Overclocking suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

snorex1

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Hi everyone, i'm kinda new to this over clocking thing and I've read the how to over clock guide but still somewhat confused. Any suggestion would be appreciated. So here is what I'm trying to do, Im currently running a FX-8120 at 3.3ghz (over clocked with my motherboard app(TURBO UCC)) my idle temps are at about 15-20C and 40-45C under load. I'm trying to see if i could achieve at least 3.8-4.0 GHZ with my current build. any advice as to how i could achieve this would be great.

system specs:
CPU : AMD FX-8120 with stock cooler atm ( will replace with a CM V8 if needed)
MB : AsRock 970 Extreme3
GPU : CF XFX HD 6870 DD
RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333mhz
PSU : Rosewill Capstone 750W
Case : Cooler Master 690 KKN1
Have about 5 120mm Sickleflow fans and a 140mm CM fan running.

if any other information is needed, please ask :D

If you have never been in the bios you may want to take it slow right now untill you get familiar with navigating in the bios. A good thing to do would be to take your motherboards owners manual and look through it and go into the bios and see what the manual is refering to and how things are done in the bios. Doing an overclock by the Windows turbo app is a lot different from an overclock by using the bios settings.
The things that you want to get familiar with are the core clock multiplier and the core voltage setting , these are the two settings that are used for overclocking.
You also want to have a lot of patience and time because it can be very tedious to get a stable overclock.
To get to 3.8ghz or 4.0ghz should be fairly easy for that cpu to handle and you will be better off with an aftermarket cpu cooler.

G

Gah, good spec's even stock... just don't see why you didn't shell out the $20-$40 for an ASUS with the 970 chipset.

I always look for the cheapest hardware, but as far as ASRock goes all reviews I have seen have been negative. All pertaining to not being able to contact them in a mannerly rate or them saying it's your fault for this or that to get out of warranties.

MicroCenter around here is flooding with open boxes from ASRock, haha.

I web design and stuff, but still cannot understand why people need 16gigs of RAM.. less for like 3D Imaging or CAD, I suppose?

But yeah that ASRock... I dunno, might want to return it if you still can, just warning you. I've been looking at them for like a year now and complaints just keep piling in the reviews. I spend way too much time thinking about what to buy rather than getting it though, haha.

G

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme3/
^This is your motherboard..Please do not overclock that cpu and add voltage on that motherboard!
It will blow.It's a 4+1 phase,crappy-inductor having, AsRock piece of trash.Don't kill all your hardware, pls.
I tried overclocking on a 4+1 phase AsRock board..It got me:1 dead cpu,1dead PSU,1 dead mobo.
I got the other hardware replaced..but AsRock didn't honor the RMA..I told them to keep their junk.
You need a quality 8-phase board for overclocking that mega-beast of a chip you have.
Sabertooth,Ch4-5,M4a89gtd-pro,Gigabyte 990fxUD3,Biostar Ta990FXE
Biostar is 4+1 phase..but much better components..is not known for blowing up.
And here's the more technical reason as to why complaints on ASRock motherboards keep piling in... the price isn't too good to be true, apparently. The quality is shown through the price. :pfff:

snorex1

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
ah.. i will definitely look into replacing the motherboard out with a sabertooth. altho i did manage to get to 4.0ghz on a antec kuhler 620 at 1.4v, staying at 47-49c at full load, i guess for now i will just go back to stock until i upgrade. thanks for all the replys.

snorex1

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme3/
^This is your motherboard..Please do not overclock that cpu and add voltage on that motherboard!
It will blow.It's a 4+1 phase,crappy-inductor having, AsRock piece of trash.Don't kill all your hardware, pls.
I tried overclocking on a 4+1 phase AsRock board..It got me:1 dead cpu,1dead PSU,1 dead mobo.
I got the other hardware replaced..but AsRock didn't honor the RMA..I told them to keep their junk.
You need a quality 8-phase board for overclocking that mega-beast of a chip you have.
Sabertooth,Ch4-5,M4a89gtd-pro,Gigabyte 990fxUD3,Biostar Ta990FXE
Biostar is 4+1 phase..but much better components..is not known for blowing up.

how do you look at the phases on the motherboard specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.