Sign in with
Your question

SSD & existing drive for wifes laptop

Last response: in Storage
December 28, 2011 8:46:53 PM

My wife has a Dell laptop (has 2 drive bays); currently has a 120gb for the whole kit&kaboodle... I would love to give her my "old" 40GB SSD as a boot drive but she has sooooo many things installed (downloaded games $$ mostly). I'm just wondering if there is a way to install the SSD as the boot drive, keeping all other existing info intact. I'm wagering not so much. :(  On my rig I don't care if I have to reinstall windows whenever but, ya know, the wife...
She is using around 65GB of her drive so it's not like I can just clone it
a b G Storage
December 28, 2011 9:37:49 PM

hi ericmlaing!
65gb is total programs currently installed in her Drive? (windows,games...)

How much memory RAM does her notebook?
if 4gb or more you can free some spaces from deleting hibernation and pagefile ...!

please write more detail about notebook specs!

thanks!:) 
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 180 G Storage
December 28, 2011 10:13:34 PM

ericmlaing said:
My wife has a Dell laptop (has 2 drive bays); currently has a 120gb for the whole kit&kaboodle... I would love to give her my "old" 40GB SSD as a boot drive but she has sooooo many things installed (downloaded games $$ mostly). I'm just wondering if there is a way to install the SSD as the boot drive, keeping all other existing info intact. I'm wagering not so much. :(  On my rig I don't care if I have to reinstall windows whenever but, ya know, the wife...
She is using around 65GB of her drive so it's not like I can just clone it

If the programs are installed in files and are not recorded in the registry, then perhaps. I think it would be better to bite the bullet and clone to a 120gb ssd. The perfomance is wonderful.
m
l
!