Why wont my computer start when ide mode is enabled.

ajrskyline

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
I have been trying to connect my xbox 360's disk drive to my computer's sata port but for some reason it wont read. I went through the whole process of installing portio64 and running the computer in test mode and it all worked through jungle flasher, but my computer won't read the drive. i am trying to change the sata configuration from achi or whatever it is to IDE but everytime i do my computer wont start up untill i switch it back.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Because your windows installtion was originally made with ACHI enabled. It would be the same the otherway round too - as during the installation certain drivers are loaded depending which you have enabled in BIOS

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Here's the easy thing: If you computer has a second disk controller for extra SATA or eSATA ports, you can set that one to IDE mode and connect the drive to it, without disabling AHCI for the controller that your PC uses. Otherwise it can get tricky.

ulysses35

Distinguished
quickest and easiest solution is to buy an external HDD caddy that connest via USB - they can be picked up for around £20.00

There are ways to force windows to change for ACHI / IDE and vice versa - if you google enable ACHI within windows (proceedure is similar either way round) you can then re-boot windows and enter BIOS and set IDE as enabled.

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-7-rc-after-installation/

this should point you in the right direction - I have myself used this method to enable ACHI after forgetting to enable it before installing windows

ajrskyline

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
I have an eSATA port factory installed on my laptop but where would i find the controller? nothing's coming up in device manager under storage contollers and i don't see anything for SATA.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Firstly the esata port on your laptop would be controlled either by the chipset itself or in some cases by a secondary controller chip. Now if you dont see a stand alone chip then it will be listed under "onboard" devices.

as for the ACHI / IDE reset.

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

Note number 6, as in the instructions above, which came from Microsoft, that the Value in the registry entry showen in Number 4, must be set to 1. Then reboot, go in to the bios disable AHCI mode, then boot back in to Windows Vista, and Windows Vista will install the IDE driver, and redetect any harddrives in the system.

However if the person has used the Intel Matrix Storage driver for the AHCI driver, that the user most likely will not be able to uninstall the Intel Matrix Storage driver.

ajrskyline

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
i tried resetting to ide but i had to restore my computer after restarting because it wouldnt work for either. I'm running windows 7 how do i find the controller chip or what would it be called because all i find that is relevent in device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers is an Intel(R) ICH9M/M-E Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2929. if this is the correct controller how to i change it to ide so it can read my disk drive?

daship

Distinguished
Since you are trying to flash your drive to play backups, you need to do your homework. Not all chip sets work. And by the looks of it yours dont. You can find a list of chipsets that work or use a desktop and get one of the compatible sata cards.

ajrskyline

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
hmm seeing as i figured everything else out and already have all the programs needed set up and ready to go its pretty safe to say i've done my homework. i don't turn to forums unless i've already searched something for hours and couldn't find anything. and do you really think i would waste this much time just so i could play backups? dont be so naive. but hey thanks for trying