Can I network my laptop to two different workgroups

aimeewilson123

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hello,
I have a laptop I use both at work and at home. Can i wireless network in both locations to allow for printing and sharing files. If so how do I set this up. Work network is already set but dont know how to set up home network if possible. I have XP

G

Yes of course you can use your laptop on various wireless networks. In most systems you just save a profile (of setting -- channel number, encryption type, passphrase) for each location -- it's virtually automatic. Then you just choose the profile as appropriate.

Your question seems to also imply that you want to set up a network at home. Starting point is probably to get a wireless router and thoroughly read the setup instructions which come with it.

A few tips.

Always configure the router using an ethernet cord as is usually supplied in the box.

While establishing a link to your laptop leave wireless security turned off in the router.

When creating a link to other computers on a network turn off firewalls on all machines temporarily. Enable file sharing on relevant folders in all machines.

Experiment with wireless channels -- some will work better than others in your environment.

Write down the name of each computer to be networked (Control Panel, System, Computer Name) inaccuracies cause non connection when using the Networking Wizard.

Be patient -- Windows networking, even wired, takes its time to establish links and in my experience often doesn't work first time. .

kihles

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
I think you have to have XP Pro to set up file sharing, but it could be wrong. Just right click over 'My Computer" and go to Properties and click the second tab that says "Computer Name".

You should see something that says Workgroup ID or Workgroup name. You have to set it so both computers have the same Workgroup name.

Firewalls can get annoying and block stuff so you may have to tweak it, but (I don't recommend) when I'm playing games with friends we just shut off the firewalls.