Sign in with
Your question

Need OC Help with 1100T & Crosshair IV Formula

Last response: in Overclocking
August 9, 2012 6:32:19 AM

Hi guys!

I want to OC my Phenom II X6 1100T (6 x 3.3 ghz stock), I'm running a Asus Crosshair IV Formula Board. CPU, NB & SB all water-cooled.

Now I'm quite new to OC'ing, I've already read some stuff though. But it seems I'm doing something wrong, because I can't get the slightes OC. When I searched around for results, it seemed like people got their 1100T to 3.8+ Ghz EASILY just by raising the multi and cpu voltage to 1.4 - 1.45.

However when I set the Voltage to 1.4, I can't even raise the multi from its default 16.5 to say 18. (I'm not touching the CPU clock speed)

I can't even boot, get "Overclocking failed" Message all the time and have to reset to bios defaults. It can't be the temps, as I said the whole board and CPU is water-cooled.

I must have missed something.. I know OC results differ, but I won't accept that I can't OC it the slightest, after all this board is designed for OC, and temps shouldn't be the problem.. I didn't find any guide specifically using my board. I don't really know what to leave set at "AUTO" and what I have to setup manually, and to what values. I guess I need a detailed guide specifically on my board, because some settings must be wrong :/ 

Thank you very much for any help!
August 9, 2012 9:03:15 AM

Have you tried AMD OverDrive software for OC? if not give it a try, I got my 1100T on GA-890FXA-UD7 past 3.8Ghz easely in some minutes. Then changed bios settings got it to 4.2 Ghz, although later returned to 3.8 Ghz (cause somehow rising voltage to 1.53 V to get 4.2 Ghz seems to me result badly on CPU longlivity, but I may be wrong I am no pro) I also don't think its motherbord issue, my collegue owns same bord as you and it goes OC smooth. IMHO you most likely have made some mistakes in bios settings, so if you aren't quite sure about what you are doing in bios, then try AMD OverDrive.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2012 12:21:35 PM

Neither the chip or the board should have a problem with what you are trying to do. (Unless there is some BIOS setting issue)

What PSU are you running?
Related resources
August 9, 2012 1:09:05 PM

PSU should not be the problem either, it's a BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 650W (80+ Gold). Watts should be enough, I just run a single GTX 580.

I'd really like to OC in BIOS, not with software. I want to understand what I'm doing wrong..
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2012 1:32:29 PM

For the sake of troubleshooting, I would go back to optimized defaults in the BIOS and then raise the multiplier little by little and make no adjustments to voltage until I saw stability problems.

Make sure you watch your voltage in CPUZ. The board will probably add voltage automatically as you increase speed, and you don't want it to get too high.

The trick here is to minimize the variables. So I would only alter one thing at a time until you find a "wall". Then consider Vcore adjustments.
August 9, 2012 11:54:31 PM

The GTX 580 uses a lot of watts, Measured power consumption

System in IDLE = 181W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 369W
Difference (GPU load) = 188W
Add average IDLE wattage ~ 25W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 213 Watts

The CPU uses around 140W
Then you have HDD's, DVD/BD,

I'd say bigger PSU, I only have a GTX480 and that loves its juice. Flattened my 750w PSU when I used my (now replaced with an FX4170) 1100T @ 4.1GHZ

Many people will hate me for saying this but I used Asus' own overclocking software. Worked a charm, albeit with a 850W PSU!! Hope this sheds a little light!!
August 10, 2012 12:15:09 AM

One more thing, check in BIOS for Anti-Surge/Anti-Spike, when I left mine on I got many false messages of a surge most likely due to the increase in voltage. I turned this off and didn't seem to struggle. Would anyone care to disagree or agree about this as it worked for me but it seems that recommending to someone else feels dicey!
August 10, 2012 12:58:16 AM

Okay, first of all thanks for helping me.

I took some shots of the BIOS settings so you can check if everything's fine.

Most of the stuff is default, however I already did change some things:
- Changed AI OVerclock Tuner from AUTO to MANUAL
- Changed AMD Turbo Core Technology from ENABLED to DISABLED
- Changed DRAM Frequency from AUTO to 1333Mhz (That's what my RAMs are)

Also, I raised the multi to 18 now, resulting in 3.6 ghz. So this is what it looks like now:

More settings:

(Quick question: I left CPU/NB Frequency and HT Link Speed at AUTO, as I don't know what values I should have / what they have by default)

Ok so after I raised the multiplier to 18, I did a reboot and entered BIOS again to see what voltages it set up, because I've left all the voltages at AUTO for now. Here are the values:

And these are my RAM settings as they are by default:

What I find strange is that my RAM's are labelled 7-7-7-24 @1.5 V, so why is it setup to 9-9-9-24? Should I change that to 7-7-7-24 or might that also result in instability?

Anways. It booted and I'm in windows, and it's showing me 3.61 Ghz there too, so OC worked. However, I just ran Prime95 Blend Test, and after only 5 seconds (!) one worker thread hat a fatal rounding error.. So I guess that means it's not stable?

What now?

Thanks you guys!
August 10, 2012 8:19:43 PM

Update: Good news!

I've managed to get to 4Ghz by raising the multi to 20, vCPU = 1.4 and vCPU-NB = 1.2. Haven't done serious stressing though, just half an hour of prime and a bit of gaming.

I think I know now why my previous attempts didn't work: I've told you that my RAM is 7-7-7-24, but for some reason in BIOS it is set to 9-9-9-24. My fault I guess was that I edited that to 7-7-7-24, and that's why I couldn't OC cause the RAM don't seem to be able to manage that. As long as I leave it the timing at 9, I get great results OCing the CPU.

However, I'm wondering if this is supposed to be like that? I.e. is it even wise to OC the CPU instead of lowering the RAM timings? Or would 7-7-7-24 @3.3 Ghz CPU be better overall-performance in games than 9-9-9-24 @4 Ghz CPU?

It seems a bit strange to me that it's set to 9 by default, as the RAMs are supposed to be 7-7-7-24.

So what do you think? Everything ok here, or should I set my RAMS to 7 first and then start off again?
August 15, 2012 3:21:25 AM

Sorry for pushing.. But it seems noone is interested in helping me anymore? :( 
August 15, 2012 12:21:30 PM

Great board and Cpu,had 2 of them previously,all I did was upped the multiplyer to 20(3.9Ghz) and that was it,Now I was running 1600 ram(kingston and then Gskill)What exact ram do you have?cause then as now all my ram runs at 9-9-9-24(or was it 27)now with Gskill there is a thread on there forums to bump up the NB memory by .01V with an AMD CPU.
now with my sabertooth 990FX and 1100T,same,only uped the multiplyer and 4.0G,I have never added voltages and they have all run stable.
now with that being said,not all CPU's will OC the same.
!