Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC Won't Start up

Last response: in Motherboards
a c 235 V Motherboard
August 3, 2010 5:01:22 PM

Okay... I need some client build that has crashed and is three hours away from me at this point. It had been running fine for a couple of weeks now for him.

Here is his system:

• CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX440WFGIBOX
  • MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
  • RAM: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO
  • GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
  • HSF: Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2
  • HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply
  • DVD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM
  • Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Prior to giving to delivery of the PC, it passed 9 passes on MemTest, overnight on Prime95 and other testing like PCMark Vantage and 3DMark Vantage, so the system was stable.

Here are the symptoms:
  • Yesterday, received an email that it crashed after thirty minutes of usage when playing WoW - System shutdown without noticable BSOD. He restarted the PC and ran fine with another 5 hours. After leaving for a while, he started the PC back up and had the same thing occur (which was when he contacted me). Our first thought was a WoW issue, so I had him do the normal update drives, patches and did a little research that this wasn't an uncommon thing with WoW. Our thought it might just have been a game related issue.
  • Today, received a text saying now the PC won't turn on at all. He had updated the drivers and all seemed good last night before bed. Once he got up today and started the PC, it turned on for about 2 minutes than shutdown. He has since been unable to turn the PC on since. Here are a few things I've tried to have him look at over the phone (he is not very techy with PC's)... 1) Is everything plugged in tightly and securely... Yes... 2) Remove the 24-pin and use the paperclip method to see if the PC starts up... The fans and everything turn on and stay but nothing on shows on monitor & 3) Removing CMOS battery for 10 minutes, reinstalling 24-pin and restart the PC... Waiting the results Update: "PC now sporadically turned itself on - almost made it to windows before cutting off again" from end use's text

Based on what I'm being told or can figure from this situation, I'm leaning toward either a PSU issue or Motherboard issue. Can anyone provide me with their ensights or other tips to recommend over the phone. If not I can't solve this, I'm guessing I'll be making a trip next weekend to try and fix his PC.

Thanks!!

Updated: Test results are in from removing the battery
  • More about : start

a b V Motherboard
    August 3, 2010 5:11:05 PM

Installed WOW the other night for someone with a perfectly fine 9600GT and it would not run! Installed a Radeon 4850 and the game ran like a dream. Perhaps try a differeent video card and see how it goes.
    m
    l
    a c 235 V Motherboard
    August 3, 2010 5:13:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback... Badge

However, our issue seems to be more related to the fact the PC won't turn on now not an issue of nothing coming up on the monitor or the game crashing.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a c 177 V Motherboard
    August 3, 2010 5:54:00 PM

I might suggest the exact CMOS reset procedure outlined in the "to break a 'boot-loop'" sub-section of the Troubleshooting: part of the GB 'sticky'. I realize this is not a 'boot-loop' issue, but might surprise you. Also, doublecheck with him that he has not added any 'new' USB devices to the system recently.

I'm impressed; either you under-rate his 'techiness' (is that even a word :ouch:  ), or you are one helluva 'talker-througher'! I've been doing industrial systems for twenty-five years, and can count, on the fingers of one hand, without aggravating my arthritis [:bilbat:6], the number of clients whom I would ever TRY to take through the 'paper-clip' trick!
    m
    l
    a c 716 V Motherboard
    August 3, 2010 6:04:00 PM

PSU ~ hmm 4 rails ; look there.
    m
    l

Best solution

a c 108 V Motherboard
    August 4, 2010 12:20:35 AM

Tecmo,

Have you asked your customer to actually verify that the computer isn't turning on (no power) vs. not displaying anything on the monitor (no display)? I know you know the difference, but considering your customer isn't "techie" and under edcuated/informed/experienced people usually say their computers don't turn on just because there is no display, there is a chance that the two separate problems are being mistaken as one.

""PC now sporadically turned itself on - almost made it to windows before cutting off again" from end use's text" - This suggests that there is indeed power and the tone suggests the user is basing the diagnosis off of the presence or absence of monitor display.

If in fact there is a no power concern, it would either be battery, PSU, or power button switch. Replacing the battery is something your customer should be able to handle; far cheaper too. Perhaps you should consider having the customer replace the battery and retesting before you make your way out there. Also, if your customer can tackle the paper clip trick, i'm sure jumping the PWR_SW circuit would be a breeze.

In short, I'd have customer check:

1. Power Button Switch by removing it from the mobo and jumping the pins; or
    2. Using a fresh battery from a store.

a c 235 V Motherboard
    August 4, 2010 1:00:49 AM

Good tips... I'll put them in my database for further reference!!

Couple of issues through.... 1) I don't think it is the Power Button Switch since the issue started when the PC turned off & won't turn back on and not a "power on" issue. 2) Battery is a great tip but he decided to take it to shop to determine the issue. He had one close by and it was easier and quicker than waitng for me to come up over the weekend. I don't think it cost him much to have it looked at. Depending on the parts and what he decides, I'll look to help him with replacing the component, if need be.
    m
    l
    a c 235 V Motherboard
    August 6, 2010 4:21:46 PM

Best answer selected by tecmo34.
    m
    l
    !