Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

activating the commercial skip etc. on the 55XX replay units

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 8:15:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

At one of the web sites that I have visited lately, I saw a statement
that the "later" 55XX replay units cannot "easily" be reprogrammed to
give the features that the 50XX series had, but earlier production units
could be. Did they change the hardware, or did the lawyers screw things
up for everybody like they normally do???
Any helpful suggestions on how to retro a 5500 unit??

Jeff
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 8:15:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Jeff O'Malley wrote:
> At one of the web sites that I have visited lately, I saw a
> statement that the "later" 55XX replay units cannot "easily" be
> reprogrammed to give the features that the 50XX series had, but earlier
> production units could be. Did they change the hardware, or did the
> lawyers screw things up for everybody like they normally do???
> Any helpful suggestions on how to retro a 5500 unit??
>
> Jeff

CA and IVS cannot be easily turned on on ANY 55XX. The software checks
the model and resets the registry entries that previously easily allowed
these changes.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 8:15:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

ReplayTV a few months ago decided to make it more difficult to mod the
5500 series by updating their OS software. Essentially it cannot be
done now without jumping through a bunch of fire hoops. Too much
trouble for most people. It was sweet while it lasted.

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 12:18:27 -0500, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Jeff O'Malley wrote:
>> At one of the web sites that I have visited lately, I saw a
>> statement that the "later" 55XX replay units cannot "easily" be
>> reprogrammed to give the features that the 50XX series had, but earlier
>> production units could be. Did they change the hardware, or did the
>> lawyers screw things up for everybody like they normally do???
>> Any helpful suggestions on how to retro a 5500 unit??
>>
>> Jeff
>
>CA and IVS cannot be easily turned on on ANY 55XX. The software checks
>the model and resets the registry entries that previously easily allowed
>these changes.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 12:00:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Jeff O'Malley wrote:

> At one of the web sites that I have visited lately, I saw a
> statement that the "later" 55XX replay units cannot "easily" be
> reprogrammed to give the features that the 50XX series had, but earlier
> production units could be. Did they change the hardware, or did the
> lawyers screw things up for everybody like they normally do???
> Any helpful suggestions on how to retro a 5500 unit??
>
> Jeff

From what I read you can program 55xx machines to do 50xx like stuff

The procedure is easy or hard depending on your internet/windows expierence.

Basically you set up a server on your computer, you load a file onto it,
you then cause the router to think that the replay update site is your
computer. your replay downloads the "update" from your system and now
thinks it's a 5000, yor then re-set the router so it sends the replay
to the proper site... THis works till they update your machine again

Note... I don't know how to do the re-direct steps or how to set up my
computer to act like the replay update site
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 1:41:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

John in Detroit wrote:
>
> Note... I don't know how to do the re-direct steps or how to set up my
> computer to act like the replay update site

Setup WiRNS on your computer to act as the RTV server's proxy (where all
the "magical" plugins take care of you), and set your ReplayTV's IP
config manually to use your computer's ip as the DNS (no router trickery
involved)
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 3:06:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Arcade Freaque wrote:

>
>
> John in Detroit wrote:
>
>>
>> Note... I don't know how to do the re-direct steps or how to set up my
>> computer to act like the replay update site
>
>
> Setup WiRNS on your computer to act as the RTV server's proxy (where all
> the "magical" plugins take care of you), and set your ReplayTV's IP
> config manually to use your computer's ip as the DNS (no router trickery
> involved)
>
yup, if I knew how to do that it would be easy...

But like I said, I don't, and to be honest, I don't want to either

I'm thinking it will be easier to set up DVArchive on a Linux box and
then point it to a well chosen folder for storage.

That same folder will be the "root" folder for an FTP server
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 3:06:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:06:22 GMT, John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote
>yup, if I knew how to do that it would be easy...
>
>But like I said, I don't, and to be honest, I don't want to either
>
>I'm thinking it will be easier to set up DVArchive on a Linux box and
>then point it to a well chosen folder for storage.
>
>That same folder will be the "root" folder for an FTP server

I heard there is a place to freely download the TV schedules for the DVArchive
server... do you know where? Thanx.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 3:06:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:06:22 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Arcade Freaque wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> John in Detroit wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Note... I don't know how to do the re-direct steps or how to set up my
>>> computer to act like the replay update site
>>
>>
>> Setup WiRNS on your computer to act as the RTV server's proxy (where all
>> the "magical" plugins take care of you), and set your ReplayTV's IP
>> config manually to use your computer's ip as the DNS (no router trickery
>> involved)
>>
>yup, if I knew how to do that it would be easy...
>
>But like I said, I don't, and to be honest, I don't want to either
>
>I'm thinking it will be easier to set up DVArchive on a Linux box and
>then point it to a well chosen folder for storage.
>
>That same folder will be the "root" folder for an FTP server

I haven't tried that (I have had a FTP server before, but not from the
directory DVA uses). When setting up the FTP server, be sure that IS
the root. Apparently, a low of people with FTP servers (or
peer-to-peer) end up sharing more than they meant to.

--
55 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 3:16:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 10:16:15 -0600, Boll Weevil
<washerdryer@maytag.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:06:22 GMT, John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote
>>yup, if I knew how to do that it would be easy...
>>
>>But like I said, I don't, and to be honest, I don't want to either
>>
>>I'm thinking it will be easier to set up DVArchive on a Linux box and
>>then point it to a well chosen folder for storage.
>>
>>That same folder will be the "root" folder for an FTP server
>
>I heard there is a place to freely download the TV schedules for the DVArchive
>server... do you know where? Thanx.

DVA seems to get the schedule from the same place as the Replays
themselves (which helps explain why you can't use the TV guide feature
of DVA without at least one Replay present).

Supposedly, these guides come from the same place as
http://www.zap2it.com/ . You could try there. Like Replay or DVA, you
enter the ZIP code and select a provider. That's what I did before
getting DVA to work.

== a little bit OT ==

The DVA guide is not always the same as the Replay guide. If your
system has channel numbers > 999, the Replay will map them to 3-digit
ones. DVA will not, and still uses the 4-digit numbers. It would work
better if they did the same, but they don't.

== even more OT ==

ZIP (in addresses) stands for "Zone Improvement Program". ZIP is
replacement for the old zones used in big cities, where you'd have
things like "Chicago 3, Illinois".

--
55 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 2:27:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Boll Weevil wrote:

>
> I heard there is a place to freely download the TV schedules for the DVArchive
> server... do you know where? Thanx.


There are a bunch of them. However DVArchive should come already set up
to do that when you tell it to.

You can use the GemStar site as well, or Zap2It My other digital video
recorder uses Gem Star (it's a ATI-TVwonder card in //main
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 2:29:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:


> The DVA guide is not always the same as the Replay guide. If your
> system has channel numbers > 999, the Replay will map them to 3-digit
> ones. DVA will not, and still uses the 4-digit numbers. It would work
> better if they did the same, but they don't.

I've updated the TV Listings when I was not at home using DVA, so either
DVA "Remembered" my Replay or it does not need it. Don't know which
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 2:32:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> I haven't tried that (I have had a FTP server before, but not from the
> directory DVA uses). When setting up the FTP server, be sure that IS
> the root. Apparently, a low of people with FTP servers (or
> peer-to-peer) end up sharing more than they meant to.
>

Oh yes... I tend to be more than a bit paranoid when I'm working around
networks and the internet.

However in this case when I get it the way I want it

1: It will very deffently be the root
2: It will be the only thing of "interest" on the machine

Long term plan is to put the Replay, and likely an ATI-video card, in my
daughter's house (Cable vision equiped) hit the road with a sat-internet
connection and download shows from the Linux box via FTP. Use the
remote web based set up for the Replay itself and her high speed network
connnection to stream, "Standard" quality is workable if I've read the
specs right
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 4:28:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:29:01 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>
>
>> The DVA guide is not always the same as the Replay guide. If your
>> system has channel numbers > 999, the Replay will map them to 3-digit
>> ones. DVA will not, and still uses the 4-digit numbers. It would work
>> better if they did the same, but they don't.
>
>I've updated the TV Listings when I was not at home using DVA, so either
>DVA "Remembered" my Replay or it does not need it. Don't know which

I just tried that and found that it would. Looks like the Replay is
required only the first time.

--
55 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
!