Sign in with
Your question

Defective PCIe slot?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 3, 2010 8:15:42 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm pretty new to troubleshooting so I can really use some help here.

A friend of mine asked me to take a look at his PC. He told me he can't get any display from it. First I tried to find out if it's the VDU giving him problems but no, the computer had the same problem on my monitor. Next I unplugged the screen from the 9500GT and into his integrated card and a display appeared.

My first thoughts were that there is something wrong with his graphics card and that it wasn't software related since it doesn't even show the post screen or anything before Windows starts loading. Opened the case to have a look and discovered that the fan of the card spins but there is no video output. I was pretty sure the card needs to be replaced.

But just to be 100% sure I removed the card and installed it into and old computer lying around in my room. When I turned it on, the card worked! So I took my friend's computer, cleaned it properly and installed the card again. Still no display.

Now I'm thinking there is something wrong with the PCIe slot and the motherboard needs to be replaced. I tried to find any visible signs of damage on the board but none was found.

What I need to know: Does anyone know of anything else I can still try before we end up buying a new motherboard? Any ideas? Could it be something else causing the problem? My friend doesn't have a lot of money so it's really important that it fixes the problem!

Thanks a lot.

More about : defective pcie slot

a c 108 V Motherboard
August 3, 2010 8:29:47 PM

It is possible that something could be shorting in his case. I recommend you do a breadboard to rule out a case short.

1. Remove all connections to the mobo, but leave CPU and heatsink/fan.
2. Remove mobo (and anything you need to remove prior) from the case, and then place it on a non-conductive surface, like wood or a phonebook.
3. Install one RAM module
4. Install the GPU (video card)
5. Connect the PSU (remember, remove it from the case if need be)
6. Connect the power button from the front panel, OR us a flathead screwdriver to jump the power switch pins.

If this works, then there could be something shorting in the case. Check to see that the back panel isn't warped; doesn't show signs of burns; and ensure that the brass stand-offs are securely tightened in the case.

One last thing, there is a standard troubleshooting guide for boot/display issues. Follow the link in my signature to view the guide.
m
l
August 3, 2010 9:03:46 PM

Uhm maybe I should add that this is not a new computer. The computer starts up and everything (it takes about 15 seconds or something to post but it does) and I can get a display from the integrated card but not from the 9500GT in the PCIe slot. The 9500GT's fan is spinning, but there is no display. It recieves power but nothing happens on the screen. Could this be caused by something shorting in the case?
m
l
Related resources
a c 108 V Motherboard
August 3, 2010 9:35:14 PM

Yes, the 9500GT could actually be causing the short, that is why I recommened testing for shorts before sucumbing to the possibility of purchasing new hardware.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 3, 2010 9:54:22 PM

Could be a short, or his PSU could be dying, and not supplying enough power anymore, and it could be a wrong bios setting, aka PCI/PEG setting.
m
l
August 4, 2010 8:50:00 PM

OK guys thanks a lot I'll have another look.
m
l
August 6, 2010 8:20:38 PM

Right I checked the BIOS for any wierd PCIe settings and found none. Then I tested the system with a different PSU and still had the problem. After all that I removed the mobo from the case, placed it on my wooden table and tested again with the same result. Is it time to order a new mobo?

Just thought I should tell you guys this: When the 9500GT is not plugged into the slot, the computer posts nearly straight away after I hit the power button. But if it is it takes about 10s or more. Any idea why this might be happening?

Thanx.
m
l
a c 108 V Motherboard
August 7, 2010 12:32:59 AM

The last thing I can think of is to use another known working GPU in the potentially bad PCI-e slot. If you can get another card to work on the mobo, then the problem isn't the mobo. Otherwise, you could just replace the mobo.
m
l
August 14, 2010 1:16:28 PM

Right tested the slot with a different card and still no luck. Guess it's time to go shopping...
m
l
!