Sign in with
Your question

First time - Need help choosing parts for all around system

Last response: in Systems
January 9, 2010 4:44:23 AM

Hello,

This is my first attempt at building a computer and have little to no knowledge on it. I have read through forums and guides on different sites here and there (have been researching for the past 3 months) but become confused the more I read :cry: . Anyways, I have also read Homebuilt PC Buying Guide by jbakerlent as well as *Guide to Choosing Parts* by Proximon and am still left with many, many questions....here goes the template for asking advice! :D 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sometime in the next week or so.

BUDGET RANGE: 800-900ish After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Watching movies/listening to music, gaming, other (work i.e. microsoft office, etc.)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, keyboard, mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com (that is the only website I know of..any other recommendations?

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: Not really sure which parts to use, but AMD X4 955, Gigabyte mobo and HD 5770 is what I am sort of looking at right now....

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (once I learn more on this, yes)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (I figure this is important for gaming purposes (?) and I am not hardcore into gaming)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080,

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like to have a quiet pc that I won't have to mortgage my house for. I would also like to have a pleasant gaming experience but I don't need to have it to a point where a bullet will seem to really be shooting out at me..as long as I see movement, I am fine ;) 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 AMD 790FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM

The list I just made is probably not good :cry:  This is my first attempt at trying to pick parts from all the information I have read. So are there anything else I may need and/or any comparable parts I can switch for cheaper price? I don't really have a comprehensive knowledge of parts so any information on parts that can be changed to make the system cheaper without too much loss of performance (although I doubt that the list I made is really all that good haha) would be appreciated.

Thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply - Retail

Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe LightScribe Support - OEM
January 9, 2010 5:09:42 AM

I like the Corsair power supply better personally, but the Antec EarthWatts is very good and I can't say that I recommend one over the other.

I didn't see any memory in your list? Maybe I missed it and am retarded though.

I like the motherboard as well, if mATX for factor isn't a turn off for you then a good ASUS 785G motherboard would save you about $100.

I recommend purchasing windows 7 OEM from newegg if you plan to run windows.

I like the Samsung HDD better than Seagate but I'm guessing your going with both?

Also while I really like Samsung, I would swap the Seagate out with either a WD black or another Samsung.

I personally like the antec 1200 better than the 900, but the 900 is a good case.
January 9, 2010 5:24:07 AM

Ah, you're right...I didn't list any memory. Then again, I have no idea where to start when picking memory.

"I like the motherboard as well, if mATX for factor isn't a turn off for you then a good ASUS 785G motherboard would save you about $100." Being new to all of this, I did not really understand :cry:  From the guides, all I know is that both mATX and ATX can fit into an ATX case, but an ATX cannot fit into an mATX case...however, I really don't understand what the difference is.

As for the Seagate HDD, I decided to go with the Samsung and maybe purchase one more later.

How am I doing so far? :??: 

So would this be what you recommend?
Corsair Memory CMPSU-750TX + ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO

I was thinking about taking the power supply in the combo deal in place of the antec earthwatts
Related resources
January 9, 2010 5:29:38 AM

Your doing good... Let me throw a few things your way.

For memory I recommend this kit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As far as motherboards go... Generally ATX motherboards are geared more for "gaming" because of the size allowing for the parts to be physically further apart and thus less heat build up. Also ATX allows for less crap to be blocked if you install a massive video card.

mATX is fine if you aren't concerned with all that, the ASUS one I'm linking below is actually a nice design, if you go for a big video card later, the SATA ports are out of the way and won't be blocked by the video card.

And so the difference between mATX and ATX is literally size, hence why ATX cases fit both, and mATX cases fit only mATX motherboards, because the cases are actually smaller.

Also I haven't looked at prices of video cards, but maybe a 5850 would be better. Hopefully someone else chimes in too.

And I forgot one thing above, the Samsung F3 is the drive you should try to pick up, it's there newest line and perform quite well.
January 9, 2010 5:37:40 AM

Thanks boonality!

one last question. what would be the difference between ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO and the one you recommended other than this one being ATX? Would you still recommend yours over this? other than that, I hope I have my system pretty much set?
January 9, 2010 5:43:06 AM

Actually the motherboard you linked seems to be a slightly better model, looks like it has a couple of added features...

However I see that what you linked is a combo deal with a very nice corsair 750, granted that is WAY too much power however if the price is right you can't go wrong there as that is a very nice power supply. I say if it's the same price or cheaper than definately go for that combo.
January 9, 2010 5:45:33 AM

Hum I didn't even pay attention to the size... ya if ATX is preferable to you then definately grab this board over the mATX i linked above as they are basically they have the same features.
January 9, 2010 5:46:59 AM

Generally, a very good first attempt!

The F1 is old technology and slower to the new spinpoint F3. Out of stock at the moment, but should be back when you order (on the 12th; 500gb ones are in stock, FYI if you want another place to cut costs)

Well, since you're not a hardcore gamer, I should dropping to a 790x mobo, as opposed to the 790fx one you currently have listed. This should shave off an easy $45. 790fx runs crossfire at at dual x16, whereas a 790x limits it to dual x8. The performance drop is marginal and insignificant if you do decide to add another 5770 for crossfire down the line.

Antec 900 is indeed a nice case, but the cable management is far inferior to the HAF922.
Antec 900 w/ shipping: $120 + 650TX after MIR, free shipping: $90 = $210

HAF922 + ocz 700sxs: $110 w/ shipping after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Give or take a few extra dollars due to my calculations being simplistic, but that's a ~$100, for an equal and arguable superior case. The 900 lacks the cable management that a HAF922 has. The corsair PSU, however, is much more highly regarded than the OCZ psu, but for a budget PSU, it's a good alternative choice, ESPECIALLY in this combo.

These are some low voltage, tight timing sticks.

EDIT: Just saw that your optical drive is IDE, which is the large ribbon connection that runs into your motherboard. This cable type inhibits airflow and is simply not used much anymore. Look for a similar drive that has SATA.
January 9, 2010 5:56:13 AM

That 790x that vznoobie12 linked is a good board for the money, it lacks an onboard video chip but with a video card like the 5770 you won't have any issues, it comes down to price between the boards more than anything.

The case+psu combo is a good price, I can't say I like the way that cooler master case looks, asthetics are important to me though.

I just can't say I recommend the memory, it's slightly more expensive and doesn't follow the JEDEC memory standard for DDR3.
January 9, 2010 5:57:48 AM

vznoobie12 said:
EDIT: Just saw that your optical drive is IDE, which is the large ribbon connection that runs into your motherboard. This cable type inhibits airflow and is simply not used much anymore. Look for a similar drive that has SATA.

Wow I wasn't paying attention to that, definately swap your DVD burner to a SATA one.
January 9, 2010 6:58:21 AM

boonality said:

I just can't say I recommend the memory, it's slightly more expensive and doesn't follow the JEDEC memory standard for DDR3.

Being slightly more expensive aside, which is easily balanced with other savings, I don't think that going outside the JEDEC standard is detrimental in this case. If it were a pair of 1.8v sticks going in a p55 system, then that would be a different story. They require less voltages than the standard 1.5 recommended for DDR3 due to the energy and temperature saving technology.

Here's a review for one of the eco series sticks:
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16833/40/
January 9, 2010 7:39:41 AM

Thanks vznoobie12 and boonality.

Regarding the video card, I was looking through customer reviews and a person wrote this:

"XFX makes 2 version of this card, but they didn't tell anyone.
They are a scam. Couple people I know IN PERSON got bad models, we put them side by side. Boards are obviously different.
The good quality original that has a Vantage mark of 12000, and a cheap PCB model that marks around 10000. I tried them both on the SAME Pc. Hopefully you won't get sent the new one. There are comparison picks all over the net and a great thread about it on overclock.net.

The big pro here is: I didn't get the PCB version of this card. It comes in the same packaging and everything, but the boards look different and the new one is missing a couple production stickers. Refer to overclockers.net for details. They have comparison picks. The plastic cover is the same, but when you look at the back you see the ugly truth. It was hard for me to believe what I was seeing.
This PCB version also does not support Tri-crossfire, although the original versions of the card do."

What exactly is a tri-crossfire? is it 3 video cards running at once (as opposed to crossfire)? More importantly, will this have a significant impact taking into consideration that this system isn't solely for heavy gaming?

I'm making final decisions on what I want so I will be posting it up soon! :D 
January 9, 2010 9:06:26 AM

Ya the tri-crossfire being spoken of just 3 ATI cards in crossfire configuration.
January 9, 2010 11:57:21 AM

id say instead of buying 2 lesser cards for sli, get one really nice card like a nvidia geforce 290 , it will run as good as 2 lesser cards and should be a bit cheaper if you do some math... but you might get the builders sickness so make sure you get a dual vid card mobo incase your sweet new rig makes you go hardcore.... i know mine did
January 9, 2010 2:53:09 PM

vznoobie12 said:
Being slightly more expensive aside, which is easily balanced with other savings, I don't think that going outside the JEDEC standard is detrimental in this case. If it were a pair of 1.8v sticks going in a p55 system, then that would be a different story. They require less voltages than the standard 1.5 recommended for DDR3 due to the energy and temperature saving technology.

Here's a review for one of the eco series sticks:
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16833/40/

vznoobie12,

I was looking at the memory sticks you recommended and it says "Designed Specifically for Socket LGA 1156 Intel Core i5 & i7 CPUs" in specifications...does it matter?
January 9, 2010 5:00:49 PM
January 10, 2010 1:19:06 AM

It looks good, the only thing I'm leary of is the case. For that type of money you could get the HAF922, Antec 900, or even P183, all of which are tested, tried, and true.
January 10, 2010 2:12:14 PM
!