Overclocking not changing cpu

Last response: in Overclocking
August 10, 2012 9:11:28 AM

Hi currently running:

H60 corsair liqid cooling
P35 ds3r mobo
q660 quad core 2.4ghz
HD 7850 Radeon OC gigabyte

Issues is I just installed the new cpu cooling today, been having some issues with its temps being higher than expected.

Since then I tried adjusting the ram timings to no avail, so had to reset CMOS
Before I reset CMOS and currently the issue, is it seems the cpu isnt registering the increase in FSB, iv been ocing it to around 333mhz on a 9x timing, but now any adjustment up does not register in the bios, i save it at say 280, when it resets the process loads as still at 2.4ghz when it should be 2.6. in dxdiag it sees it as 2.4ghz. Im not sure were to go from here as something seems to be overriding the bios?!? is it broken?

thanks
hackattack
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2012 6:50:21 PM

What is the Intel version of Cool'n'quiet?

If you can figure what that is, turn it off in the BIOS.
a c 214 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 10, 2012 7:50:02 PM

By resetting the c-mos you have reset the bios to factory default , so any changes that you had made would be reversed. There are other settings beside the fsb that have an effect on overclocking. Do you have an option to set the cpu functions to manual? On an Asus board it would be called cpu level up or AI overclock tunner , there is also memory level up.
With Gigabyte it's cpu clock ratio or base clock control(FSB CONTROL)
Related resources
August 11, 2012 1:35:35 AM

Yes I reset the H60 cooling at 90 degrees, issue was it was hitting the capactors and only getting about 40% contact. after about 8 reseats finally got it working as intended. Reset the CMOS again, now its all fine.

Currently OC'ing to 3.4ghz running about +0.3v for the ram (DDR2 4x1gb kingston/corsair pc5400/667)
changed the timings from 5-5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-4-12 and currently running pretty stable, allthough have only run prime 95 for about 20minutes I have had one random reset whilst installing software.
Iv increased ths FSB V by +.01 CPU to 1.3v and GFX to 0.2.

Any ideas on where to go from here? I would like to lower my voltages but im not sure how much i need for stability, is there a calcultion? eg im running my processor from 2.4 to 3.4 so a 1ghz increase, do i need 2/5ths more power etc? is there a formula I can use to determind power needed.

also I tried increasing to FSB 400 but feezing in startup or close after what as far as i got.

I thinking that im getting limited by my 667 ram, also 2 sticks are quite a few years and two I bought yesterday, so im afraid that the old ram will be more likley to not handle the ocing needed to get to 3.6ghz at 9x400fsb and ram on a 2.0 1:1 ratio.

Any ideas of how to get more stability and possible increase in ghz? Or should i be focusing on stability through getting a prime 95 12hour run first?

under full load temps are reading around 50 degrees so i think I have a bit more room to push an extra .1 ghz or .2. But im afraid Im going to be in the relm of distroying my ram from too much ocing, and all previous attempts have not been stable for more than 1 or 2 mins at 3.6 ghz. How can I get there?

I am running the P35-DS3R Mobo, Q6600, 4x1gb ddr2 667 (4-4-4-4-12)

August 11, 2012 1:37:44 AM

on a 600w thermaltake PSU, HD 7850 Radeon gigabyte OC
August 11, 2012 1:40:34 AM

also I was wondering is there any reason to upgrade my bios if its functioning correctly? will this improve the OCing at all?
a c 214 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 4:47:39 AM

First with the bios , you don't upgrade the bios unless you are having problems or the bios update contains files needed for your motherboard to be compatable with a hardware part.
Overclocking is a slow tedious process and you need a lot of patience and spare time to do it. Because it requires constant changes in the bios and testing in Windows. There are no set calculations because every cpu chip is different and while you may overclock to 4.6ghz your neighbor with the same model may only get to 4.5ghz. So it's trial and error and patience.
The process goes something like this you increase the cpu speed either by fsb or unlocked multiplier and then you test for stability in Windows , then you increase again and test in Windows and you continue this untill Windows becomes unstable and to get it stable you have to add voltage in the bios then once you add voltage you test in Windows and continue the process over and over untill you have reached your target overclock or the cpu says stop.
These increases in voltage and cpu speed are done in the smallest increments and that's why it's tedious and requires a lot of time and patience.
!