ReplayTV codec?

I am using DVArchive for the first time, and just downloaded the first show
from my 5080 to my PC. I tried playing it with Windows Media Player and
only got the audio. After reading the FAQ at dvarchive.org, I see that I
may need a specific codec to do this.

So, if I want to play the .mpg files from my RTV with WMP, do I have to
purchase a codec? are there any free ones out there? what is everyone else
using to do this?

thanks

TB
7 answers Last reply
More about replaytv codec

    T.B. wrote:
    > I am using DVArchive for the first time, and just downloaded the first show
    > from my 5080 to my PC. I tried playing it with Windows Media Player and
    > only got the audio. After reading the FAQ at dvarchive.org, I see that I
    > may need a specific codec to do this.
    >
    > So, if I want to play the .mpg files from my RTV with WMP, do I have to
    > purchase a codec? are there any free ones out there? what is everyone else
    > using to do this?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > TB

    If you have a mpeg-2 compatible program installed, WMP will use the
    codec. It is not "special". Most people have PowerDVD or WinDVD
    installed and either use them or WMP.

    How fast a machine do you need to play these files? P166 do it?

    I doubt it, it probably run slow on a P2. I would suggest a minimum P3 with
    a decent video card.

    "T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in

    > I am using DVArchive for the first time, and just downloaded the first
    > show from my 5080 to my PC. I tried playing it with Windows Media
    > Player and only got the audio. After reading the FAQ at
    > dvarchive.org, I see that I may need a specific codec to do this.
    >
    > So, if I want to play the .mpg files from my RTV with WMP, do I have
    > to purchase a codec? are there any free ones out there? what is
    > everyone else using to do this?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > TB

    Try Video Lan Client. It might work for you without adding a codec,
    though it takes a little more CPU cycles than other options.
    If you install a DVD playing application, like WinDVD or PowerDVD the
    codec will be on your system and then you can use WMP. Some folks have
    had luck with installing the demo versions and then using WMP to view
    them they might even work past the 30-day trial period (try it).

    There are also some low-cost available codecs, I forget the exact name
    but i think it starts with an "e" and cost abut $20

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:44:49 GMT, Steph
    <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:

    >"T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in
    >
    >> I am using DVArchive for the first time, and just downloaded the first
    >> show from my 5080 to my PC. I tried playing it with Windows Media
    >> Player and only got the audio. After reading the FAQ at
    >> dvarchive.org, I see that I may need a specific codec to do this.
    >>
    >> So, if I want to play the .mpg files from my RTV with WMP, do I have
    >> to purchase a codec? are there any free ones out there? what is
    >> everyone else using to do this?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> TB
    >>

    >Try Video Lan Client. It might work for you without adding a codec,
    >though it takes a little more CPU cycles than other options.
    >If you install a DVD playing application, like WinDVD or PowerDVD the
    >codec will be on your system and then you can use WMP. Some folks have
    >had luck with installing the demo versions and then using WMP to view
    >them they might even work past the 30-day trial period (try it).
    >
    >There are also some low-cost available codecs, I forget the exact name
    >but i think it starts with an "e" and cost abut $20

    Elecard? That's the one mentioned on the VideoLAN page.

    Note that it messes up your video after the free trial period, if not
    registered.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:44:49 GMT, Steph
    > <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:
    >
    >>"T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I am using DVArchive for the first time, and just downloaded the
    >>> first
    >>> show from my 5080 to my PC. I tried playing it with Windows Media
    >>> Player and only got the audio. After reading the FAQ at
    >>> dvarchive.org, I see that I may need a specific codec to do this.
    >>>
    >>> So, if I want to play the .mpg files from my RTV with WMP, do I
    >>> have
    >>> to purchase a codec? are there any free ones out there? what is
    >>> everyone else using to do this?
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>>
    >>> TB
    >>>

    >>Try Video Lan Client. It might work for you without adding a codec,
    >>though it takes a little more CPU cycles than other options.
    >>If you install a DVD playing application, like WinDVD or PowerDVD
    >>the
    >>codec will be on your system and then you can use WMP. Some folks
    >>have
    >>had luck with installing the demo versions and then using WMP to
    >>view
    >>them they might even work past the 30-day trial period (try it).
    >>
    >>There are also some low-cost available codecs, I forget the exact
    >>name
    >>but i think it starts with an "e" and cost abut $20
    >
    > Elecard? That's the one mentioned on the VideoLAN page.
    >
    > Note that it messes up your video after the free trial period, if
    > not
    > registered.
    >
    > --
    > 55 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >
    > Mark Lloyd
    > has a Replay 5xxx
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >
    > "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    > paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    > anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh

    I, along with another poster seem to recall a distant memory of a
    fellow with a similar sig in another newsgroup. I'm not saying who.
    My point is that magic9 and I look forward to your posts and replies.
    At least I do inasmuch as I always check your posts first and as
    gospel. At least in this group.

    BTW, Evelyn Waugh also said: "You can't always get what you want",
    ages before Mick made a lyric of it. I suppose you knew that.

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 20:58:47 -0500, "sparks" <steve@hotmail.net> wrote:

    > "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:44:49 GMT, Steph
    >> <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"T.B." <balfour@NOSPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in

    >>>Try Video Lan Client. It might work for you without adding a codec,
    >>>though it takes a little more CPU cycles than other options.
    >>>If you install a DVD playing application, like WinDVD or PowerDVD
    >>>the
    >>>codec will be on your system and then you can use WMP. Some folks
    >>>have
    >>>had luck with installing the demo versions and then using WMP to
    >>>view
    >>>them they might even work past the 30-day trial period (try it).
    >>>
    >>>There are also some low-cost available codecs, I forget the exact
    >>>name
    >>>but i think it starts with an "e" and cost abut $20
    >>
    >> Elecard? That's the one mentioned on the VideoLAN page.
    >>
    >> Note that it messes up your video after the free trial period, if
    >> not
    >> registered.
    >>
    >> --
    >> 55 days until the winter solstice celebration
    >>
    >> Mark Lloyd
    >> has a Replay 5xxx
    >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >>
    >> "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    >> paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    >> anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
    >>

    >I, along with another poster seem to recall a distant memory of a
    >fellow with a similar sig in another newsgroup. I'm not saying who.

    I get most of the quotes from sigs other people use and collect them
    on my web page (http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com/quotes.html). I
    guess someone got it from there.

    >My point is that magic9 and I look forward to your posts and replies.
    >At least I do inasmuch as I always check your posts first and as
    >gospel. At least in this group.
    >
    >BTW, Evelyn Waugh also said: "You can't always get what you want",
    >ages before Mick made a lyric of it. I suppose you knew that.

    Yes. Also, I seem to have fixed the scheduler problem that kept the
    dynamic sig from updating.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid