Soundcard works in test but no sound in iTunes or on web

spartan92

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
After hours of troubleshooting this, I'm stumped and would appreciate anyone who has a solution.

After a fresh install of Windows 7 on my PC, I installed the updated drivers and files for my Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer sound card. I get sound when I test things in the Creative Console or in Windows. However, I get no sound when I go to a site like YouTube or in my iTunes.

Drivers are up to date, card appears to be recognized correctly by Windows and even shows the green audio bars moving when a sound file is playing. The onboard sound from my motherboard is disabled. I am at a loss to understand what isn't correct.

Would appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
You say you're using the updated drivers; does this mean the most up to date drivers from the manufacturer's website or did you use the Driver Update utility in Windows? I can only suggest uninstalling the drivers from Device Manager and only use the ones from the manufacturer's website. Hope this helps!

spartan92

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Yes, I actually did get the drivers from Creative's site, using their utility that actually checks the devices in your system and recommends the drivers/files you need. I downloaded and installed their recommended driver and another file that apparently fixed a problem of device recognition in Windows 7.

spartan92

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Following up here. Tried uninstalling the device in Windows and now it's not even being recognized by Windows after a restart. The Creative site has a file that is supposed to "Correct the device detection issue in Windows 7" but downloading that file results in a wonderful "No device is detected" screen and the Installshield wants to close. Not very useful!

Trying to just download the newest drivers results in the same thing.

I don't THINK it's my PCI slot on my motherboard, as I even tried switching them and still no device is detected.

Anyone else figure out how to fix this?