only upgrade from 1156 to 1366 socket CPU's.

Typical 1156 System
1156 MoBo
i5 CPU
2 x 2GB RAM, or 4 x 2GB RAM

Typical 1366 System
1366 MoBo
i7 CPU
3 x 2GB RAM, or 6 x 2GB RAM
m
0
l
January 4, 2010 6:24:28 PM

lexrg said:
Hi guys, i just bought a new pc with this components :

Intel Core i5-750 processor(8MB Cache, 2.66GHz)

6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz-2X2GB/2x1GB

nVidia GeForce GTX260 1792MB GDDR3


I was wondering if for playing games it was a good choise over a


i7 prosesor with a nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB and 6GB DDR3 SDRAM AT 1066MHz


Ty four your help !


Ofcourse the i5+260 would kill.
The i7 might be more powerful then the i5 but they are far to powerful to be of any bottleneck, the GPU is the bottleneck here and since a 260 is better then a 240...your build is much more powerful in gaming.
m
0
l
a c 184 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 6:30:35 PM

You made the right choice: The i7 rig would be hopelessly choked by the slow video card.
Depending on motherboard you may also be able to SLI the current GTX260, although I suspect that by the time the card is really struggling it will be better to simply upgrade to a new, single, DX11 card.
m
0
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 6:31:16 PM

You made the correct choice. The GT240 is not really a gaming card, you can probably run some stuff with lower settings but the GTX260 is definitely where you want to be.

CPU's aren't as important in the gaming world as GPU's are. As long as you have a capable CPU, you are good to go if your graphics are up to par.
m
0
l
January 4, 2010 8:26:56 PM

Ty all for your help !
m
0
l
February 8, 2010 6:15:02 PM



GTX 260 !!
m
0
l
!