Sign in with
Your question

Problem with my display while gaming.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2010 8:53:02 PM

Hello everyone.
Here comes another one of the problems that will make you say "DARN!!!" ...yea.
I still have no idea whats the specific cause of the problem but, here is the "screw up" I am experiencing.
Yesterday I got the nerve to jump into the CODMW2 madness, and as the game finishes loading the map, my screen goes all messed up.
I got video here for better description: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeUjrhjtg7M" target="_blank"> Hope this aint bad news for me and this problem can be solved.
I tried to lower the settings in CODMW2 or went straight to the safe mode, and I could play for a bit until the display messed up on me again. This happens with every game that I have installed.
Also the night before I've carefully cleaned the case of any dust same as the components, changed the thermal paste, put and plugged everything back and I could play the game with no problem, until this morning it all came back.
Any ideas, suggestions are highly appreciated.

More about : problem display gaming

January 4, 2010 9:16:50 PM

have u tried updating your graphics card drivers? and which other games are giving you the same problem?
m
l
January 4, 2010 11:35:42 PM

yes i have updated the drivers for my graphics but still it does the same thing. Here are the games that do and dont work.

Working:
Older games work with no problem: Starcraft, Soldat, Dawn of War.

Not working:
These are the ones that have been released lately and require decent graphics: CODMW2, Red Alert3, BF 2142, Crysis, DoW2.
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2010 3:32:15 AM

actually not even DoW works anymore, I think there could be problem with overheating or something not really sure, anyone knows any good system monitor software?
m
l
January 5, 2010 3:43:03 AM

Your card's probably dying, it can push 2D fine but 3D kills it, and as you said even DoW is dying.

The reasons can be:
1. Overheating (check temps)
2. PSU problems (not enough juice)
3. A plain bad card (RMA/Return/Exchange it)
m
l
January 5, 2010 3:46:27 AM

True Say I am still waiting for an answer from XFX so will see whats up.
m
l
January 5, 2010 4:20:16 PM

SO what were the GPU temps and what is the videocard?
m
l
January 5, 2010 4:21:55 PM

Video card is GTX 280, it's in the video.
m
l
January 5, 2010 5:22:32 PM

Underclock your videocard using EVGA Precision and also manually increase your GPU fan to 85% prior to gaming. If this fixes your problem, then you know it's a heat issue. If it fixes your problem, set the videocard to stock speed and keep the fan to 85% while gaming. If the problem comes back, it might be too late for your card, might be already permanently damaged due to prolonged use under overheated conditions. Time to check the warranty. Hope it's an XFX with a lifetime warranty.
m
l
January 6, 2010 1:01:42 AM

yeah thats the problem I dont really have any system monitoring software that would work, the only one i have is from my nforce motherboard which is crashing everytime on startup. I need to get some software to check the temperatures. When I get the results I will post em up.
m
l
January 6, 2010 2:43:03 PM

thanks guys will try both.
m
l
January 6, 2010 3:53:49 PM

Here are the temperatures:

Idle the GPU is at 40*C, while gaming went up to 56*C Tried on CODMW2 windowed, could play for about 5 seconds until it crashed again.

I can play DOWDC single player with no problem, online it crashes.
m
l
January 6, 2010 4:42:46 PM

If you can play the single player missions with no problems then there is nothing wrong with your CPU/GPU/RAM hardware.

Is your copy of MW2 genuine?
Online crashes could mean it's your network card or its driver causing problems.
m
l
January 6, 2010 5:02:25 PM

yeah I bought MW2 in a store but i cant play CODMW2, same as other games crash except DOWDC.
m
l
January 6, 2010 6:40:56 PM

The card isnt overclocked.
m
l
January 7, 2010 3:27:43 AM

Underclock means to lower the settings even lower than the factory stock speed.
m
l
January 13, 2010 11:02:00 PM

Alright, I tried shitload of stuff, older drivers, the newest drivers tons of graphical checks with 3d mark vantage. Contacted XFX support, they got not idea whats going on so I think this wont lead anywhere.
m
l
January 14, 2010 1:33:29 PM

News to me. I own two XFX cards and on an issue where I was using a DVI to VGA adapter, XFX fixed it right away. XFX is my favorite videocard company and this is the first I've read that they weren't able to fix anything through tech support. Did they offer to RMA your card?
m
l
January 15, 2010 7:19:10 AM

My friend had the same problem it is a heat issue get EVGA precision tool its very easy to use and crank up the fan speed to 80 percent and see if that helps. fortunately we got his in time before any damge was done as i did a test on mine pushing it and it went to 100 degrees and over then crashed it happened very fast so its unlikely u will see it happening to take action. The worst game for that card is actuall the MMO games world of warcraft i hope that works for ya lad
m
l
!