Question on storage

Zyanther

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
My Current system has a 512GB Crucial M4 SATA SSD 6G as its primary OS Hard drive. I am also using the Asus Rampage Extreme IV so it is UEFI BIOS. I need to expand my storage 512 is a bit small, so for secondary drives i was looking at space. I'd like some 3tb drives. If i get green drives(they run a about $150 less than their black counterparts) and raid them together am i going to have a terrible performance drop given that they are only used for storing media files etc? Below is my system specs provided anything else is pertinent.

Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Processor: Intel Core i7 3960X Six-core
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB GDDR5
Power Supply: 1200 Watt Corsair Professional Series AX1200

It depends on what you mean by "performance drop". Any hard drive, green or not, will have considerably slower transfer rates than your SSD, and green drives will be the worst of the lot.

But you don't need high performance for media files - to play a full HD movie with uncompressed audio only requires a data rate of about 3MByte/sec - a tiny fraction of what even a green drive is capable of. So in terms of simply being able to say, record and play back media files, it's not something you need to worry about.

On the other hand, if you spend a lot of time copying large media files back and forth, then a green drive might not be the best choice.