Asus p7p55 with i7 875k using Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 1600MHZ will not boot. Pleas

DeLonga

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Hello,

I am using an Asus p7p55 mobo with an i7 875k cpu and 6GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 1600MHZ. I made sure to get the memory specified in the user manual. But it still will not boot, DIAG_DRAM turns on. When memOK! is held down DIAG_CPU leds alternates flashing with the DIAG_DRAM in the beginning when it reboots to test a new timing setting.

I have tried 3 sticks, 2 sticks in A1 and B1, then 1 stick tried in A1 then in B1. All had same issue. I installed the CPU in the right direction the heat sink is attached the not too much thermal paste and the fans are running.

There is power to the whole case including the GPU (EVGA GTX460) the fan turns on. The usb flash drive inserted (with the bios) flashes when power is turned on as well.

I have gone through this check list http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems to make sure everything was correctly connected. Which led me here. There isn't much on trouble shooting this mobo that I have found. Please advise. Thanks

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Dual channel is not RAM specific. It is how the motherboard operates RAM. If you install 3 RAM sticks in a dual-channel motherboard as the O.P. does, 2 sticks run in dual channel, one stick runs in single channel provided you install RAM sticks correctly.

Asus P7P55D (if this is your motherboard, or better look into your manual) supports unbuffered, non-ECC RAM and does not support DIMMs made up of 512 Mb (64 MB) chips or less. Therefore, you should look for the specs of your RAM and make sure the sticks comply with these features: (1) non-ECC and unbuffered (2) chips comprizing RAM module being 512 Mb (64 MB) and up (3) memory voltage less than 1.65 V.

Note: If you have memory problems, either you have incorrect RAM modules or you might have damaged some pins in the CPU socket/CPU (Intel has integrated memory controller in the CPU).

The Corsair web site has a ram configurator. For your motherboard, your ram does not appear on the list of supported part numbers:
http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1105953#other_modules
It is not clear to me why not.

Your ram is, indeed on the mobo QVL list.

Have you populated the ram in the correct slots? On ASUS boards, the proper slots are not the ones you might normally think. Check the mobo manual.

I suggest you open an incident with Corsair to resolve the issue. It is always possible that the ram is defective. That possibility is remote since no single stick works either.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

Corsair does not list this RAM kit for his motherboard because it contains three RAM sticks. For his motherboard, kits of two RAM sticks should be offered. But you can make kits of two or three RAM sticks from the same RAM type depending on how motherboard may use the kits. You use three, let's say, A RAM sticks for tripple channel motherboards and use two A RAM sticks for dual channel motherboards. It is awkward to offer tripple channel kit to a dual channel motherboard owner. Am I clear ?

DeLonga

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Regardless if the mother board is meant for tripple channel or not it shouldn't be having the same problem when only one stick is inserted.

Suat is also correct in that, when there are 3 sticks inserted it just does a dual channel for the 2 in A1 B1 slots and then does a single channel for the other.

This is going to be the third time buying ram for this thing, its becoming frustrating especially because I want to make sure it is just the memory. If it is not I dont want to go past the return period if the cpu is actually damaged.

I disassemble the heat sink and looked at the cpu it didn't seem to have any obvious problems (like missing or broken pins etc.)

Also when handling all this stuff Ive been using those medical latex gloves under the impression that this would cut down on the possibility of static electricity damaging the components.

CMP4GX3M2A1600C8 and TR3X6G1600C8D are the exact same memory just one is a tripple channel kit and one is a dual... So I am kind of reluctant to purchase the dual kit if I am going to run into the same issue.

I also read in the user manual that the mobo only allows for the memory to run at 1600GHZ in single channel mode... that seems pretty bs as well.

DeLonga

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB (3x2048MB) Triple Channel Kits DDR3 Memory, PC3-12800 1600MHz, Unbuffered, 8-8-8-24

Description

2 GB, Non-ECC Unbuffered 600 MHz, DIMM 240-pin
Specs
Released 4 months ago
Capacity 2 GB
Form Factor DIMM 240-pin
ECC / Registered Non-ECC Unbuffered
Bus Clock 600 MHz
MPN TR3X6G1600C8D

Im not sure if this fits (2) but im pretty sure it does seeing as how the memory is higher then 64MB