Overheating e8400 3.6Ghz need help

Asura23

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Hello,
Like i don't get it. My temp core Idle when i don't overclock is 48C. But when i run OCCT at 100% loaded after overclock, it says that my temp goes at 92c and the test is stopped.

I read everywhere that overclocking the E8400 3.0ghz to 3.6 is super easy. This is the change that i do;

Set your CPU FSB Frequency to 400mhz
Now set your PCI Xpress Frequency to 100mhz

And i just cleaned my pc 2 days ago. I saved 10C Idle( that's a lot)

So what should i do? Because my pc run fine after i overclock to 3.6. Should i trust the test, change other setting or *** it the E8400 has fucked temp?

Solution
G

woah hold on there big fella! it is a good idea to read/study a few guides before attempting to overclock a cpu.

without knowing your motherboard, go into the BIOS (where you adjusted the FSB) and look for cpu voltage. if it is on auto take it off and lower it a bump or two. then boot into windows and run prime95 for 20 minutes. if you don't fail reboot back into the bios and lower another bump. btw, take off any overclock for...

Asura23

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

But i read everywhere that even with the stock cooler, it shouldn't be hard to overclock.

G

heat is bad, mmm k?

you can try lowering the Vcore (cpu volts) to get the heat down a little (really you ought to of found the minimal Vcore needed to run at stock speed before overclocking)

you know what i am talking about or is this greek to you?

Asura23

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

Does it work with every motherboard? ( i know dat question xD )

heat is bad, mmm k?

you can try lowering the Vcore (cpu volts) to get the heat down a little (really you ought to of found the minimal Vcore needed to run at stock speed before overclocking)

you know what i am talking about or is this greek to you?

Too geek :p. I'm a noob with OC.

G

woah hold on there big fella! it is a good idea to read/study a few guides before attempting to overclock a cpu.

without knowing your motherboard, go into the BIOS (where you adjusted the FSB) and look for cpu voltage. if it is on auto take it off and lower it a bump or two. then boot into windows and run prime95 for 20 minutes. if you don't fail reboot back into the bios and lower another bump. btw, take off any overclock for now and run at stock speed.

wash, rinse and repeat until you lower the Vcore to the point you fail prime95 or do not boot. (if you do not boot make sure you know how to reset the bios to default so you can post again). after failing prime or not posting/booting go back into the bios and bump the Vcore up one notch; that is the lowest voltage your cpu needs at stock.

now i have the suspicion that you just went into your bios and jacked up the FSB to 400 thinking that since everyone does it that its ok; well not really. its a bit of an art to overclock and yet keep the voltages down so you can prolong the life of the cpu as much as possible.

raise the FSB a little then test with prime95. if you pass go ahead and bump the FSB a little more ( twenty megahertz 20Mgz) you will fail prime95 or not post. thats ok, just bump the voltage up one increment. oh yeah i also forgot to mention to unlink you RAM while doing this. so unlink your RAM until you get to 400 FSB at the lowest Vcore possible for stability.

after linking the RAM back and you are sitting with 400 FSB woith the lowest Vcore, test with prime95 for atleast 2 hours to make sure you are good. then fini!

Solution
G

yes 0.10

and cpu volts and Vcore are the same thing. now lowering the volts will get you a little lower in temps, maybe 3-5c as a guess. a better cooler than that stock one will go much farther. i used a heatsink from a Q6600 (much bigger than for a core2duo) and got 3.9 without breaking a sweat (under 72c on 100% load) on a E8500 last year.

Asura23

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

Alright thx man, i'm gonna do this tomorrow, because now i'm tired xD.