Sign in with
Your question

*Urgent help needed for new build!*

Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2010 7:46:43 PM

[New build]Need advice on <£900 rig please.
I have come up with the following parts for my new rig. I will be gaming on it(tf2,l4d2,mw2, should be able to play all games up to about 4 years?) and I want it to last long. Here's it is:
Phenom X4 955 BE
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Gigabyte HD 5850
Corsair twinx ddr3
Corsair 650tx(the non-modular one)
Samsung SH-xxxxx-xxx DVD rw
Nzxt m59 case
Benq G2200HD Monitor (the e2200hd is now obsolete I think)
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Windows 7 home premium

This build bought from scan.co.uk costs roughly £914, I was previously going to get the RC, but now my computer has broken down, all I have is an xp os cd.

Please can you tell me if this build will satisfy my needs, and if not, please reccomend some parts to replace it.
I want to shave off about £50 hopefully, the only way I think I can do this is use my old xp cd. How would I go about upgrading from xp to windows 7 rc? Is it a risky process?

That's all,
Thanks,
Shadowlift.

(PS, the my primary problem is the parts, the os is more of a secondary objective - I am willing to spend the money if it is worth it)

More about : urgent needed build

January 8, 2010 8:09:39 PM

In 4 years, it's likely that the computer will still be running.

However, in 4 years, you probably will not be able to play the latest games (games released in 2013-2014) at high resolution without doing an upgrade or two.

I'd say build it as is (with ares1214's suggestions), but plan on upgrading at least the GPU in 2 years. You may also want to add RAM at that point, depending on average system requirements for games.

Luckily, the GPU and RAM are about the easiest parts to replace in a computer.
Related resources
January 8, 2010 8:24:41 PM

+1, the most logical thing to do is to is to wait until it cant max most things out (my 4890 is getting close to that point @ 1920x1080, but it still has about a year before a upgrade is needed.) and do what i will do and xfire it. in 2 years, i would either get another 5850, or see hwo the other cards are.
January 9, 2010 8:41:28 PM

About the ram, I really can't afford to spend any more, in fct I wanted to decrease the price, so I don't think I can get premium ram like that.
Also, about the monitor, I was thinking I could get one that's 20"-22", because I really don't want a giant monitor, because I feel like I have to use more of my periphiral vision ( I just moved up from a 19" ^^)
And the Hard drive , it has 16mb cache as opposed to 32mb on the caviar black, would this make a difference in performance?
Sorry for being annoying, it's just £900 is really a lot to me :) 
January 9, 2010 9:25:58 PM

you can get win 7 key off ebay from 14.99+ if i did my conversion right that saves you about 40 pounds
January 10, 2010 10:56:45 AM

No, it doesn't work like that. :)  prices are nearly the same numbers in pounds as they are in dollars, e.g something that costs $900 will cost nearly £900, even though the pound is worth nearly twice as much(I'm not sure though)

Its not fair! :) 

January 11, 2010 3:52:23 PM

As far as the question about hard drives, the Samsung/Seagate drives fit more data into fewer platters, meaning that the drive heads need to move less to read or write data, which results in faster access times. Average read/write times affect your actual perceived performance, while cache size will rarely affect your interaction with the OS.

In short, the cache size doesn't matter.
January 13, 2010 3:01:34 PM

So the parts are okay? I'm going to order real soon now.
January 16, 2010 9:35:47 AM

I'm buying it NOW. I'm using the hard drive suggested, but I have read many good reviews for the monitor I chose before. The suggested ram is also too expensive for me, so I can't get that. Any last words? :D 
January 16, 2010 7:57:07 PM

Actually, I've had some last-minute advice from freinds, and have changed my mind to ordering a different monitor. It's the viewsonic VX2260wm, so I'll beordering that tomorrow. I've already ordered the rest of the build btw.
January 17, 2010 7:09:39 AM

I need advice! :D 
!