• External Hard Drive
  • Music
  • Disk Drive
  • Format
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 28, 2011 6:45:48 PM

Hello,
I recently put some music on my external hard drive from my old computer and I want to put it on my laptop to connect with itunes so I can put it on my Ipod. I was able to put some of the music on my laptop from the external hard drive, but I just tried to do it again this morning and the error message came up " You need to format disk drive before you can use it." I do not understand why it is saying this since I was just putting music on my laptop with this drive last night. I do not want to re-format the drive because I do not want to loose all the music that is on it. Another message came up that said:
" F:// is not accessible.
The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted. "

I do not know if this is related, but a few days ago I uninstalled this program call "Bonjour" thinking that is was an old french language program that I had downloaded, and a message came up that it was related to sharing music on my ipod. It said that in order to get it back, I had to uninstall itunes and re-install it. I have not done this because I don't know if my music will be saved since it is not saved on the computer, but on the external hard drive that is not working.
Please help me to recover my external hard drive. Thank you, Terra

More about : format disk drive

December 28, 2011 6:55:33 PM

What OS is your computer using? Windows?
m
l
December 28, 2011 7:03:13 PM

wiyosaya said:
What OS is your computer using? Windows?

Windows 7
m
l
December 30, 2011 3:17:24 AM

Being Windows 7, I suggest one of two things.

First, reinstall iTunes, then try the transfer again. If this solves the problem and you want to continue to transfer music with this drive, leave Bonjour and iTunes installed.

Two, it is possible that the drive was disconnected while the OS had files open. The proper way to disconnect a USB hard drive in Windows 7 is to click the "arrow" in the task bar - when you hover over the arrow, it says "show hidden icons." Then move your mouse cursor over the various icons that are shown until you see the message "Safely remove hardware and eject media". Click on that icon, and select eject removable disk. The icon looks like a USB plug.

If the drive was removed without doing this, the drive could have been damaged, and may need to be reformatted. If it is an actual hard drive rather than an flash drive, it should be possible to reformat it. If it is a flash drive, formatting it might make it unusable. I realize this may not be the answer that you would like to hear, but it might be the only option to get the drive working again. Please be aware that formatting the drive will erase everything from it; however, it is the only way that I know to make the drive useable again. There might be other ways, but I am unaware of any.

If the drive is really old, it could just be failing if it has been used a lot. In that case, formatting might not help.
m
l
December 30, 2011 8:03:51 PM

wiyosaya said:
Being Windows 7, I suggest one of two things.

First, reinstall iTunes, then try the transfer again. If this solves the problem and you want to continue to transfer music with this drive, leave Bonjour and iTunes installed.

Two, it is possible that the drive was disconnected while the OS had files open. The proper way to disconnect a USB hard drive in Windows 7 is to click the "arrow" in the task bar - when you hover over the arrow, it says "show hidden icons." Then move your mouse cursor over the various icons that are shown until you see the message "Safely remove hardware and eject media". Click on that icon, and select eject removable disk. The icon looks like a USB plug.

If the drive was removed without doing this, the drive could have been damaged, and may need to be reformatted. If it is an actual hard drive rather than an flash drive, it should be possible to reformat it. If it is a flash drive, formatting it might make it unusable. I realize this may not be the answer that you would like to hear, but it might be the only option to get the drive working again. Please be aware that formatting the drive will erase everything from it;
however, it is the only way that I know to make the drive useable again. There might be other ways, but I am unaware of any.

My concern with uninstalling iTunes would whether or not I lost the music that I had on iTunes since the Music on there was not saved on my computer. If I uninstalled iTunes, would the music erase?

If the drive is really old, it could just be failing if it has been used a lot. In that case, formatting might not help.

m
l
September 17, 2012 2:49:25 AM

Tacrowl said:
Hello,
I recently put some music on my external hard drive from my old computer and I want to put it on my laptop to connect with itunes so I can put it on my Ipod. I was able to put some of the music on my laptop from the external hard drive, but I just tried to do it again this morning and the error message came up " You need to format disk drive before you can use it." I do not understand why it is saying this since I was just putting music on my laptop with this drive last night. I do not want to re-format the drive because I do not want to loose all the music that is on it. Another message came up that said:
" F:// is not accessible.
The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted. "

I do not know if this is related, but a few days ago I uninstalled this program call "Bonjour" thinking that is was an old french language program that I had downloaded, and a message came up that it was related to sharing music on my ipod. It said that in order to get it back, I had to uninstall itunes and re-install it. I have not done this because I don't know if my music will be saved since it is not saved on the computer, but on the external hard drive that is not working.
Please help me to recover my external hard drive. Thank you, Terra

Hi
Sorry Friend, I can't help you, because I'm also suffering from that kinds of problem. If you have any Idea to share me please. My Email Id is : ajitghimire@gmail.com
m
l
September 17, 2012 2:52:55 AM

Hi

My computer cannot format my External hard drive. I tried many time but computer can't format my drive. Please suggest me What to do?

Ajit
m
l
September 17, 2012 3:02:20 AM

Hi

My computer cannot format my External hard drive. I tried many time but computer can't format my drive. Please suggest me What to do?

Ajit
m
l
December 8, 2013 3:25:12 PM

Sorry to post on an old thread but I'm new and think i have a workaround.

I've had this issue a few times, the way i did fixed it well workaround really was to

(some of my explanations might be wrong but this is how i understand it)

Download AVG Recovery tool
http://www.avg.com/gb-en/download.prd-arl

what you want out of there really is a program called midnight commander. This tool is awesome for recovering what's on a HDD that isn't working correctly as it boots before windows from the CD or USB stick. So you can either download it as an ISO then burn it or USB or ZIP to put it on a blank pen drive or CD.

Anyway

Once you've burnt it and booted your machine from CD/USB you'll get some options, I think the midnight commander is under other options or something you'll have to look for it.

Now once you've booted to it, on the left panel you'll see a list of directories. look in all of them to find info you recognise that's on your HDD. Look on the bottom and you'll see some shortcuts F1-12 that do different things press the copy and you'll get a pop-up that says where you want to copy the info to and a path of what you want to copy.

You can either copy it to your computer in a location of your choosing or to another HDD. It takes some playing with to workout what does what but once you get it it'll copy the files one at a time and take ages but you'll have your info.

Now once you've done that and you want to format the drive reboot the machine, go to disk management (right click on my computer>manage>disk management select your HDD right click and format.

As the previous comments said the HDD might be damaged or the power might not be pushing out correctly. You could try another power adapter or just buy another HDD or internal HDD with a caddy.

Oh and the bonjour thing just run the setup of iTunes again, if you have a repair or reinstall then you have a winner.
m
l
!