New system build, have some parts now, need rest this weekend

divpers

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002
I want it to last as long as it possibly can... but Im picky about some things.

Here are the parts I have:

Seasonic X750 gold PSU
Antec p182 case.
Windows 7 64 ultimate
3x Scythe flex 120 fans
1x Scythe Kama 100 HD fan
Keyboard, mouse, monitor (27.5 LG @ 1900res)
Seagate HDs, 2@1.5 for data
WD HD, 1@ .5 for OS.
Fancy-type waterpump from Danger Den (forget name, it was 90).

The case has an in flex fan and an out flex fan. The kama fan pushes for the HD's in the lower chamber, flowing through the PSU and out the back.

My priority is:

Purchased US parts where possible, Local parts from Oregon even better.
Silence (This is a must, if my wife can hear the pc whine, I have to hear my wife whine...and the PC is in the same room as her TV).
Gaming performance (Age of Conan mostly but anything new as well).
Processing power (Fairuse Wizard and Folding @ Home).
Power Efficiency (we buy 100% wind power and it isnt cheap).

I know that I want the Gigabyte ud4p with usb 3.0 because I dont want to buy another motherboard for awhile. I only run 1 video card because 2 video cards use too much power for the gain.

I know I want 1 great video card, I think the 5870 since it will last me longer than the 5850. I must choose the ATI over an nVidia card because I stopped supporting nVidia when they gouged the *** out of people back with the 8800s when they had no competition and I lost all respect for em.

I live in Oregon so would have to be a dumbass not to support the local company our state heavily depends on, so processor is an Intel. i5 750 or i6 860?
I don't mind paying more but 90 bucks is significant. I hear the 750 is just as good for gaming but what about folding and fairuse? Is Hyperthreading going to make it that much faster? Would be nice.... if so.

Ram? I have NO idea. Too many models out too much range.. I am clueless here. I just can't figure out what to look for.

Cooling - the e8400 I have now is quiet with the xigamatek cooler with a scythe fan on it. And the vid card is inaudible as well.

Is there good under 20db cooling for the 5870? Any models it doesnt void the warranty on? I thought I read XFX.
What about for the cpu?

It seems like to go for water cooling I would have to get a Danger Den GPU waterblock for 100 and then one for the CPU for 50. I built my own blocks hooked up to a drinking fountain awhile back for the fun of it, but it was a hassle keeping the insulation great so there was no condensation and I want worry free this time around.

Seems like even though I have the pump it would cost a fair bit to get the 2 water blocks, tubing, resevoir, etc.

But that would keep it nearly dead silent, and the airflow from the scythe fans would not need to be as high either, and then there would be no dust either (Im allergic to dust so our house is in-floor heating and well the PC only currently makes a little-bit of dust but I wouldn't mind doing less).

I dont really know that's why I'm asking, what do you think or advise?

Get familiar with www.silentpcreview.com

I know that I want the Gigabyte ud4p with usb 3.0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614

I must choose the ATI over an nVidia card because I stopped supporting nVidia when they gouged the *** out of people back with the 8800s when they had no competition and I lost all respect for em.

Well if ya gonne worry about that, might have to wait for Larabee :) ..... w/o competition, ATI's DX11 5870 cards are $20 or more higher than on release date.....w/ demand still high, nVidia cards are up too.

Ram? I have NO idea. Too many models out too much range.. I am clueless here. I just can't figure out what to look for.

DRDR 1600 lowest CAS timings you can afford.

Cooling - the e8400 I have now is quiet with the xigamatek cooler with a scythe fan on it. And the vid card is inaudible as well.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks