OS failed to boot - Corsair 115 GB SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hello all, I recently started having the following problem. I have a Corsair 115 GB SSD for my OS on an Asrock x58 extreme motherboard. Yesterday, while playing COD I got a BSOD. I didn’t read it thinking it was referencing my video driver how ever it was more severe.
I can’t get windows to load now. The boot codes displayed on the mobo stops at code 75.
Which is ” 75 – initialize Int-13 and prepare for IPL detection.” Quote from the mobo manual.
I am able to access the bios menu and I suspect it is either the mobo or the ssd that has the problem, but I'm leaning toward the ssd. The reason being I switched the SSD with OS and the Hard disk storage drive and the CD rom drive to all the ports and the ssd with the OS is the only one not detected anywhere in the bios boot screen. Not windows which does not boot up.
The bios menu detects the ram, cpu and mobo temps, CPU, etc correctly but no ssd. I would appreciate any advise you folks could offer me. Thanks all.

Solution
1 If you bought a new motherboard then you can connect everything to it but the SSD with the OS would have all of the old motherboard settings and drivers on it and even if you were to load the new drivers the OS wight have problems with both sets of drivers and there would be slower performance because the OS would be looking for the old MB. The best thing tio do would be to reload the OS.

2 No , the storage drive would still retain all of the data that is on it.

3 Since you cannot get the motherboard to see the SSD and you have tried everything then doing that is certianly an option.

4 Not to drive you into debt ar anything but an alternative solution would be to buy a new motherboard and a new SSD , maybe a 90gb and load the OS on...
First thing to do is to shut down the computer and unplug the power supply , wait a few minuites and then reconnect and power up with going into the bios and checking the boot menu to make sure the Corsair is listed first. I f it is not there then check the boot disk priority. Did you enable ahci when you installed the SSD.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Hi inzone and thanks for your reply.
I have done all that. i disconnected the PSU, switched all the drives to different ports and reset the CMOS on the motherboard. Still the problem persists. As I mentioned the motherboard detects all the vital signs correctly as well as the HD storage drive and the CD Rom but not the SSD that has the OS on it. I built the computer in June of 2010 and added the SSD in May of this year. I havent had any problem till now.
Tomorrow I will disassemble everything and reset it. I've read a number of places that it could be the mobo, ssd or PSU. Determining which is the problem. I don't have another computer to switch parts out with so I'm at a loose in how to determine the cause. Any other ideas are more than welcome.

Thanks again

Is the SSD a sata3 drive and did you have it pluged into the sata3 port ? When you said you switched it around did you then plug it into a sata2 port? When you said you added the SSD in May of this year have you upgraded the firmware on the SSD. Can you tell me the exact model and capacity of the SSD as you bought it. Did you also try unpluging the power and data cables from the aSSD itself or making sure that they are seated all the way in. Just taking shots here to see if I can hit something.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Hi inzone, The SSD is a Corsair 2.5" SSD. Model # CSSD-F115GB2-BRKT-A. It is a SATA 2 drive plugged into a SATA 2 Port. Remember, I have an Asrock x 58 extreme Mobo which is older than SATA 3 hence no SATA 3 anywhere.
I did update the firmware when I installed it and verified it installed correctly in devise manager/drivers. As I mentioned earlier everything has worked fine for the last 7 months.
Additionally, I switched both the data and power cables with the HD storage drive as well as the CD ROM drive and connected each to different SATA 2 ports. In each case the HD storage and CD Rom drive was detected in the boot menu of the bios menu but not the SSD OS drive.
I'm wondering if it’s the motherboard that’s the problem. I've read a number of posts in the asrock forums that others have had this problem with the board as well. I am maybe incorrectly assuming it’s the drive. Since the motherboard detects the HD storage and CD ROM regardless of which port I connect to I think I can surmise that the individual ports, power and data cables are OK. The mobo cannot detect the OS but how can I be sure.
A few additional questions if you don't mind.

1. If I were to purchase a new motherboard would I have to reinstall the OS on the SSD or can I just reconnect it and the HD storage disk.
2. If I were to purchase a new SSD will I lose all the data on the storage drive?
3. If both the above questions are true than perhaps I should try installing the OS on the HD storage drive now to see if the motherboard will then detect the OS?

1 If you bought a new motherboard then you can connect everything to it but the SSD with the OS would have all of the old motherboard settings and drivers on it and even if you were to load the new drivers the OS wight have problems with both sets of drivers and there would be slower performance because the OS would be looking for the old MB. The best thing tio do would be to reload the OS.

2 No , the storage drive would still retain all of the data that is on it.

3 Since you cannot get the motherboard to see the SSD and you have tried everything then doing that is certianly an option.

4 Not to drive you into debt ar anything but an alternative solution would be to buy a new motherboard and a new SSD , maybe a 90gb and load the OS on to the new SSD and then when you connect everything up including the old SSD you could see if the old SSD can be seen in the OS or not.
Does the SSD that you have still have any kind of warrenty left , I think they give at least a one year warrenty so you could try that option.

Solution

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

I did consider option #4 as you suggested, however I'm not a millionaire so I have requested and already received an RMA request from Corsair. So I will return and replace the SSD, then re-install the OS. I suspect that this is a common problem with the drive since my RMA was approved so quickly. In any case, once I install the new drive and " if " the motherboard detects it we will know it was the SSD problem. If it does not detect the new SSD I will have to purchase a new motherboard which would have been the case anyway, but I'll have a newer hard drive for my trouble.

Thanks again for all your advise. I especially like that you answer each question and not address one issue and forget the rest like most people do. This was my first build so I'm learning as I go. It was a pleasure working with you and I hope to keep this line of communication open because i have more questions if you don't mind.
For now have a great New Year, I wish I could buy you a drink. i will let you know how things turn out

I appreciate your comments and if I was able to help in any way I was happy to do so , I have aquired a lot of experience over the years building computers and learned a lot of things the hard way (trial and error) so this forum is a way of sharing that experience so people like you don't have to do things alone with no help. I wish you a Happy New Year and good luck with your new SSD , I hope that it solves your problem.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

HI Inzone, I RMA’ed a Corsair 2.5" SSD, CSSD-F115GB2-BRKT-A. It’s being replaced with the Corsair Force SATA3 SSD. I don’t know yet if it’s the GT or not.
My Asrock x 58 extreme Mobo has the original bios.
Please note: the HD storage drive (Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB) was installed, initialized and partitioned from the Corsair 115 SATA 2 drive installation.
The C: users/directory/documents/music and video folders were redirected to the HDD on the same installation. In addition to system stability, I need to detect my HD storage drive. Will the older motherboards bios or the newer SSD’s firmware cause conflict

I have a few questions as to the best scenario to proceed with.
1. Clean install windows then add the HDD and hope it detects it and backup.
2. First update the Asrock x58 extreme’s motherboard bios, clean install windows, and update SSD firmware if necessary than attach the HDD.

I don’t mean to be redundant but I just wanted to clearly state the facts and my concerns.

As always, Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.