Sign in with
Your question

Computer overheated damage

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2010 5:29:54 PM

I bought a custom made computer then moved. A bag moved up against the fan when I wasn't paying attention. By the time I noticed it, I have no idea how long it had been on. Now my computer will turn on, but my monitor (which is fine) says there's no signal. Is my video card burned out? Help
January 4, 2010 8:39:20 PM

I have the same problem with my XFX GTX 280. Sometimes it kicks in and sometimes I get no signal, only solution that I found was to turn off and then back on my monitor. :\ Tried to search for any better solution but no luck, hope this helps.
m
l
January 5, 2010 1:32:40 PM

I went to best buy and they tried a new graphics card. They say it's not the graphics card, and is most likely either a burned out slot on the motherboard or a burned out processor, essentially meaning that I have to buy a new computer. Another custom made computer like that one would run me over $2k, so I'm hoping someone comes up with a better solution.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
January 5, 2010 4:42:08 PM

Okay, try to reseated everything inside your case like ram, cpu, vga card...
And try to take out all of the ram sticks, turn on your computer, what would happen?
m
l
January 6, 2010 1:04:34 AM

I have actually did that and it havent worked still Vaerax you should try it, every system works differently. I've also tried to change the DMI cable with the connectors and still no help. The problem still occurs today.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 6, 2010 1:24:38 AM

Ra1der said:
I have the same problem with my XFX GTX 280. Sometimes it kicks in and sometimes I get no signal, only solution that I found was to turn off and then back on my monitor. :\ Tried to search for any better solution but no luck, hope this helps.

U must have a high enough power to run GTX 280, are u sure your PSU have enough?
m
l
January 6, 2010 5:00:10 PM

1000 watt OCZ
m
l
January 6, 2010 11:26:38 PM

wa1 said:
Okay, try to reseated everything inside your case like ram, cpu, vga card...
And try to take out all of the ram sticks, turn on your computer, what would happen?

Hmm I didn't think of that; I'll try it when I get back....
m
l
January 6, 2010 11:45:01 PM

Why dont you just replace the motherboard and maybe the processor. If you are uncomfortable putting it togethor, pay someone a few dollars to do it for you.

Id say its the motherboard. Go online or call the company you bought the pc from and ask/order a replacement.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 7, 2010 2:39:39 AM

Okay, if u guys already do every possible ways and that not make any changes then like gamerguy1 said, bring it to service center...
m
l
January 7, 2010 4:47:57 PM

I actually bought the computer from a guy that made the PC for himself, then hated Vista and decide to get a Mac. I've moved since then, and have no way of contacting him. Geek Squad claims it's the motherboard and/or processor, and they say that if I provide the new parts they'll put it together for $150. I did try reseating everything I was comfortable tinkering with, but it didn't help.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 8, 2010 2:57:24 AM

try to boot without the proc, what would happened?
and try to boot without the ram stick too, what would happened?
m
l
January 15, 2010 12:04:04 PM

I got impatient (I really needed some files) and had a guy fix it. He popped the cmos battery, waited 10 mins for the motherboard to drain, then popped it back in. Problem solved.

Silly me, thinking that the PROFESSIONAL COMPUTER REPAIRMEN at best buy would check for something as simple as a jacked up BIOS.

The real question is how it happened, since my computer was not overclocked and never has been. The only thing we can think of is that when I left for vacation, I forgot to unplug my computer. There was apparently a power surge - all of my clocks (and microwave clock, oven clock, etc.) were reset, and one wouldn't turn on. Maybe *somehow* that fried the BIOS. At any rate, as I recall there was someone else on this thread having a similar problem... have you tried popping the cmos battery? It is shaped like a watch battery only larger, and it's pretty easy to remove if you can get to it (mine was hidden, plus I assumed Best Buy trained their technicians - silly me). Remove it (make sure you make a note of which side goes up - you have to put it back in later!) and then wait for 10-15 minutes. This will cause all of the residual charge to drain from your motherboard. Keep in mind that this is going to reset your system clock, bios, etc. Then put it back in.

Good luck.
m
l
!