rajaton

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I am building a new computer, and I'm wondering if I will hit any sort of bottle necks. I'm getting a Quad 8200 2.33ghz processor, 4GB of ram, and the ATI 4890 by Powercolor. The only games I play are the usual ones from Steam(Portal, L4D, TF2, HL2), Fallout 3, and Fable Lost Chapters(Old I know, but I love being evil ;). Anything you would recommend upgrading? The reason I'm going with the 8200 is because it's a decent price and from what I've noticed on other people's computers it seems to perform quite well too.

rajaton

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I don't really want to go with AMD, I've had lots of issues in the past and I would have to buy a new motherboard. If I went with the i5, then I would have to buy a new motherboard and more ram as well. I have the Maximus II Formula mobo which I am quite happy with, and 4 gigs of DDR memory. I already have a higher end computer, this is more for my friends that come over to game with me.

ares1214

Splendid

rajaton

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I won't ever go with gigabyte board, I see your point though. As I said, this is sort of a basic system, just adding in a few things to keep my friends happy. It will still play everything, I'm not going to overclock it, I'm not concerned about crazy performance, I'm just trying to figure out what issues there could be/how I would fix them. I may also just save up for a Q9550 and add that in. Thanks for the advice, I am probably just gonna upgrade a bit until I decide what I want to do.

ares1214

Splendid
once again, throwing any money into a 775 system is waste, its like life support, just prolonging its agony :lol: , and what is wrong with gigabyte and amd!? amd i can accept, just personal preference, but gigabyte makes great boards. if you refuse, then it will just cost probs a little more.

rajaton

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009

I'll take the first step and admit it :p

and Ares1214, I don't like Gigabyte because I have bought three boards from them and each one has blown its caps within a year. First one was a P4 system, next one was an AMD, and then a Core 2 Duo. Maybe they have changed within the last...19 months...or maybe it's just my bad luck but thrice burned means no return :p