1000w psu videocard connector

john521

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Hey all,

I have a dell xps720 with a 1000k psu unit. recently, my 8800gt videocard was fried, I tried my friend's 8800gt and it got fried also. The computer guy at the store gave me a older ATI card which does not require the connector from the psu and it's been working fine for me so far.

The computer guy told me that if i wanted to get another videocard later on that I should use the other connector from the psu unit and it would be fine. does this make sense at all? if it does then I'm not sure which connector I used for the old card that got fried, there's a p3 and a p4. I'm guessing it's the p4 since it look dustier.

What the computer guy suggested, does it make sense? And if it does, should i assume that the p4 connector was never used and i should use it?

thanks.

Solution
^ Well not necessarily the PSU would have gone bad...I would suggest you try testing with a cheapo card first before using the HD 5770 to be on the safer side...

And for a HD 5770, a quality 500W PSU from Corsair/ Antec/ Seasonic/ Silverstone/ PCP&S/ CM Real Power/ CM Silent PRO would do...

john521

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
wa1, it's a dell psu, sorry i don't know much about them but it's the default one in the dell xps720, and i want to get ATI 5770 or any 5 series.

gkay, thanks, i just needed to know if that's possible, so there is the possibility that the power connector can cause it? I really can't tell which connector I used before, I just notice that p3 is clean and p4 is dustier so im assuming I was using p3. But usually when they assemble computers would they normally use the p3 connector for a single videocard?

^ Not necessarily...you can use either of the connectors if only 1 6-Pin is required...And from what you are saying, even I feel that the p3 was being used...but not sure though...
How old is the PSU ? Hopefully the 12V rails have not gone bad as these result in the card failure also as the p3 and p4 are powered by these rails...

^ Well not necessarily the PSU would have gone bad...I would suggest you try testing with a cheapo card first before using the HD 5770 to be on the safer side...

And for a HD 5770, a quality 500W PSU from Corsair/ Antec/ Seasonic/ Silverstone/ PCP&S/ CM Real Power/ CM Silent PRO would do...

Solution