Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How much oc is needed?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 10, 2012 1:46:33 AM

how much of OC is needed of intel core2duo E7400 @2.80 ghz processor to increase its performance like the i3 processors?

More about : needed

a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2012 2:05:37 AM

Just glanced at the passmark scores for both chips.

There's more to performance than just benchmarks, but the i32100 is putting up almost twice the score of the E7400 so my guess is >5Ghz.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 10, 2012 2:14:23 AM

^^ DO NOT USE PASSMARK

You'd be looking at around 4ghz to hit performance that is close to an i3. If I remember correctly, the E8400/E8600's were able to match the i3 in some benchmarks at those speeds.
m
l
Related resources
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 10, 2012 2:49:05 AM

Since your at a stock speed of 2.8hgz you would just overclock as high as you can since if it didn't match the i then there wouldn't be anything you could do about it , so just do as much of a safe stable overclock as you can and see where you land.
m
l
August 10, 2012 3:58:32 AM

inzone said:
Since your at a stock speed of 2.8hgz you would just overclock as high as you can since if it didn't match the i then there wouldn't be anything you could do about it , so just do as much of a safe stable overclock as you can and see where you land.

so how much oc's is recommended for my 2.80 ghz cpu?
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 10, 2012 4:06:58 AM

Can you get your cpu to 4.2 ghz? If you can then you could see what the benchmark on it is and if it's close enough to the i3 , since there are a few i3 processors you didn't say which one you were trying to match.
m
l
August 10, 2012 4:40:37 AM

inzone said:
Can you get your cpu to 4.2 ghz? If you can then you could see what the benchmark on it is and if it's close enough to the i3 , since there are a few i3 processors you didn't say which one you were trying to match.

please tell me the steps of how to overclock my cpu. also tell me the life span of the cpu after overclocking it to 4.2 ghz. i bought my computer on 2009 ,december, my pc specs are here,

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 10, 2012 5:44:20 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overcl...

You can start by reading this article and it will give you the basics of what you need to overclock. Since you bught your computer in 2009 it is now three years old and while you can overclock the cpu you still have an older computer technology wise and at some point a new computer will be needed to keep up with programs and games.
I have looked at the spec's of your computer and the only thing that I can say is how much money do you have for a new computer?

You have DDR2 ram and 2gb of it.
You have intergrated graphics.
You have a 180w psu.
There is no upgrading to be done with this conputer because you would have to upgrade everything so even if you overclocked the cpu to a higher speed what do you hope to accomplish with this overclock?
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 10, 2012 9:17:35 PM

You can't overclock.
m
l
August 10, 2012 9:27:59 PM

You have a low end locked down factory box that was slow three years ago. You need a new build.
m
l
August 11, 2012 12:43:51 AM

inzone said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overcl...

You can start by reading this article and it will give you the basics of what you need to overclock. Since you bught your computer in 2009 it is now three years old and while you can overclock the cpu you still have an older computer technology wise and at some point a new computer will be needed to keep up with programs and games.
I have looked at the spec's of your computer and the only thing that I can say is how much money do you have for a new computer?

You have DDR2 ram and 2gb of it.
You have intergrated graphics.
You have a 180w psu.
There is no upgrading to be done with this conputer because you would have to upgrade everything so even if you overclocked the cpu to a higher speed what do you hope to accomplish with this overclock?

i am going to buy a radeon hd 6770 1gb ddr5 graphics card and 300 watt corsair psu . that's why i asked you'll to give me the steps of how to overclock the cpu.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 1:10:29 AM

YOU CAN NOT OVERCLOCK ON AN OEM MOTHERBOARD!
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 3:13:32 AM

BSNL said:
i am going to buy a radeon hd 6770 1gb ddr5 graphics card and 300 watt corsair psu . that's why i asked you'll to give me the steps of how to overclock the cpu.

If you read all of my post you'll notice that I said the whole computer needs to be upgraded because the computer is old and you can't just upgrade a few parts and think it's going to improve performance. Yes you can put in the video card and new psu but yo still have the DDR2 ram and the socket 775 cpu along with the motherboard it all connects to. So you add a part over here and over there is another part that's holding you back so the new part is a waste and will do you no good.
That's why I said you have to get a whole new computer. You can get a basic new computer , prebuilt for a resonable amount. How much do you have saved up that you could put towards a new computer?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
August 11, 2012 3:22:07 AM

inzone said:
If you read all of my post you'll notice that I said the whole computer needs to be upgraded because the computer is old and you can't just upgrade a few parts and think it's going to improve performance. Yes you can put in the video card and new psu but yo still have the DDR2 ram and the socket 775 cpu along with the motherboard it all connects to. So you add a part over here and over there is another part that's holding you back so the new part is a waste and will do you no good.
That's why I said you have to get a whole new computer. You can get a basic new computer , prebuilt for a resonable amount. How much do you have saved up that you could put towards a new computer?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

then so what ? what's the problem with ddr2 ram and socket 775 cpu?i am not on buying a new computer.
m
l
August 11, 2012 3:28:28 AM

Socket 775 has been replaced by socket 1156 which has been replaced by socket 1155. You need a system, your old one is fit for light internet duties, a server, or the bin.
m
l
August 11, 2012 3:33:31 AM

Smeg45 said:
Socket 775 has been replaced by socket 1156 which has been replaced by socket 1155. You need a system, your old one is fit for light internet duties, a server, or the bin.

please give me the brief description of these sockets, and please don't tell my cpu a garbage.see the proof,

http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/game_requireme...

select my cpu which is intel core2duo E7400 @2.80 ghz and see
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 3:53:09 AM

We're not telling you that your cpu is garbage , it's a decent cpu and can still be used for various tasks and games.
What we're trying to tell you is that the motherboard is garbage and if you want to overclock the E-7400 you need a different motherboard.
I was trying to tell you in a round about way that you need a new computer because there are too many components that would need to be upgraded and it would cost you the same as buying a new computer.
New motherboard , psu , video card and ram because you only have 2gb of ram.
This is all just a bandaid on on old system and won't last long because your making minimal upgrades and your wasting your money by dong that it's not worth it.
You said earlier you wanted to overclock the cpu that you had to get to the point of being equal with an i3 but that would only be speed wise and not tech wise because the i3 is the newer tech and has more basic instruction set in it to make it out perform and overclocked E-7400 by a wide margin.
m
l
August 11, 2012 3:58:52 AM

inzone said:
We're not telling you that your cpu is garbage , it's a decent cpu and can still be used for various tasks and games.
What we're trying to tell you is that the motherboard is garbage and if you want to overclock the E-7400 you need a different motherboard.
I was trying to tell you in a round about way that you need a new computer because there are too many components that would need to be upgraded and it would cost you the same as buying a new computer.
New motherboard , psu , video card and ram because you only have 2gb of ram.
This is all just a bandaid on on old system and won't last long because your making minimal upgrades and your wasting your money by dong that it's not worth it.
You said earlier you wanted to overclock the cpu that you had to get to the point of being equal with an i3 but that would only be speed wise and not tech wise because the i3 is the newer tech and has more basic instruction set in it to make it out perform and overclocked E-7400 by a wide margin.

tell me about those sockets please.
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 4:15:43 AM

The order of sockets is this , the 775 which you have is no longer produced and is considered old and not suppoered.
The next socket was the 1366 which was for the Naheilum and Gulftown cpus those sockets are on the verge of becoming not supported and while still in use is a very good platform and has a lot of benefits over even the newer ones. I still use a 1366 socket motherboard.
The 1156 was a breifly used socket and is not widely used.
The 1155 socket is the newer socket and i used for the Sandy Bridge cpu and the new Ivy Bridge cpu this is the current socket most widely used.
As you can see there have been a lot of sockets since the 775 and that makes it old in the tech world , the biggest problem is with the support of the older sockets since the newer ones get the most attention the older ones fall to the side and noone wants to bother with them.
The hard part is that the cpu still works and can be used in a functioning computer but bit by bit as you go along the system requirements will push that socket futher down the list untill it won't be usable for any game or application.
m
l
August 11, 2012 5:15:12 AM

inzone said:
The order of sockets is this , the 775 which you have is no longer produced and is considered old and not suppoered.
The next socket was the 1366 which was for the Naheilum and Gulftown cpus those sockets are on the verge of becoming not supported and while still in use is a very good platform and has a lot of benefits over even the newer ones. I still use a 1366 socket motherboard.
The 1156 was a breifly used socket and is not widely used.
The 1155 socket is the newer socket and i used for the Sandy Bridge cpu and the new Ivy Bridge cpu this is the current socket most widely used.
As you can see there have been a lot of sockets since the 775 and that makes it old in the tech world , the biggest problem is with the support of the older sockets since the newer ones get the most attention the older ones fall to the side and noone wants to bother with them.
The hard part is that the cpu still works and can be used in a functioning computer but bit by bit as you go along the system requirements will push that socket futher down the list untill it won't be usable for any game or application.

but please tell about the uses of sockets in computers.
m
l
August 11, 2012 6:52:29 AM

BSNL said:
please give me the brief description of these sockets, and please don't tell my cpu a garbage.see the proof,

http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/game_requireme...

select my cpu which is intel core2duo E7400 @2.80 ghz and see

It is garbage, it just cannot compete with modern tech, the architecture of new CPU's blow it away.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 7:28:44 AM

Wolfdale was good.....
m
l
August 11, 2012 7:49:23 AM

amuffin said:
What is the use of a computer? :) 

JK.

In order from oldest-youngest.

Socket 775

Socket 1156

Socket 1366

Socket 1155

Socket 2011

please tell me the use of sockets please,i am not kidding.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 7:51:08 AM

Click the links on the post^^
m
l
August 11, 2012 7:54:18 AM

amuffin said:
Click the links on the post^^

please tell me a short definition of uses of sockets in a computer.
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 3:10:13 PM

If you don't know the uses of sockets in a computer then you need to start from the beginning and read up on what a computer is in the first place. Seriously!
A socket holds the cpu and is a point of contact between the cpu and the motherboard , the number 775, 12399 ,1156 , 1155 are the number of pins that the socket has and the cpu also and these pins are what is used to transfer information to and from the cpu and motherboard.
As you can see the 775 socket has that many pins 775! The next one has 1399 pins and therefore has a lot more points of contac that would make those cpus and motherboards almost twice as good as the 775 pin socket. The amount of information that can be transfered back and forth between the cpu and motherboard is a lot more and the instruction sets are more also so you have more pins. Plus the motherboard is able to be designed to have more options for the cpu to interact with more periferals because there are more pins.
Quad cores and hexacores would now be abe to get the full use out of the archatecture because of the increased pin count.
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 3:26:50 PM

you would have to get new ram also and if the harddrive was ide he would have to get a sata drive also. Don't forget the 775 socket was right on the change over from ide to sata and most boards had both so there could be c chance that the hard drives and dvd drives are ide and those would have to be changed so that's why I said a new computer would be the easiest way out.
m
l
August 11, 2012 3:50:14 PM

inzone said:
you would have to get new ram also and if the harddrive was ide he would have to get a sata drive also. Don't forget the 775 socket was right on the change over from ide to sata and most boards had both so there could be c chance that the hard drives and dvd drives are ide and those would have to be changed so that's why I said a new computer would be the easiest way out.

will there be any problem if i upgrade my video card to radeon hd 7750 1gb ddr5. i will also upgarde my ram to 4gb ddr2.
and i have sata 500 gb hard drive of 7,200 RPM
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 3:59:16 PM

Now that sounds like a good idea and when you go to buy the ram you have to make sure that you get the same exact ram that you have or they won't work together. A good idea would be to get a whole new set of 4gb of ram and that way you won't have compatability problems.
I just last week took and old Pc that I had with a core 2 duo E-8400 and reformatted a new drive and a Gtx 8600 video card and gave it to my brother-in-law to use for internet and movies and it worked fine so the 7750 should work for you.
m
l
August 11, 2012 4:01:00 PM

inzone said:
Now that sounds like a good idea and when you go to buy the ram you have to make sure that you get the same exact ram that you have or they won't work together. A good idea would be to get a whole new set of 4gb of ram and that way you won't have compatability problems.
I just last week took and old Pc that I had with a core 2 duo E-8400 and reformatted a new drive and a Gtx 8600 video card and gave it to my brother-in-law to use for internet and movies and it worked fine so the 7750 should work for you.

ha but mine is E7400, which is far more weaker than E-8400.and also what wattage of psu is needed for raedon hd 7750 1gb ddr5?and also my motherboard is of ddr2 version. 7750 requires pcie 3.0x16 slot but i have only pcie x16 slot
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 4:15:39 PM

The 7750 does not require a Pci-e 3.0 it just will work in a Pci-e 3.0 and take advantage of the new slot , the 7750 is backwards compatable to Pci-e 2.0 so it will work on your motherboard.
For the 7750 video card you need a 400w power supply.
m
l
August 11, 2012 4:20:24 PM

inzone said:
The 7750 does not require a Pci-e 3.0 it just will work in a Pci-e 3.0 and take advantage of the new slot , the 7750 is backwards compatable to Pci-e 2.0 so it will work on your motherboard.
For the 7750 video card you need a 400w power supply.

are you sure 400w psu is enough. also please tell me about good psu companies.
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 4:40:54 PM

Living in India you will have problems getting some of the brands and they could be expensive. Here is a list of the top brands.
1. SeaSonic
2. Antec
3. XFX
4.Corsair
5. Silverstone

If you can get any of these then you will have a good power supply.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1...

This web page gives you the system requirements for the 7750 and the brand is Saphire and they are pretty much all the same unless you get a non reference board.
m
l
August 11, 2012 4:56:48 PM

inzone said:
Living in India you will have problems getting some of the brands and they could be expensive. Here is a list of the top brands.
1. SeaSonic
2. Antec
3. XFX
4.Corsair
5. Silverstone

If you can get any of these then you will have a good power supply.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1...

This web page gives you the system requirements for the 7750 and the brand is Saphire and they are pretty much all the same unless you get a non reference board.

nope friend. almost all the hardware parts are cheaper than other european countries as many people are not interested in computers and games. so demand is less,so price is also less.i am thinking of buying 400 watt corsair psu which is a good brand psu.
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 5:02:16 PM

The Corsair would be a good choice and also not too expensive when compared to the SeaSonic.
m
l
August 11, 2012 5:07:34 PM

inzone said:
The Corsair would be a good choice and also not too expensive when compared to the SeaSonic.

after installing 7750, is there any software to see that how much 7750 is clocked and how much is the performance of 7750 giving on my computer which generally gives on other computer's also.i mean that is there any software to determine that whether the gpu or cpu is bottlenecking each other's performance or not.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 6:03:15 PM

GPU-Z or MSi Afterburner.

No, there is no way. You will have to determine them yourself.

IF you want the sockets, JUST CLICK THE WIKI LINKS AND READ BRO!
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 6:18:24 PM

Most of the time you have to find out what you components are doing by just using your computer and judgeing by ho it's performing when playing a game or running some productivity software. If there are issues with any kind of bottleneck it wil become apparent by the performance of the game. Stuttering , freezing , artifacts and other abnomalities that shouldn't be there.
The good thing is that you are getting a lower end video card so it's not likely to be too much for the cpu or your system in general.
You already know that because you have an older computer any modern card will not give the top performance that say a new computer will. It's just not going to happen and you have to know that, but also by putting in the 7750 you will get an enormous performance increase over the intergrated graphics that you had.
MSI Afterburner will give you all the performance speeds that your video card is giving and tell you what it is operating at.
If you want to do a comparison of what your computer is doing compared to others you have to run Futuremark and there are two parts to it 3Dmark and Pcmark that you can use to benchmark your computer.
m
l
August 12, 2012 1:14:27 AM

inzone said:
Most of the time you have to find out what you components are doing by just using your computer and judgeing by ho it's performing when playing a game or running some productivity software. If there are issues with any kind of bottleneck it wil become apparent by the performance of the game. Stuttering , freezing , artifacts and other abnomalities that shouldn't be there.
The good thing is that you are getting a lower end video card so it's not likely to be too much for the cpu or your system in general.
You already know that because you have an older computer any modern card will not give the top performance that say a new computer will. It's just not going to happen and you have to know that, but also by putting in the 7750 you will get an enormous performance increase over the intergrated graphics that you had.
MSI Afterburner will give you all the performance speeds that your video card is giving and tell you what it is operating at.
If you want to do a comparison of what your computer is doing compared to others you have to run Futuremark and there are two parts to it 3Dmark and Pcmark that you can use to benchmark your computer.

and my last question,for how many years you think that the radeon hd 7750 1gb ddr5 will last on my computer if i buy that graphics card?
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 1:17:06 AM

1 TBH.

It's a very low end card.
m
l
August 12, 2012 1:21:34 AM

amuffin said:
1 TBH.

It's a very low end card.

what is 1TBH?
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 1:28:20 AM

1 To be honest.
m
l
August 12, 2012 1:33:37 AM

amuffin said:
1 To be honest.

and how much will nvidia gts 450 1gb ddr5 and raedon hd 6770 1gb ddr5 will last on my computer?
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 1:45:24 AM

You will have a better chance of the 7750 lasting longer than the GTS 450 and the 6670 since the 7750 is a newer tech video card.
m
l
August 12, 2012 1:50:28 AM

inzone said:
You will have a better chance of the 7750 lasting longer than the GTS 450 and the 6670 since the 7750 is a newer tech video card.

but ammufin told 1 year?
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 2:00:17 AM

Well you can believe him if you want but I don't see that card just lasting a year.
m
l
August 12, 2012 2:03:41 AM

inzone said:
Well you can believe him if you want but I don't see that card just lasting a year.

i already ordered sapphire radeon hd 7750 1gb ddr5. so how much do you think it will be clocked at?and how much do you think it will last?
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 2:04:13 AM

Which brand and model of 7750 video card are you going to buy?
m
l
August 12, 2012 2:06:28 AM

inzone said:
Which brand and model of 7750 video card are you going to buy?

told you, sapphire hd 7750 1gb ddr5.
m
l
!