Sign in with
Your question

Deep Freeze to restore after every reboot

Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2010 9:19:20 PM

It's a software question and I didn't know where else to put this. Some of you have helped me choose the parts to build my wife's new pc. They are at home now and I will build it this weekend.

Her old computer always seems to slow down a lot after I do a system restore and about a month or so of use. She runs antivirus, adaware, and all the usual stuff. I don't have that problem, so I figure something on one of her favorite websites or file sharing sites is screwing her pc up. I've never pin pointed what it is.

I considered using a program called Deep Freeze from Faronics http://www.faronics.com/

Every time she would reboot her pc it would go back to its previous state. I saw this used in a class room setting and it was a great way to stop the kids from screwing up all the computer settings. Just reboot and its back to default.

I would have to point all of her programs to save to another drive and do a few other tweaks. I also would have to unfreeze the hard drive periodically to download Windows updates and antivirus updates.

Anyone have experience with Deep Freeze or have any other suggestions to fix her problem?

Thanks! Dale
a b B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2010 9:37:00 PM

What antivirus program is she using? some of them can really put a drag on the system. Also, many users feel that adaware has become a bloated hog. AVG Free and Spybot are 2 good programs. You might also consider CCleaner (it's free) to clean a lot of the temp junk out.
m
l
January 8, 2010 10:26:19 PM

cmichael138 said:
What antivirus program is she using? some of them can really put a drag on the system. Also, many users feel that adaware has become a bloated hog. AVG Free and Spybot are 2 good programs. You might also consider CCleaner (it's free) to clean a lot of the temp junk out.

She is using AVG free version, Spybot Search and Destroy, CC CLeaner and adaware. I don't think the adaware is the problem, but I guess it could be part of it. Right now she can open Outlook 2003 and her computer is unusable for about 2 - 3 minutes while it checks for new email. She can open Internet Explorer and it takes about a full minute or two before she can view a webapage fully.

Win XP Home Premium with all the updates on a Pentium 4 2.4 GHZ Dell PC with 1 GB of memory. It really does run smooth after a clean install, but not for long. Maybe the new machine won't have the same problems but I wanted to be sure and wondered about using the Deep Freeze Program.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2010 11:23:54 PM

Solution: Uninstall windows

Install Linux

Not kidding I did this to my aunts computer (though I really just dual booted) and she uses the linux OS normally and it never gets messed up by anything that she's doing.
m
l
July 23, 2013 4:56:19 AM

herderby said:
It's a software question and I didn't know where else to put this. Some of you have helped me choose the parts to build my wife's new pc. They are at home now and I will build it this weekend.

Her old computer always seems to slow down a lot after I do a system restore and about a month or so of use. She runs antivirus, adaware, and all the usual stuff. I don't have that problem, so I figure something on one of her favorite websites or file sharing sites is screwing her pc up. I've never pin pointed what it is.

I considered using a program called Deep Freeze from Faronics http://www.faronics.com/

Every time she would reboot her pc it would go back to its previous state. I saw this used in a class room setting and it was a great way to stop the kids from screwing up all the computer settings. Just reboot and its back to default.

I would have to point all of her programs to save to another drive and do a few other tweaks. I also would have to unfreeze the hard drive periodically to download Windows updates and antivirus updates.

Anyone have experience with Deep Freeze or have any other suggestions to fix her problem?

Thanks! Dale

Hi Herderby, I have used Deep Freeze in my past and I must say, it's a must have software for home users who are non-technical. This saves the computer from all the unwanted stuff that gets installed automatically while browsing leisure websites or accessing other stuffs. We had evaluated SteadyState, Comodo, Rollback RX and a few more but I would say, Deep Freeze turned out to be the best out of all in terms of usability, security and most importantly, pricing. It is 100% Recommended.
m
l
!