UPGRADING C2D TO I7

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolbuddy_jass

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
I HAVE AN ALIENWARE M17N LAPTOP WITH C2D PROCESSOR AND 4GB DDR3 RAM AND ALIENWARE MOTHERBOARD WITH INTEL CHIPSET.CAN I UPGRADE MY LAPTOP TO CORE I7 . I AM REALLY DESPERATE. IF YES THEN WHAT NEW THINGS DO I HAVE TO PURACHASE IN ORDER FOR IT TO WORK?? SORRY IF THE QUESTION SEEMS TOO SILLY.

Solution
Not going to happen, I'm afraid. The C2D and i7's require different motherboard slots and chipsets, so you cannot simply swap one CPU for another. Laptop motherboards are not interchangable (due to each laptop being a different size, shape, and port layout) so the chances of finding one that will take an i7 AND fit into your laptop case AND allow every connector to line up is virtually nil.

The only hope you would have is if Alienware produced your model laptop in C2D and i7 versions, then you might be able to swap the innards from the i7 version into yours!

Best advice, do you NEED an i7? When was the last time you were limited by the CPU in your laptop?

If you definitely want/need an i7 then sell your laptop and buy an i7 one...

Confused Stu

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Not going to happen, I'm afraid. The C2D and i7's require different motherboard slots and chipsets, so you cannot simply swap one CPU for another. Laptop motherboards are not interchangable (due to each laptop being a different size, shape, and port layout) so the chances of finding one that will take an i7 AND fit into your laptop case AND allow every connector to line up is virtually nil.

The only hope you would have is if Alienware produced your model laptop in C2D and i7 versions, then you might be able to swap the innards from the i7 version into yours!

Best advice, do you NEED an i7? When was the last time you were limited by the CPU in your laptop?

If you definitely want/need an i7 then sell your laptop and buy an i7 one. Alternatively, buy an i7 desktop and then upgrades like this are possible in the future by just buying a new motherboard.

Solution

coolbuddy_jass

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
no.actually i was never limited by cpu in my laptop coz it has dual ati graphic cards.. 4gb ddr3 ram and 2.4 ghz c2d processor. every game i have tried runs with highest settings... its just that i wanted to have the latest thing..anyways thanks a million...i'l have to ask if they designed it for i7 feasible....thanks...

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

Even if they made an i7 version of your laptop, where would you get the board from? If you somehow know which factory produces the mobo, maybe you could get it from there directly (though I doubt they'd sell you one).

Maybe you could buy one off as second hand which has some other defect on the laptop (one which doesn't have a defect on the motherboard) and get the innards. Though I wouldn't recommend going through such great lengths as you have no guarantee on the quality or state of the parts when getting 2nd hand.

Laptop motherboards are made usually for one specific case, and chances are slim that you could find a board with the same layout that would fit in your current case.

Status
Not open for further replies.