Sign in with
Your question

Broken Graphics Card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2010 4:30:59 PM

Edit: I have a 4890 asus overclock and a P7P55D asus EVO board.

It has two PCI slots, and I tried Switching it one from the other.

Now ATI tool is finding no artifacts or issues...

and Moderwarfare 2 doesn't crash.

However it still black screens while trying to run TF2, (still has input) and computer locks up. No sound ect.

What the hell switching PCI EXPRESS slots would imply a bad motherboard?

I RMAed a graphics card that constantly crashed to asus.

When i got it back today, it was the same exact one with the same serial.
I thought they fixed it but its having the exact same problems that it had before.
What should I do?
EDIT:
Is this a symptom
The overlapping messed up color, (black added by me, hiding friends email)

More about : broken graphics card

January 4, 2010 4:35:14 PM

I'd go complain to them, or test with a different GPU if possible, to see if it actually is the GPU's problem.

But complaining to them would seem like the most viable option.
m
l
January 4, 2010 5:21:41 PM

I have none available to me.. all I can do is run GPU stress tests which it fails immediately. That could only conclude to the mobo or the gpu...?
m
l
Related resources
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 4, 2010 5:26:16 PM

Its probably not the motherboard, Have you even considered that your PSU might not be up to the task?.

What PSU (powersupply) are you using, what make and model including the wattage?

Have you got the correct/latest drivers installed for graphics card?

Also you haven't stated what graphics card it is. Could you also state the rest of your system please.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 5:59:01 PM

You can always call them and ask what was done to the card. If they say it was tested and was tested fine, I would put a guess that it maybe something else. Maybe your PSU. As asked, what are your PSU specs? What card it is anyways?

I doubt they just sent your card back without at least testing it. Also, there are some issue that can be fixed on the existing card. I've never had an issue with ASUS though.
m
l
January 4, 2010 6:44:03 PM

1 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM -
1 ASUS P7P55D EVO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard -
1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System
1 Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core
1 ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU
1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
1 Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
1 PLEXTOR 24X DVD/CD Writer Black SATA Model PX-880SA LightScribe
1 CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire
1 ASUS EAH4890/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

750W on a single gpu
9.12 CC installed
smart doctor asus vga drivers ect, i even clean installed twice nice installing different combos of drivers.

It crashes on 3D games after 10 minutes of gameplay to a black green and repeating sound. IE BSOD.

I can run FF, ect web surf, youtube non taxing 3d things..

the thing doesn't break 45 degrees and dies on all 3D games which is riddiculous for a card thats suppose to overclock and be build for games...

any help would be appreciated.
I expected the best from Asus, it was annoying to not have an inactive new system for 10 days.
m
l
January 4, 2010 7:20:39 PM

Have you tried the card in different PCI slots? Most benchmarking software inherently tests other aspects of the machine while sometimes not reporting useful information during a crash. Try testing other components on a more individual basis as well, like memory with memtest86 or prime95 for CPU as well and see if similar crashes take place when the graphics card isn't under a heavy load.

If the crash persists when the graphics card isn't involved it may help rule it out. Or alternatively pinpoint it to the graphics card so you have something to tell Asus tech support.
m
l
a c 1401 U Graphics card
a c 304 Ĉ ASUS
January 4, 2010 8:42:18 PM

Have you checked you ram with memtest? It can as well be the source for the crashing.
m
l
January 4, 2010 9:46:26 PM

rolli59 said:
Have you checked you ram with memtest? It can as well be the source for the crashing.

I have ran mem86+, 3D marks and windows memory tool no errors and prime95 ran for 3 hours. 3 different intervals

Won't plugging it into another PCI slot just slow it down?

my board only has one PCI Express 16x slot but its built for crossfiring and it has another 8X slot, worth it to switch it?. Wouldn't that mean my mobo is broken?
m
l
a c 1401 U Graphics card
a c 304 Ĉ ASUS
January 4, 2010 9:49:04 PM

no error with 3Dmark?
m
l
January 4, 2010 9:54:02 PM

rolli59 said:
no error with 3Dmark?

No errors with 3D mark, unless I overclock it a little, then it freezes to a bright random color and the sound loops.

It freezes on ati tool's artifact detection and it doesn't even start furmarks.

Can't play modern warfare 2 more then 10 minutes before freezing.

Team fortress 2 straight to black and non responsive

CS:S L4D2 all straight to black non responsive

This is so fustrating.... and they BASE all of their testing off of 3Dmarks which doesn't catch any of my errors apparently
m
l
January 4, 2010 9:56:09 PM

Thank you for all the help so far everyone!
Truly a great forum
Any more suggestions please?
m
l
January 4, 2010 10:10:51 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/268230-33-4890-runnin...

What GPU temps are you seeing ?

I've read at least 10 pages of search results, my card is running not even over 50 in MW2 , maybe 60 during 3DMarks. ( and its suppose to be a "overclock version" supposedly exceding high heats yet low heats it dies.

The constant FREEZE on one frame and loop is progressively getting worse, originally i could play for 30-40 minutes before freezing now its only like 5<

Thanks for the suggestion Jack
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 10:12:55 PM

Try a different power cable to your GPU. It may not gettting enough power when loaded. It may be a bad cable. Use a different one. If it doesn't work..

Try a different power supply...

If it can't start furmarks it may likely be POWER LIMITED.
m
l
January 4, 2010 10:22:28 PM

leon2006 said:
Try a different power cable to your GPU. It may not gettting enough power when loaded. It may be a bad cable. Use a different one. If it doesn't work..

Try a different power supply...

If it can't start furmarks it may likely be POWER LIMITED.

it can't start furnmarks as it just freezes at a black screen and loops sound.
ill try another cable but I don't think it explains all the rampant freezing in games. When it freezes in game the video now is STILL THERE, not just a color, and a loop in sound.

I'm confused now since when it freezes in a game and the sound loops and the video loops does that imply a bad mobo?

I''ll try switching power cables! thanks for the suggestion
m
l
a c 1401 U Graphics card
a c 304 Ĉ ASUS
January 4, 2010 10:31:46 PM

Well usually if it is the GPU it would crash out of the application or blue screen! Yours sounds like a broken record can be hdd, mobo, or CPU. What does your event log under admin tools say?
m
l
January 4, 2010 10:40:23 PM

rolli59 said:
Well usually if it is the GPU it would crash out of the application or blue screen! Yours sounds like a broken record can be hdd, mobo, or CPU. What does your event log under admin tools say?

Well apparently mine likes to play games, sometimes its randomally freezing on a frame on a game or just freezing and turning into a solid random color however its all the same.

Looping sound and non responsive. the HDD activity light continues to blink, no lights on my ASUS P557D doesn't blink and sadly not on the gpu.

Hehe theres about 20 "critical ones" from "Source" Kernel-power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. The error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event ID 41

I assumes it from the 20-30 times i had to restart by turning it off manually

Also found this one, Desktop Window Manager,
"the desktop window manager has encountered a fatal error (0x88980406)
m
l
January 5, 2010 12:18:27 AM

rolli59 said:
the fatal error seams to be aero http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2009080914522171...

Thanks for the reply!
Seeems to be single occuring and won't solve it, its only some sort of aero deface. Won't cause massive freezing and failures.

I will attempt to get another 4xxxx or pci card in attempt to properly diagnosis this.

Last question----
1. Does asus give refunds, or trade ups/downs or new cards..

2. And when would it be appropriate to ask for one? or receive one.

I bought this card at early december and its reeking havoc on my schedule doing this whole dance trying to fix my new pc.

Oh and feel free to add any more suggestions. That You think i missed, Thanks Tomshardware!
m
l
January 5, 2010 7:57:04 PM

Random. I changed PCI slots on my card, it stopped crashing for MW2, and i was able to play it for 2 hours however, when i tried to run TF2 it black screened.

I have an ASUS P55D7D EVO i just switched PCI slots and it worked a bit better but it still crashes on tf2. What does that mean?
m
l
January 5, 2010 9:17:57 PM

Hmm ATI tool has been on for 75 minutes with no fault....

Would switching PCI express slots suppose to fix my issue or does that imply a bad graphics card.

Asus said the graphic card wasn't bad. But i thought so but i could be wrong.

Could anyone help ?
m
l
!