Wireless vs hardwired

Marie_84

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Hello,
Since my tower and printer sets directly next to the router, when my computer was set up, I am unsure if it is truly running off the hard wire or running off the wireless card that is part of the system. I don't want to disconnect the wrong items.
Not tech savy

Marie_84

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks so very much for your response. What would be the benefits of ever selecting wireless? One more question..went into device mgr and 3 selections are there: 1394 Net Adapter, Intel R-82566DC-2, Gigabit Network Connection and the last being wireless. I believe wired is more secure so, should the first 2 be selected.

The 1394 is a firewire adapter. It used mostly with storage devices sort of like USB but faster. If you don't use any firewire devices, you can disable it. The benefits of wireless is for use with wireless devices of course, or if you don't have a computer that is close enough to your modem/router and don't want to have to run a wire across the floor.

If you can reach the computer with a wired connection, go for it. You won't have to worry about signal strength like you do with wireless.