Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Antec EarthWatts 650 High Temps

Last response: in Components
Share
March 14, 2010 8:29:30 PM

It runs pretty hot. 85 Celsius. Is that too hot?

Phenom II X2 550 @ 3.5GHz stock voltage
2X 9800GT in SLI
2Gb DDR3 1066 RAM
500Gb HDD
1 Disc Drive
a b ) Power supply
March 14, 2010 9:00:43 PM

Is this the temp of your PSU? I'm pretty sure that the majority of PSUs don't have a temp. sensor fitted so I'm just wondering how you are monitoring this temperature?
m
0
l
March 15, 2010 1:28:16 AM

moody89 said:
Is this the temp of your PSU? I'm pretty sure that the majority of PSUs don't have a temp. sensor fitted so I'm just wondering how you are monitoring this temperature?


Yes my power supply. With PC Wizard there is a Power/Auxiliary temperature reading. And the with HWMonitor the temperature that PC Wizard is giving has a matching temperature for TMPIN2.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 243 ) Power supply
March 15, 2010 1:42:25 AM

pcman09 said:
Yes my power supply. With PC Wizard there is a Power/Auxiliary temperature reading. And the with HWMonitor the temperature that PC Wizard is giving has a matching temperature for TMPIN2.

As stated previously, there would need to be a temperature sensor from the psu to the motherboard, the EA 650 doesn't have that capability.
m
0
l
March 15, 2010 1:48:41 AM

delluser1 said:
As stated previously, there would need to be a temperature sensor from the psu to the motherboard, the EA 650 doesn't have that capability.


Oh. Then why is it giving me any temperature reading then? And so the reading they are giving me are inaccurate? If so that would be a load off, 85-90 Celsius is too hot for a PSU.
m
0
l
March 15, 2010 1:53:39 AM

Whatever it is reading it's not your PSU. It could be your power circuit on your motherboard (about the only thing I could see that could run that hot) but I would guess it is misreading something else.
m
0
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
March 15, 2010 1:59:34 AM

pcman09 said:
Oh. Then why is it giving me any temperature reading then?

I have no idea.
On my system it bounces back and forth between 27c and 50c while the system is at idle, never stopping anywhere in between, and yes 85-90c would be far too hot for a psu.
m
0
l
March 15, 2010 2:00:10 AM

Ancient_1 said:
Whatever it is reading it's not your PSU. It could be your power circuit on your motherboard (about the only thing I could see that could run that hot) but I would guess it is misreading something else.


Seems its just giving me wrong readings. I have had PC Wizard give me ridiculous readings before, but never had any from HWMonitor. All other temps on the PC are fine, so I guess I will ignore the reading unless someone can point me in the direction of what the reading is?
m
0
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
March 15, 2010 3:13:40 AM

Hmmm..... this is really odd.

My Corsair and Seasonic power supplies have their own internal temperature sensors that control the speed of the power supply fan. They are not connected to the motherboard. I don't see how the utilities could get temperature readings from a power supply.

I've got an Intel Core i7 860 and I'm running Hardware Monitor Pro, version 1.08.0 right now. I do not see any power supply temperature.
m
0
l
March 15, 2010 3:24:10 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
Hmmm..... this is really odd.

My Corsair and Seasonic power supplies have their own internal temperature sensors that control the speed of the power supply fan. They are not connected to the motherboard. I don't see how the utilities could get temperature readings from a power supply.

I've got an Intel Core i7 860 and I'm running Hardware Monitor Pro, version 1.08.0 right now. I do not see any power supply temperature.


There is no direct PSU temperature reading in HWMonitor, at least not for me. I looked at the reading PC Wizard and matched it with the temperature reading in HWMonitor. I just assumed they were the same reading. There are three random temperature readings that just say TMPIN0, TMPIN1, TMPIN2.

Here are some pictures of the readings.

PC Wizard
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9902/83579836.jpg
HW Monitor
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8448/79328982.jpg
m
0
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
March 15, 2010 3:51:58 AM

I just checked several references. For your AMD system TMPIN0, 1, and 2 in Hardware Monitor should correspond to the internal temperature of the PC, the northbridge chipset, and the southbridge chipset.

I'll do a little more research tomorrow.

m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
March 15, 2010 4:10:54 AM

I have an older antec truepower and on mine it has a 3 pin connector that hooks up to the motherboard on the PWR Fan header and it lets my ASUS P5Q SE motherboard monitor the temps and fan speed.
m
0
l
March 15, 2010 4:19:34 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
I just checked several references. For your AMD system TMPIN0, 1, and 2 in Hardware Monitor should correspond to the internal temperature of the PC, the northbridge chipset, and the southbridge chipset.

I'll do a little more research tomorrow.


Thanks. I did some myself and it appears its a dead (unactivated) sensor that gets incorrect readings on MSI motherboards. Can anyone else confirm this?

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/833207/+0#entry21092753
http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=119297.0
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1293688&page=3

So I am not quite sure. Here is what Everest gave me.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4108/capturevg.jpg
m
0
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
March 15, 2010 7:10:11 AM

saaiello said:
I have an older antec truepower and on mine it has a 3 pin connector that hooks up to the motherboard on the PWR Fan header and it lets my ASUS P5Q SE motherboard monitor the temps and fan speed.

It's an rpm monitoring cable , it does not read the temperature of the psu.

Read the last line of the "Output Cables" section
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article712-page2.html
And again here
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article260-page3.html
Now read " Interpreting Temperature Data " on page 4 of either review.

You would think if the rpm monitoring cable was somehow capable of monitoring temperature's they might mention it and wouldn't have to interpret temperature the way they do.
It [ the rpm monitoring cable ] was simply a way of assuring that the fan was ramping up when the heat was on, as if hearing it wouldn't be enough.

In order for a motherboard to read the temperature of a psu there needs to be some kind of temperature sensor as part of the psu's internal circuitry.

Here's a couple of example's of power supplies who's temperature's, and much more, can be monitored;

TurboCool1200

Gigabyte Odin GT550
I have this one
m
0
l
!