Palit GTX 550TI 1GB DDR5 192bit overclocking via Thundermaster

repzaj1234

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Hello, I just want to ask how much mHz do I add to the core and memory? Also what temperatures are stable for gaming? Default is 900 mHz for the core and 2052 mHz for the memory. GPU temps while gaming is at 50-60 degrees, when idle is at 36-40. Clock speed is at 30%. I'm using the Palit software "Thundermaster" to monitor these, and it gives a very limited amount of info. Should I use Afterburner instead? Will very much appreciate the help.

You can't simply answer your question with xxmhz increase on this or that. Overclocking is different for every gpu/cpu. You will have to get to the numbers yourself, stress testing along the way to ensure stability. Definatel read up on overclocking and the fundamentals of it. There is lots of info on the net. Learn as much as you can, so you don't ended up frying parts of your computer. There are a lot of variables to consider.

I managed to find this, http://www.overclockcpu.net/how-to-overclock-your-geforce-gtx-550-ti/ , it may be some help. Don't have the card myself, so can't advise.

Also, list your system in future posts. It will help others give more accurate information regarding questions you may have.

repzaj1234

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I did some research on overclocking and the GTX 550 TI. OCing results seem to vary by brand, others have overclocked to a stable 1000mHz with their EVGA card then another result for another brand of card. The problem is I can't seem to find a review for my Palit GTX 550TI, all I found was for the Palit GTX 550TI 'Sonic' edition. I've read the safest way to OC is to increment the core clock by 10's, do some benchmarking and stability results until you reach your threshold. I've also read to not alter the memory clock because it doesn't seem to do much and causes instability.

Btw here are my system specs, sorry for not posting them earlier.

Processor -Intel Core i5 3450
Mobo -MSI H61M-P31 (G3)
8GB DDR3 RAM
GPU - Geforce GTX 550TI (Palit)
PSU -500W Cougar ST

Also, I want you guys to know I have no cooling system. I've read to tone down the OCing if you have no cooling system. Although I have two fans in my AeroCool casing and I always play in an airconditioned room. (If thats a factor) Sorry I'm new at this and I'm just researching the hell of out this first before I start OCing. It would really help for someone who has this same card to give me their findings.

repzaj1234

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

I started OC'ing the core clock by a +15 mHz increment (The default was 900 mHz) so I was at 915mHz then I ran 3D Mark. The results were a + 70 than the default clocks but I noticed one thing. When I was benchmarking with 3D mark the colors were kind of inverted or some sort, the colors were way off their original in the first benchmark test but when the second test was done the colors were OK and were OK for the rest of the benchmark tests. I even ran 3D Mark twice and it never happened again. Then I started testing with my games, I played Skyrim. The same issue happened again, the colors were way off their original presets, there weren't any pixelations or artifacts of some sort. I decided the restart the game and the colors were OK again. I even played for 30 minutes or so and it was stable. What was that sudden change of colors? Do I still continue? I've returned to the defaults clocks for the meantime just to make sure.

repzaj1234

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
One last question, so I was OC'ing and I reached 950 mHz but there's one thing. One time my Core clock was stuck at 33 mHz. That's freaking low. Even when I was playing it was still at 33mHz (used afterburner to record) which resulted in a VERY laggy game. I restarted the PC and it was ok again. Was that my PC telling me to stop OCing lol

Thanks for the replies.

G

oh?
captureyx.jpg

completely stable :p

1066 will get a little flonky . . :(