Frustrating Flat

Ashish34

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
For almost a year now I've been follwing along in the world of LCD's. Just a few months ago, it probably would not have been feasible for a gamer (like myself) or those that use their computer for purposes other than the internet to use a flat panel due to various disadvantages. Now with ACCEPTABLE response times, using a LCD monitor for more advanced computing is becoming more of a possibility. However, obviously they're still not up to par with good ol' CRT's (as everyone already knows). They still can't display as full a range of colors as CRT's, have relatively bad dot pitch, and are still horribly expensive (despite the prices dropping quite a bit). I have to look around for at least 2 hours at ALL monitors offered by many manufacturers just to find one that may be alright for me. How much does it cost?? Usually $898+. Quite frustrating, don't you think? Sure, trying to get microscopic transistors on a TFT chip to be as good as CRT's is definitely a challenge, but... will LCD's ever surpass CRT's before the age of OLED? (Probably, but I'm a rather impatient type of person...)

~ApT~

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hehe, LCD's can be annoying to select. new technology is right around the corner, and some is already appearing. BTW, anyone know when we can expect OLED displays? Color, viewing angle, and response are non issue on them, and I'm sure we can make em less bright than current lcd's (IMO, anything above 120CD/M^2 is too bright) while keeping a good contrast.

Kentucky: 15 million people, 5 last names....

Ashish34

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
I believe I read on C|NET that OLED 13-15" OLED displays were expected to be in mass production around 2005. But... 2005??!! That's too long for me ;-). Besides, those are quite small, although the article also pointed out that they are so clear and precise in their picture that using a small screen size like that one is similar to using a large screen. Who knows if any of this is true, but seems to me a lot of new stuff is coming out around 2005... that new PCI technology, MS "Longhorn", and who knows what else. One last thing... since they did say 2005, I'm expecting more like 2006 - computer manufacturers seem to always delay new products.

~ApT~

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
and while you still wait until the new technology to be out, we will enjoy whatever is avaiable now with LCD technology...

TRENDING THREADS