Sign in with
Your question
Solved

System is very slow. New HDD or Memory? New OS didn't help

Last response: in Memory
August 4, 2010 12:05:43 PM

Hello, I noticed that my system was running very slow - so I ran a 3DMark which confirmed my suspicion. Loading maps in SC2 was very erratic - sometimes the same map took 5 seconds to load, other times 5 minutes (it was the ONLY program running at all times). I am now reinstalling my OS, but to my dismay I have just noticed that windows has been more than 3 hours to install the first 500mb of updates. Internet Explorer 8 took 20 minutes to install alone?! My CPU is taxed almost 100% during this procedure - so I think it is either that or my HDD - or perhaps my memory?

Also the installation of the OS on the clean HDD seemed to "hang" at the weirdest points - like when it asked asked what HDD I would like to install on (I only have one) I couldn't choose it for over 60 seconds because my system was busy - but it wasn't doing anything other than waiting for my feedback. In any case it didn't hang like this when I first installed the OS over a year ago.

I have posted this issue in the Storage forum and the consensus there is that it is my HDD that is faulty. However before I spring for a new HDD I was wondering if the memory could be the cause of my problem?

Specs

Gigabyte x48 MB
Intel E8500 CPU
4gb 1066 memory
Samsung SpinPoint F1 640GB HDD
ATi 4870 gfx

Sorry for asking the same question twice - I just want to be sure :) 

More about : system slow hdd memory

a b } Memory
August 4, 2010 4:22:49 PM

Based on your system, I would have to agree with the folks from the Storage forum that your HDD is you bottleneck. You are running good memory speeds for the LGA 775 socket. Without knowing your timings, you might be able to get a slight improvement by getting lower CAS memory but won't effect the system as much as a new hard drive or SSD.
m
l
August 4, 2010 8:15:22 PM

tecmo34 said:
Based on your system, I would have to agree with the folks from the Storage forum that your HDD is you bottleneck. You are running good memory speeds for the LGA 775 socket. Without knowing your timings, you might be able to get a slight improvement by getting lower CAS memory but won't effect the system as much as a new hard drive or SSD.

Thanks for the reply :)  My system used to run a lot faster, but recently it has become very slow. First I thought it was my OS that needed a reinstall - but that didn't help. I have just tried a brand new HDD but that didn't help either. I have tried installing SC2 and it runs below 10 fps using the recommended settings - I tried lowering everything to "low" but that didn't help more than a few fps. Installing stuff on my PC takes an obscene amount of time - no change with the new HDD.

I ran a windows memory check - but my ram checks out fine.

On a further note my PC simply turn off at radom - a few times during startup as well - I have a 650W power supply - but maybe it is faulty?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
August 4, 2010 8:32:23 PM

How are your CPU temps? Is it throttling due to heat?
Is your PSU 650W (e.g. Antec, Corsair, other solid brand), or is it "650W" (e.g. a Chokemax with a liar-label)?
m
l
August 4, 2010 8:53:23 PM

Faulty power, or overheating????

Also it wouldnt hurt to run memtest 86 for 10 hours or better.
m
l
August 4, 2010 9:18:31 PM

@jtt283 my PSU is Corsair - temps are ok -I'll keep an eye on them

@daship where do I get memtest 86 ?

Thanks for answering :) 
m
l
August 5, 2010 8:28:18 AM

Onus said:
How are your CPU temps? Is it throttling due to heat?
Is your PSU 650W (e.g. Antec, Corsair, other solid brand), or is it "650W" (e.g. a Chokemax with a liar-label)?

Seems I was a bit too quick to look at the CPU temp. I read the system temp as cpu temp - so when I thought my CPU was 47C - it was in fact 90C! - when booting!

Perhaps this could be the cause of my crappy performance?

@tecmo43 - thanks for the link :) 
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
August 5, 2010 9:58:14 AM

Yes, that's way too hot. Remove your HSF, clean off the old paste or grease, reapply a new layer (very thin) and remount the HSF.
a b } Memory
August 5, 2010 9:59:34 AM

90 deg? That's too much! Use a fresh TIM. Or get an aftermarket cooler. A good one!
m
l
August 5, 2010 11:02:04 AM

Thanks I'll try remounting the heat-sink and give it some new, good paste :) 
m
l
August 5, 2010 4:44:48 PM

Your mobo and hard drive are what hampers your total system speed. Replace the Hard Drive with a 10,000 or 15,000 rpm drive (of SDD), and replace the mobo with the highest Mhz rating (2000Mhz).
m
l
a b } Memory
August 6, 2010 7:08:44 AM

ahthurungnone said:
Replace the Hard Drive with a 10,000 or 15,000 rpm drive (of SDD)

SSD's don't have moving parts, so i think no RPM rating for them!
m
l
August 13, 2010 8:23:58 AM

Best answer selected by mortesv.
m
l
!