Repairing a Floppy Molex power connector

totallyradical5

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
I have a power supply that has a broken wire to the floppy molex connector. The plastic connector seems to be solid. Just pull it out and push the newly stripped wire in right?

Any thing else I should know, is this all wrong or any other things?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you want the more "fiddly" solution that re-uses the exiting connector:

Look very closely at the four brass metal tube-shaped pieces inside the Molex connector, each soldered to one of the wires. As you describe it, one wire has somehow pulled out or broken off on brass piece. Usually each brass piece is made with one or two little arms that stick out from it like a "barb" on a fishing hook. During initial assembly the brass piece is soldered to the end of the wire, and then pushed into the Molex plastic from the back. As it reaches its final position the little barbs push out and snag onto a recess inside the Molex plastic molding. Hence you cannot pull the brass piece back out again.

BUT you can! What you need to do is use a very small screwdriver to reach into the plastic just beside the brass piece (often reach in from the front side) so you can compress the little barb away from the plastic. While holding it that way you can pull the brass piece and its wire out the back again. (In your case with no wire attached, you will need instead to push the piece from the front.) Once you have the brass piece out you can re-bend the barb if necessary to its original position, re-solder it onto the end of the wire, and then re-insert it back into the plastic connector body.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
OR you could get a dead psu and splice as needed..
Paperdoc is right it is a "fiddly" thing to do and very easy to damage the connector they are extremely fragile as in not user friendly..It is hard enough to do the Berg connectors for a hdd....:)

totallyradical5

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

The pin in the connector actually was able to be pushed out. I messed with it and I think I'll just cut a dead psu's cable to replace this one and splice them together.