Sign in with
Your question

Temps for a q9400 2.66ghz a bit high?

Last response: in CPUs
March 14, 2010 11:07:29 PM

Okay so I just got a C2Q9400 2.66ghz. When I purchased the CPU I got a CoolerMaster Hyper212 plus and thus far I cannot get temps to go lower than 36 degrees celsius idle. This is at stock speeds without any oc'ing at all. If I OC it the temperature is a little higher but not more than 5+ degrees. So basically im trying to figure out if this temp is high for a q9400 at idle or not.
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2010 11:27:31 PM

doomdude009 said:
Okay so I just got a C2Q9400 2.66ghz. When I purchased the CPU I got a CoolerMaster Hyper212 plus and thus far I cannot get temps to go lower than 36 degrees celsius idle. This is at stock speeds without any oc'ing at all. If I OC it the temperature is a little higher but not more than 5+ degrees. So basically im trying to figure out if this temp is high for a q9400 at idle or not.

well for idle that pretty good to average temps for the C2Q's. Now i dont think you'll get it much lower than that as you can never have the cpu as the same temp as the air around it.

Although idle temp are normally not a good indicator of bad cooling.

To know if your cpu having a temp problem, you'll need to run the cpu using a stress program like prime95. This will stress the cpu to the max, thus giving maximum heat output.

if you can run prime95 for about 10 mins and then report from your cpu temperature program what the max cpu temp is, This will give the us the info we really need to say if your cpu is hot or not.

m
l
March 14, 2010 11:33:38 PM

With prime95 It max's out at 55 degrees celsius. When I overclocked it to 3.2Ghz it maxed out at 64 degree's full load. I tested it for about 20 minute each time i was messing with it last night.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2010 11:52:02 AM

Very nice temps! Ah long as your not hitting 75c+ temps, your got great cooling. :D 
m
l
March 24, 2010 7:35:54 AM

This is SS of what I have done thus far showing temps clock and such. How much further do you think I can push it with air cooling? I am also wondering if anyone knows how far one could take a 9800 GT with overclocking on air stock heat sink. I'm trying to squeeze it for as much performance out of it, I don't have the money to drop on a newer card :( .

m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
March 24, 2010 11:08:40 AM

You can push your load temps a little higher to 70 C. You have a little more room with your core voltage, up to 1.3625 volts.

OTOH, this is a good place to stop.

The graphics card - I do not like to overclock those. I think they run hot enough already.
m
l
March 24, 2010 4:09:06 PM

Well I can't seem to get the graphics card to go above 45 degrees celsius even when I'm gaming for hours on end and its only at 40% fan speed the whole time. But I understand where you are coming from GPU's get hot as hell :p 
m
l
!