Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE overclocking HELP!

Last response: in Overclocking
August 9, 2012 8:11:26 PM

So i got my PC about 4 months ago and i was now thinking about overclocking... but iam a noob in overclocking so i thought you could help me out :sol:  Im runnig my 955 be with stock cooler with default clock speed. my idle temp is 38-41c, load temp is only 48-49c (while playing BF3 on max settings etc.) :o .

But while running prime95 my load temp goes to 57c but iam not sure if i can overclock after seeing prime95 results... but prime95-like stress tests never happen in real sitiuations... like when playing games. I turned down my voltage from 1,4 to
1,35v and i dont see a temp change (which is odd). Since auto-overclock is gives stupid results (too much voltage). I wanna try to safe overclock manually. But iam worried that my Motherboard might be garbage! :cry: . I dont want to increase voltage over 1,4 because my PSU is crappy.

PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955 BE
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6850 HD
Motherboard: ASUS M5A87 870 (LINK: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A87/#ove...)
RAM: 1x Kingston 4gb 1333mhz 1x Corsair Vengeange 4GB 1666mhz = 8GB
PSU: 500w garbage PSU that came with my case
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2012 8:22:03 PM

I would get a better cooler before OC. Your prime temps are actually a tad highier than I would prefer after an OC. (55 is my personal limit)
August 9, 2012 8:22:43 PM

Z1NONLY said:
I would get a better cooler before OC. Your prime temps are actually a tad highier than I would prefer after an OC. (55 is my personal limit)

But you never encounter such temps when playing games... prime95 isnt really "realistic" btw those were my temps on stock clock
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2012 9:55:16 PM

It's a safety-cushion thing.

Overclocking itself is a risk, so we all have to make our own risk/reward judgments.

The fact that you your prime temps are this high now mean that they will be even higher with an OC. (Unless you are one of the lucky few who are able to overclock and undervolt at the same time.)

If you want to go by game temps rather than synthetic load tests, that's your prerogative. However synthetic load tests produce consistent, repeatable results where game temps will vary from game to game, and from situation to situation within the same game.

If your prime temps drive the CPU into overheating, (say, with an OC) then that means your setup is capable of self destructing (or reducing its lifespan) and you must then make sure that you don't run a new game or program that pushes it past its limits.

If your temps are good with a couple hours of prime, then you can run any game/program without fear of overheating your CPU.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2012 10:53:25 PM

You admitted you have a garbage psu, so no overclocking for you.

Besides, I see no point in overclocking when your running a single low end video card.
August 10, 2012 12:27:51 PM

Z1NONLY said:
It's a safety-cushion thing.

Overclocking itself is a risk, so we all have to make our own risk/reward judgments.

The fact that you your prime temps are this high now mean that they will be even higher with an OC. (Unless you are one of the lucky few who are able to overclock and undervolt at the same time.)

If you want to go by game temps rather than synthetic load tests, that's your prerogative. However synthetic load tests produce consistent, repeatable results where game temps will vary from game to game, and from situation to situation within the same game.

If your prime temps drive the CPU into overheating, (say, with an OC) then that means your setup is capable of self destructing (or reducing its lifespan) and you must then make sure that you don't run a new game or program that pushes it past its limits.

If your temps are good with a couple hours of prime, then you can run any game/program without fear of overheating your CPU.

Hmm i thought i undervolted it to 1,35 but its actually still at 1,4 soo my temps are incorrect. After i now undervolted to 1,35 (for real) my temps went from 40c to 35c :D  but for some reason my coretemp shows that voltage is at 1,025v but i set it at 1,35v and then it keeps jumping up and down from 1,025 to 1,35v.... HELP???
a c 94 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2012 2:08:44 PM

Tweak on the LLC to minimize your volt swings.

Your temps look fine -- and I suspect at stock speeds you may be able to drop a little more volt (to 1.3-1.325v).

Running two different RAM sticks is gonna put a hurt on your overall OC but even with the stock cooler you should be able to run 3.6GHz+ -- either using the CPU multiplier or the system clock.

If you have a decent chip, you may approach 3.8GHz or so at 1.375v with the stock cooler and still keep your temps at load in the mid-50s.

August 10, 2012 2:33:38 PM

Wisecracker said:

Your temps look fine -- and I suspect at stock speeds you may be able to drop a little more volt (to 1.3-1.325v).

Running two different RAM sticks is gonna put a hurt on your overall OC but even with the stock cooler you should be able to run 3.6GHz+ -- either using the CPU multiplier or the system clock.

If you have a decent chip, you may approach 3.8GHz or so at 1.375v with the stock cooler and still keep your temps at load in the mid-50s.

Thx and i figured out now why my voltage was jumping... there is a green button in the top right corner in AMD overdrive that i clicked before changing volt.. now i clicked on the button again and the voltage is now stable. Ima try to raise it to 3,8 ghz on 1,375v on stock cooler and see what happens
August 10, 2012 2:44:47 PM

Wisecracker said:

No succes in overclocking to 3,8ghz at 1,375v. Screen went all fucked up when i started prime95 (large fft test)

What voltage would you prefer for 3,6ghz?
August 10, 2012 3:28:30 PM

Wisecracker said:

F yeah!! I sucessfully OC'ed my cpu to 3,6ghz (3671 MHZ to be exact) on 1,4v and thats the limit cause whenever i turn the multiplier up to 17,5x and stress test, my pc starts freaking out (screen going,black,flickering etc) ive tried with diffrent voltages too when im on 3,8ghz but it doesnt help.

Well now i know that is 3671mhz is my limit (when i overclocked the temps didnt increase...they decreased which sounds completely fucked up)
!