Downloads bringing my system to a crawl !?!

speedracer

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2001
Very strange situation. I just purchased my new system and installed my DSL modem (external, parallel connection), software, etc. exactly the same as my previous system but for some odd reason, while downloading small or large files my system comes to a crawl. For example, it takes somewhere between 3 to 5 seconds just to open a minimized window! And my new system makes the previous one look like something out of the stone age yet I never had this problem. Anybody have any suggestions on what to check to see what's causing the problem? Brief details of the new system...

MSI K7T Turbo-R
1.2 GHtz Athlon-C with 266-FSB
512 PC-133 RAM
IBM 45 gig drive at 7200rpm
Telocity external DSL modem
ATI Radeon VIVO 64
Win 98SE
etc. etc.

Any on what to look for??

Thanks,
Speedracer

G

An external DSL modem with a parallel port connection? That's kinda odd... What's the brand of the modem?

Did you make sure your parallel port is set to EPP or ECP mode in the BIOS? It might make a difference?

The software you installed is the most likely suspect though... It might have issues with other hardware in the system (or even the OS). Have you run any analog modem tweak programs on that PC? If you have, you'll have to 're-set' it for broadband connections if you haven't done so (http://www.dslreports.com).

speedracer

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2001
"An external DSL modem with a parallel port connection? That's kinda odd..."

Yeah, the modem Telocity (actually just bought by DirectTV) sent has both a parallel and USB connection but my USB ports were taken. I have a hub ordered and on the way.

I had no idea about the different parallel port modes, I'll have to take a look in the BIOS. What should it be set at for this situation?

I can't see why the software would affect my PC performance on this machine and not the other. The modem was set up exactly the same, and besides a faster CPU and more RAM their pretty much the same. But anything is possible I guess...

"...run any analog modem tweak programs on that PC? If you have, you'll have to 're-set' it for broadband connections"

No, I never used an analog modem on this PC, the DSL was the only modem I used. I went to dslreports and ran one of the scripts to adjust the receive window, mtu etc., and no difference.

Anyway, my transfer speed is fine, its the rest of the system that dramatically slows down when downloading a file. Like I said earlier, it takes two maybe three seconds to open a minimized window. This is really starting to aggravate me! :)

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Parallel port throughput can slow down any system. You should see better results with USB.

I agree with GOD TM, try EPP, ECP modes for the parallel port. Mobo's often have the old SPP mode set by default.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Parallel port use a lot of CPU power it does not matter which mode you use. Different mode only change the trasnfer speed. My computer slow down a lot when I use my Parllel Zip drive and my parallel port is set to ECP mode. Just get an USB hub to connect the DSL modem.