Sign in with
Your question

Help me!

Last response: in Overclocking
August 9, 2012 2:17:06 AM

Hello community, let me start off by saying i have read through the watercooling newbie thread so dont yell at me :D 

Alright I've been wanting to set up a watercooling system in my Antec 1200 case for a single GPU and my CPU ( i know its not the best case for watercooling but its so pretty :) 
The biggest reason behind me wanting to switch to water cooling is because my pc is LOUD and keeps my gf up when im trying to game (or get work done :o  ) And also my room is very hot when my a.c. isn't running, and I'm pretty sure the current air cooling setup makes it worse.

I do know I want to go with this Koolance drive bay res. http://koolance.com/rp-452x2-dual-5-25in-reservoir-for-... ] i think it matches the antec 1200 case very nicely.

I will be upgrading from my gtx 580 to a gtx 680 once i finalize this watercooling setup (should i go with hydrocopper or get a block and install myself?)

The main questions i have are: The reservoir i want is a dual res, is it very beneficial to use them seperate in my situation or should i have it and one single res?
Do i need 2 pumps?
And with the main things being noise and having a hot room, Would i need more than one radiator?

Sorry for the noob questions as i am kinda lost on where to start and want some suggestions for my specific case.

More about : question

a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2012 2:33:19 AM

why go from a 580 to a 680?

dual 5.25" means it takes up 2 slots

i would stick with one pump

i would stick with 1 240 rad (if you have space of course)... that would be more than enough for a single GPU and CPU
m
l
August 9, 2012 3:22:33 AM

nna2 said:
why go from a 580 to a 680?

dual 5.25" means it takes up 2 slots

i would stick with one pump

i would stick with 1 240 rad (if you have space of course)... that would be more than enough for a single GPU and CPU

Well a gtx 680 offers a pretty sgnificant boost in performance i believe? Also because my 580 is not a reference card and they dont have water blocks for them.

Also the res. can be used as one big res or two small seperate reservoirs " Using a convenient bottom plug, the front reservoirs can be separated or combined without disassembling the unit"

Will i need any more fans for the radiator than i currently have on my case? (i will be mounting radiator on the back of the case)
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2012 3:28:21 AM

if you want more fans, static pressure optimized fans (such as the noctua nh-d14 (i think? somthing like that) fans) would probably help some

you can always get a universal block for the GPU and passive cooling for the RAM and VRM
m
l
August 9, 2012 3:36:08 AM

Meh i'd rather go up to a 680, i already have a buyer for my 580.

so is there any point doing two seperate reservoirs or would it be better using it as a single
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2012 3:42:44 AM

i would use it as a single res, and how much are you getting for the 580?
m
l
August 9, 2012 4:39:08 AM

are you sure a single 240mm would be sufficient for a CPU, GPU setup?
I wouldve suggested a 360 at the least?
I guess if your not OCig or anything it could be sufficient. but seeing as you dont have much space you may have to get a low profile rad, therefore you might need a bit more power then a noctuna can offer.
I'd say for a low profile rad youd need some fans that push up to around 100cfm for it to be really effective, and lets say you do use one 240mm rad for both your CPU and GPU you should definitely consider around 100cfm to get rid of that heat.

You could consider using it as a single res that leads to your rad then from your rad you could use a Y junction to have one channel going to your CPU and one to your GPU then from those two use a Y junction to bring the channels back together to be fed to your res.

(edit)
Btw i have the res your looking at and it is great, the build quality is amazing. plus the option to open the second chamber to allow for a big single res is great to keep a silver kill coil in :) 
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 9, 2012 4:40:21 AM

You'd need AT least 360mm rad to dissipate all of the heat!
m
l
August 9, 2012 5:03:17 AM

CrestfallenDesign said:
are you sure a single 240mm would be sufficient for a CPU, GPU setup?
I wouldve suggested a 360 at the least?
I guess if your not OCig or anything it could be sufficient. but seeing as you dont have much space you may have to get a low profile rad, therefore you might need a bit more power then a noctuna can offer.
I'd say for a low profile rad youd need some fans that push up to around 100cfm for it to be really effective, and lets say you do use one 240mm rad for both your CPU and GPU you should definitely consider around 100cfm to get rid of that heat.

You could consider using it as a single res that leads to your rad then from your rad you could use a Y junction to have one channel going to your CPU and one to your GPU then from those two use a Y junction to bring the channels back together to be fed to your res.

(edit)
Btw i have the res your looking at and it is great, the build quality is amazing. plus the option to open the second chamber to allow for a big single res is great to keep a silver kill coil in :) 

Yeah i reallly like the way it looks, but would using the chambers seperately be better? And that would call for two pumps correct???

Also, guys, im going to be mounting the rad on the OUTSIDE back of the case, there are precut hose holes allowing for it.

Found this on the youtube, would one radiator for the cpu and one for the gpu like this be sufficient??? Looks awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3QcKCidMa8
m
l
August 9, 2012 8:13:30 AM

I cant access youtube on the work computer but a nice fat 360 rad should keep you at acceptable temperatures.
Providing you dont overclock i'd say you could get away with just one.
If you can manage to get a push/pull fan config in there it could be more efficient. its just lets say you have a RX 360 with push/pull on there it would be very bulky at the back.
m
l
August 9, 2012 8:29:02 AM

Also I just re-read your post. I completely overshot the main problem, have you narrowed down what is making all the noise?
Like your stock case fans or GPU fan or CPU fan? maybe you could save the money and just get some new case fans and a aftermarket high end air cooler? cause if your getting a new card your GPU fan should be at a decent audible level seeing as its new.
m
l
August 9, 2012 8:54:05 AM

Its definitely the CPU cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ( if you can view Newegg at work :p )

Thing is fricken loud, im sure i could get away with a lower fan setting but im in the process of overclocking and its probably smart to adjust that after im done clocking where i want.

The youtube video has a radiator mounted INSIDE the front of the case and OUTSIDE the back with two seperate loops. Could i just mount two radiators on the back?
m
l
!