Sign in with
Your question

How do I update my processor inspiron 530

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
March 15, 2010 12:07:26 AM

Hello, I have had my Dell Inspiron 530 for about a year now and I have upgraded the RAM (from 1g to 6g total) and the video card (NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT), but I am unsure of how to upgrade my processor and or mobo.

I am a pretty computer savvy just having some doubts of my personal intelligence and was hoping for some advice from someone more capable.

I would like to know what is compatible and I should be able to figure out the rest ;) . Thanks guys!

More about : update processor inspiron 530

a c 105 à CPUs
March 15, 2010 12:46:45 AM

check the dell forum/web site and see what was the fastest processor sold on that unit

also upgrade your BIOS prior to installing the new CPU

i'm guessing your motherboard is a BTX so upgrading it would be more difficult
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 15, 2010 12:53:04 AM

FYI
The Inspiron 530 has two variants of motherboards, both made by Foxconn and based on the G33M series. The G33M02 which supports up to Core 2 Duo processors and the DG33M03, which supports up to Core 2 Quad processors. Inspiron 530 systems sold with Pentium Dual-Core or Core 2 Duo processors can not be upgraded to Core 2 Quad processors without adding at least a 350W power supply and swapping motherboards to the DG33M03 motherboard. The reason the G33M02 doesn't support Core 2 Quad processors is because it only has 6 voltage regulator ICs, the DG33M03 has 11.
m
l
Related resources
March 15, 2010 2:09:53 AM

Yeah I was reading up on the Dell forums before you even replied and pretty much what I found out is that it would be better money spent if I sold my current computer and did a complete overhaul considering I can only upgrade it so much.

So thank yo so much for you help but I think I am just going to attempt to invent in a new computer.

P.S. this website is fantastic.
m
l
March 15, 2010 2:53:13 PM

Gaming is the #1 factor, but I also use my computer for work and college, which aren't nearly as demanding. Lot's of multitasking for work and college, like both my monitors have about 3 pages each up with 1-2 programs running as well.

My budget is $700 - $1000 roughly, more if I can sell or even re use some parts from my current computer.

I was thinking if I bought just a case and put it together myself it would be cheaper, but what do you think? I am still learning all the hardware stuff.
m
l
March 16, 2010 12:23:18 AM

I play WoW competitively and I am going to be playing Starcraft 2 and diablo 3.

And yeah I am capable of putting one together myself, me and my uncle used to build old beat up computers from trash parts just to do it. But that was a long time ago heh.
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 16, 2010 12:47:07 AM

Mesolavos said:
I play WoW competitively and I am going to be playing Starcraft 2 and diablo 3.

And yeah I am capable of putting one together myself, me and my uncle used to build old beat up computers from trash parts just to do it. But that was a long time ago heh.

the parts are faster but they still do the same things

some articles for you on choosing parts for a rig

yougamers
http://www.yougamers.com/articles/26436_the_winter_2009...

anandtech
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3739

Tom's
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/bestconfigs-build-pc,9...
m
l
!