Sign in with
Your question

General Build Update Question?

Last response: in Systems
January 9, 2010 12:17:29 PM

I'm loking to upgrade my current build, I'll give you the specs...

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
4GB - DDR3 - 1333
512MB PCI-E Graphics Card
2 - SATA Drives

I can't remember my motherboard as I'm not at my computer right now.

One: I'm looking to get a new motherboard that can run at 1333MHz as the current one only allows me to use 1066MHz - Any suggestions?

Two: Is it possible to have a MB that allows for more than 4 RAM slots that will be even used in conjunction with this type of CPU I have or is it only the Intel I models that do this kinda threading?

Three: I'm very much looking to get a quieter PSU as mine is just terribly loud, any suggestions?

Summary - I'm happy with the speed of my PC but I'm only looking to spend a little amount of money to get a little bit of kick into my machine for the new year.
January 9, 2010 5:49:19 PM

The reality is that you'll see no improvement at all from running ddr2 1333.

You can find p45 mobos that will support up to 16gb of memory, but again unless you're rendering or using your pc as a server 4gb is more than enough for 95pct of things.

If you really want to give your machine a kick, look into an SSD as a system disk. Intel recently released a 40gb version of their popular X25 series. It'll set you back 130 bucks, but there is no other upgrade path that will change the way you look at your pc the way a ssd will.
January 10, 2010 8:40:46 AM

I'm not at my machine and can't remember my motherboard model right now but I'm thinking it's the MB that's only allowing me to run at 1066. I'll post back and let you know.

Thanks for the advice so far...
Related resources
January 10, 2010 12:00:17 PM

I'm trying to figure out what improvements you are hoping to see by increasing the RAM speed?

What is your current config lacking? Does it not do something you want it to do?

January 10, 2010 12:18:11 PM

I have 4GB of DDR3 which could run at 1333Mhz and I know my E8400 can handle 1333 but I'm sure my board doesn't allow for it so I'm looking to fix that but while fixing it I thought it would be nice to do more to get the best out of what I've got. That's why I'm asking about more RAM.

I'm running PS CS4 alot and Dreamweaver.
January 10, 2010 12:21:24 PM

...also in time I'll be looking to get an Intel i5 or i7 so I'm looking to future proof with a better MB and RAM.
January 10, 2010 4:17:00 PM

To be quite honest, most people run their ram at ddr 800, regardless of it's maximum clock. It allowed tighter timings and easier overclocks as it was better balanced for the 400mhz fsb of the p45.

You're barking up the wrong tree. Memory speed plays virtually no role in performance. If anything CAS timings and latency have a larger effect on how "snappy" a rig runs.

Unless you're trying to improve a benchmark, or running competitions where fractions of a percent count, then I'd forget about the memory.
January 11, 2010 4:26:08 PM

Agreed...unless you have the E8400 clocked up to 3.6Ghz and above, 800 would be a 1:1 ratio. If you go above that, faster RAM may help you out, but as state by a4mula - it seems to play a bigger part in synthetics, etc
!