Hard Drive Corruption and Formatting

auxny

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
HI guys,

I've done a bunch of research and haven't found the right answer.

So I own a 500gb HP Simplesave portable hard drive, and the other day I was writing a file to it and it disconnected by accident, so the hard drive files went corrupt. I've already recovered my files off of it by using linux to copy them off, right now its in unalocatted format. I want to format it so it basically writes 0's to the whole thing, and quickly.

i Tried using HDD Regenerator, but that scans it sector by sector and then repairs each sector. i have around 9 million sectors on the drive, and it estimates it will take like 60 days to complete. But HDD regenerator fixes the sectors so that you can recover files. I don't need the files I just want the drive back blank like I bought it. How do I do this without formatting it sector by sector?

I tried windows 7 quick format but it says I'm unable to complete it when I try, and when I try to format it normally I get stuck around 14%.

what do i do now? :pt1cable:

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
Sounds like your drive is permanently damaged if you can't do a normall format. That shouldn't happen from an accitdental disconnect, unless the disconnect was something like: drive fell off table onto hard ground, wich could cause a head crash.

Another solution that might work is to pull the drive out of it's case and put it into a desktop to format or run HDD Regenerator (this will be at least an order of magnitude faster). If you have a laptop you can put the damaged dtive into it and then boot from a memstcik to do the repair. Use something like Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (UBCD4Win) on the USB key.