Sign in with
Your question

Looking for last minute opinions before I buy today

Last response: in Systems
January 9, 2010 12:41:21 AM

I am ready to buy, Just wanted some last minute opinions (Mainly to confirm compatability), before I dive in!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (may be buying today)

BUDGET RANGE: (Pretty much around my limit with these parts)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (Gaming (World of Warcraft, but I like all games), music and movies..movies...movies, maybe sometime add the capablility of recoring (singing))

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (Already have the case, harddrives, mouse, keyboard, monitor)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (newegg, Tiger Direct, Zipzoomfly)

PARTS PREFERENCES: (Sticking with Intel chip and Modular PS with (1) 12v rail (I guess))

OVERCLOCKING: May try a bit of overclocking, but thats what I thought with my last build and I didn't.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (Currently running 24" @ 1920x1200, may upgrade to 30" second half of 2010)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: will be price compairing today...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case: (Already have it) COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
I have this case waiting to be filled..

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - Xtreme Design w/ SLI, CrossfireX, True SATA 6Gb/s +USB 3.0
I liked the look of the EVGA Classified, but wasn't going up to $400

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Heatsink/Fan: COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

Arctic Silver: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Same as my last build

RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail Intel X58 chipset core i7 6GB kit
I was probably going to pick up 2 sets of these....

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
I will forever be hooked on modular

Video Card: (Already have it) EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail
This is a carry over from my current PC..

Sound Card: (reusing from current PC) CREATIVE LABS X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion
I will either swap this from my current rig, or maybe just run the onboard. I would like to record singing on ym PC, but need to research it.

Hard Drive: Reusing from current PC) Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Carryover from my current PC, along with my other (5) hard drives.

DVD: I will just reuse the burned that I currently have...

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
I have been running this on my PC now and I have not found any reason to go to the prof or ultimate version.
January 9, 2010 1:35:08 AM

A few things

The HSF is a bit over priced you would be fine with a Xiggy dark knight or CM 212 and be ok to OC to 3.4 3.6 gigs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My xiggy works well only thing i dont like about it is the rubber pegs to hold on the fan. I think the clips would be easier to replace the fan if it went out.

The PSU is fine for 6 HDD one GTX 285 and OCing the i7 920 but if you did go SLI i would look into a bigger one

PS that should be one hell of a hoard killer :) 
m
l
January 9, 2010 1:17:18 PM

Thanks niklas_13, I know it's a bit of a long read....
I actually had the Dark Knight down as my second choice.

As for the SLI, I would think about adding a second card later, but it always seems that it is more beneficial to just upgrade to the newest single card.
But the more I look at it, the more I think I will go with the 850W anyway.
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2010 2:48:17 PM

Does anyone have last minute comments/opinions on this build? I price comparing now, between Newegg, ZipzoomFly and Tiger Direct.
I think everything is ok, but was hoping mainly for some compatability comfirmations.
m
l
January 10, 2010 4:02:06 PM

If you live by a microcenter look @ the CPU price there i have seen i7 920 for 199.00 other then that it looks like a good build. Maybe down the road add a SSD and a larger storage drive and a 2nd GTX 285 if you want SLI.
m
l
January 10, 2010 4:15:01 PM

Thanks again for the input...
About 1-1/2 hours from MicroCenter, not close enough.
SSD: maybe swap out to one later, just don't know enough about them yet..
SLI: who knows, if the prices come down enough..
m
l
January 10, 2010 5:28:35 PM

Sounds good

It seems microcenter raised there price to 228.99 thats 60 less then newegg for the i7 920 only you can decide if 60 bucks is worth the drive.

GL with the build, hope all goes well and enjoy it
m
l
!