January 4, 2010 7:48:10 PM

Hi,

I just finished building my system about a month ago. Here are the specs :

Processor : Intel Core i5 750
Motherboard : Asus Maximus III Formula
RAM : Corsair Dominator GT 1600 mhz 7-7-7-20 2x2GB
Power Supply : Corsair Professional 850W
Graphics card : EVGA GeForce GTX 275 896 MB

After building this up, I have been able to use it for two hours, until I got the first Blue Screen of Death. After reboot, everything was normal again for about 15 minutes and then another blue screen. It said nVidia driver problem. I uninstalled the drivers and tried re-installing it : blue screen after intallation completion... so the problem was really from the card's driver. tried to install it again and same thing. I was not able to login to windows anymore : I had a blank screen after windows loading symbol, which was full of red lines. In BIOS : red and green lines everywhere on the screen and black dots. Screen is good, working perfectly with Xbox 360 via HDMI. So I RMA'd this card and got a replacement one.

Installed the new card. I was very happy everything went well, played Borderlands with maxed out settings for about two hours until the game crashed and blue screen and bla bla bla. Same problem as the other card.

Is it possible that EVGA sent me two defective card ? Or is there a compatibility problem with my system ? Could the power supply or the motherboard be burning my graphics card ? I don't think so because my old Zotac 8600 GT is working perfectly since 3 weeks.

Please help.

More about : question

a c 216 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 8:20:40 PM

It sounds like both cards overheated.

What type of environment did you run them in? What kind of case and air flow is there?
m
l
January 4, 2010 8:24:46 PM

My case is a NZXT Tempest with two 120 mm fans in the front pulling air in, two 120 mm fans pulling air out, and the usual side and rear fans. Airflow is very good in the case, and processor is averaging 30 Celsius based on Core Temp, in a 23 Celsius room.
m
l
Related resources
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 8:40:29 PM

Is there any other cards directly below the video card that would obstruct the fan or air getting into the fan? The case sound good.
m
l
January 4, 2010 8:57:32 PM

No, there are not any card under it that blocks the fan, but cables are a bit of a mess. Could this be enough for the card to overheat ? I wanted to wait and be sure everything was ok before starting cable management.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 9:02:12 PM

Might be a problem with a batch of GTX 275's, with the 55nm process being so cutting-edge & all.
m
l
a c 1362 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 9:02:38 PM

Just to have everything covered have you checked your ram with memtest?
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 9:13:57 PM

MarcoF9603 said:
No, there are not any card under it that blocks the fan, but cables are a bit of a mess. Could this be enough for the card to overheat ? I wanted to wait and be sure everything was ok before starting cable management.

Unless a free cable is preventing the fan from moving, it's not likely the cause.
m
l
January 4, 2010 9:36:35 PM

rolli59 said:
Just to have everything covered have you checked your ram with memtest?

No errors on memtest86+ Version 4.0
m
l
January 4, 2010 9:39:19 PM

What is the temp of the video card? The fan might not be increasing its RPM with a heavy load/ temp increase... I usually jack up my video card fan manually to around 60% or so when I'm gaming...
m
l
a c 1362 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 9:40:28 PM

Amazing though that EVGA would send you a second broken card! I would take that up with their customer support and request a tested card.
m
l
a c 1362 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 9:45:34 PM

doormatderek said:
What is the temp of the video card? The fan might not be increasing its RPM with a heavy load/ temp increase... I usually jack up my video card fan manually to around 60% or so when I'm gaming...

All the GPU's I have had I have never had to change factory fan settings and I have never had any issues with GPU's over heating. All my problems with computer stability has been memory related, like to tight timings or voltage incorrectly assigned.
m
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 9:51:32 PM

Seems like another bad card, but just to be certain, reinstall the latest drivers.
Procedure to clean install a new driver:

1) Download driversweeper to your desktop, or wherever you can find it easily.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html

2) Download your new driver to the same place.
3) Add/remove programs, uninstall any Nvidia or ATI vga drivers and programs.
4) Boot into safe mode. Press F8 repeatedly while booting to enter safe mode. Your display resolution may be minimal.
5) Run driversweeper. Check the selection boxes for the removal of all nvidia vga drivers and ati drivers.
6) Rerun driversweeper. All such components should be gone.
7) Install the new driver from the desktop or saved location.
m
l
January 4, 2010 9:56:27 PM

Reinstalling with the latest drivers has been done at least 8 times, and each time I used driver sweeper to remove the older drivers.... And I don't know how it would be possible for me to check the temperatures, since I can't even boot to windows.
m
l
a c 225 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 9:59:58 PM

I echo the overheating assumption ....did you monitor the GPU temps with 2nd card ?
m
l
January 4, 2010 10:01:07 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
I echo the overheating assumption ....did you monitor the GPU temps with 2nd card ?

No, but I sure will do it with the 3rd one.
m
l
January 4, 2010 10:14:44 PM

Have you tried using a different PCI-e slot? Your slot may be bad and your OS is interpreting it as a bad card.
m
l
January 5, 2010 1:13:10 AM

Frag Mortuus said:
Have you tried using a different PCI-e slot? Your slot may be bad and your OS is interpreting it as a bad card.

If the slot was bad, no card would work fine in it. My card did work well for a time, and then died. My old 8600GT is working well since 3 weeks in the exact same slot. That is not the problem.
m
l
!