Sign in with
Your question

CF 4890 question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2010 11:42:20 AM

Hi
A friend of mine wants to crossfire a pair of power colour hd 4890´s , i adviced him against that since he could CF HD 5770´s that are newer cards have lower heat power consuption and DX11.. we wouldn´t listen...
He wants to know if a Corsair TX 650W coupled with an antec 300 case a m4a 79T deluxe mobo a amd phenom 965 BE CPU and OCZ obsidian rams will be enough to keep them both funcional( with controlled temps) system and if the PSU has enough power....

More about : 4890 question

a c 125 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 11:51:45 AM

The PSU has enough power, however heat is going to be an issue with 4890's CF

I'd sell the 4890 and get a 5850 or as you suggest 2 x 5770's.
January 4, 2010 12:41:06 PM

that´s what i told him...
Btw can´t two HD 4890´s consume about 500W in full load... Woulnd´t it be to tight for those cards?
Related resources
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 1:22:12 PM

Its recommened that you have at least a 600W PSU for 4890 CF, He has got a good quality 650W so he shouldnt have a problem.

A 5850 would use less power, produce less heat, had DX11 support, eyefinity, also it performs well at any game, CF seems to be alittle hit and miss, sometimes it works well and other times it doesnt.

At the end of the day its his money.
January 4, 2010 2:43:00 PM

Im looking at some photos of his mobo

There´s a large stretch bewteen the GPU´s , that way they have more space to breathe.... But you are still right tthat doesn´t change the fact that the even one HD 4890 produces a lot of heat , then two will be hard to keep stable for long even in this mobo , maybe a 120 mm fan pointed directly at the GPU´s could help
Im going to tell him to cosnider a HD 5850 or CF HD 5770 , he doesn´t understand much about hardware , i showed him some benchs and he was pshyched up about the performance of the HD 4890 CF but couldn´t or woulnd´t consider the problems involved in this setup
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 2:53:59 PM

If he is looking to purchase (2) 4890's as a pair, I would suggest he look at a single 5870 instead. Granted the (2) 4890's in CF will have slightly better performance, but you will not have the issues with heat or CF.

Also, looking at that board, if you are using the two blue slots he will need longer crossfire cables. If you put them in the first (2) PCI-E x16 slots he will most likely run into some heat issues. the bottom card will be fine, but the top card will be sucking hot air from the card below. I crossfired (2) 4870's once and the top card overheated above 100C and my game would crash. instead of zip tieing a 120mm fan directed between the cards, I just sold them and got a 5870. I was MUCH happier.
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 3:40:05 PM

when I was considering CF 4870's I looked at some benchmarks and was very impressed, but was extremely dissapointed when I saw the results for myself, Only Cod4 benifitted from CF, I tryed Fear 2, CoHToV, CSS, rave driver GRID and a few others.

Thats just my experience, drivers may have improved CF performance now. I wosh your friend would believe you, and get a 5850, they are awesome!.
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 4:03:00 PM

Yeah a 5850 is a great card, they OC very well to. I've seen benches where they OC to the clocks of the 5870 and perform slightly under it. However, I have the 5870 and for some reason when you OC the 5870 past its stock speed it only gives marginal gains. I have a feeling it is pretty much optimized as is. So the 5850 is the better "value" especially if you intend to OC.
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 5:35:16 PM

Yeah the 5870 is pretty beefy at stock, I think i'm right in saying that the only 2 differences are 1440 SP's (5850) VS 1600 SP's (5870) and also the GPU and Memory clock. Oh and obviously the different lenght of the 2 cards.

@jay2tall, I read a review of the ASUS HD5850 yesturday, the reviewers managed to get the core to 1025mhz and the memory to 4600mhz with "Voltage tweak technology" Mind you, You'd need some decent cooling :) 

@OP If he isn't listening to your advice, then what can you do. Just let him buy a second 4890, and if he has heating issues then you can say "Hahaha, In your FACE! "lol

As to the PSU, its fine for CF4890's.
January 4, 2010 5:40:13 PM

Quote:
Also, looking at that board, if you are using the two blue slots he will need longer crossfire cables

Really? This asus board comes with longer crossfire bridges( 2 of them actually) i think they are to connect the cards from that distance , but from there the heat issues would be less even thought it woundl´t prevent the top card from heating , aren´t the two blue ones x16? I think you are supposed to placed the GPU´s there to CF at x16( or in the black slt that one is x16 two ) but the blue ones are further away..
Quote:

@OP If he isn't listening to your advice, then what can you do. Just let him buy a second 4890, and if he has heating issues then you can say "Hahaha, In your FACE! "lol

I´m trying to prevent getting there xD
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 5:54:31 PM

^
If the mobo comes with longer cables that reach to the blue slots, you will have MUCH better cooler since they won't be riding on top of each other. I am referring to the shorter ones that are included with video cards. I actually looked this board up on newegg and saw that crossfire cables you are referring to. They do look longer than usual.

If he already has (1) 4890, he can always try it out. If there is a nice gab between the cards you will most likely be fine. Even better if you have a side case fan.

If he is looking at buying (2) 4890s to crossfire, I'd go for the 5870 right off the bat and get one awesome card instead of 2 combined.
January 4, 2010 5:55:13 PM

The Corsair 650TX only has 2, 6+2 PCI Express connectors. Will the other card be using some Molex to PCI Express adapters??? I believe each 4890 needs a 6 and 6+2 pin connector. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Also, I can confirm the motherboard comes with longer CF bridge connectors. I have the exact same mobo :) . I used to CF a pair of 4850's.
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 6:10:11 PM

They each use (2) 6-pin connectors each. So he would need to use (1) 6 pin in each and also a 4-pin molex to 6-pin adapter in each.

sounds like the cable question is confirmed. I would still say if he already has (1) go for it. If he doesn't, I would go straight to a 5870.
January 4, 2010 7:09:43 PM

jay2tall said:
They each use (2) 6-pin connectors each. So he would need to use (1) 6 pin in each and also a 4-pin molex to 6-pin adapter in each.

sounds like the cable question is confirmed. I would still say if he already has (1) go for it. If he doesn't, I would go straight to a 5870.

Yep, you're right. Most 4890's use (2) 6 pin. My Asus EAH Top 4890 uses a 6pin and 8pin though (Factory OC'd). I thought I was crazy, but confirmed it by looking up the specs via order history on Newegg lol. I swore I remembered plugging in a 6+2 pin connection in my 4890, haha. A rare exception :) .
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 7:19:36 PM

By now, if your friend is looking at this and he has NOT considered either the 5850 or 5870, then there is no stopping him.

My vote = GO WITH THE 5870!

:) 
January 5, 2010 11:33:10 AM

Quote:

Yes.. the corsair only comes with two 6+2 connectors
Quote:

No he hasn´t bought any card

Quote:
If the mobo comes with longer cables that reach to the blue slots, you will have MUCH better cooler since they won't be riding on top of each other. I am referring to the shorter ones that are included with video cards. I actually looked this board up on newegg and saw that crossfire cables you are referring to. They do look longer than usual.

Yes , that mobo is very good for CF but still one card would send hot air all over the other but across a longer gap

Quote:
Also, I can confirm the motherboard comes with longer CF bridge connectors. I have the exact same mobo :) . I used to CF a pair of 4850's.

Did you have any heat issues ? I heard that the hd 4850 produces a lot of heat.. And what´s your opinion in a multi-gpu system , did you have drivers /performance problems?
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 5, 2010 12:24:05 PM

^
- If he hasn't bought any cards yet, I REALLY REALLY think the obvious choice should be a single 5870.
- On the heat issue, YES the bottom card would still produce heat that will rise to the top card. However, there is more space between to dissipate the heat better. The top card will still run hotter than the bottom, but there is at least an air buffer between.
- The 4850 does produce alot of heat, so does the 4870, and likewise the 4890. I had no issues running crossfire with (2) 4870 besides the heat issue. If I took the side of my case off and put a fan on it things were fine. However, I really wanted a stable setup. Again, my issues were because the cards were right on top of one another.

I think you know exactly what you are talking about to your friend. But I know how hard it is to convince someone once they have their mind set on big numbers.
January 5, 2010 6:17:21 PM

I had no issues with heat with my mobo and (2) 4850's in CF. I have a lot of airflow with my Antec 1200 also. As I recall, the temps on both cards always stayed around 45-50c. I even overclocked both cards as well. I dumped the CF though. I played some games that didn't utilize CF, so it was a waste for me. I never had any weird issues though with the few games that DID support it. The cons out-weighed the pros for me. So, I went with a single card setup. It's more simple... less heat... less headaches. I debated CF two 4890's recently, but decided to just grab a single 5800 series card sometime down the road. Waiting for price drops and/or a 5890 series card.
!