Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8Z68-V - use all 6 SATA ports simultaneously?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 28, 2011 3:32:07 PM

I've just purchased a new P8Z68-V and in reading the description, it "sounds" as if I must decide between using 4 of the 3GB/s ports, or the 2 6Gb/s ports.

The DVD/CD drive takes up one 3Gb/s port leaving only 3 left for HDD's.

So "could" I use the two 6Gb/s ports for HDD while using one or two of the 3Gb/s ports for the DVD/CD-RW ?

TIA, Herman

More about : asus p8z68 sata ports simultaneously

a c 326 G Storage
December 28, 2011 5:28:57 PM

You should be able to use all 6 sata connectors. I built a machine a few weeks ago with that board and used 5, including both the sata 6Gbps, and had no issues.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 28, 2011 6:26:17 PM

You can use all 6 at the same time. Maybe you can post where it "sounds" like that in more detail and we may be able to explain its wording.
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2011 1:01:47 PM

Thanks everyone.

I cannot recall where I saw the verbiage but it's also possible I was looking at older model boards as this "build" started off by getting an old HP Blackbird 002-21A system but having a fried Striker Extreme motherboard, as well as a suspect 1TB drive. I was looking up specs on it and other mobo's of that time (2007) and it's possible boards at that period didn't allow for simultaneous use????

In any event, I don't know why I thought I could only use either 2 or 4 SATA ports but it's a moot point thanks to your replies.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 29, 2011 3:55:19 PM

It's never been like that, if it has 6 sata ports, regardless of version, you can use all 6.
m
l
!