sgt bombulous

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
My motherboard takes about 17 seconds on average to get to the POST screen. Since I have an SSD the whole start-up takes about 13 seconds after that, but is this a normal time for a POST? Seems awfully long, considering my wifes laptop only takes about 3 seconds. my system:

Processor: Intel i5-750
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-Pro
RAM: Corsair XMS-3, 1600, 8 GB
GPU: eVGA GTX-460
OS Drive: Intel X-25M, 80 GB
Data Drive: Samsung HD103SJ
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts 650

I have everything shut off that I can think of (all boot devices disabled except the OS drive), including the JMicron JMB-363 controller, since the SSD wouldn't work properly in it anyway. Disabling that seemed to speed things up a tad. The only thing I can think to do would be a BIOS update, but I'm kind of skittish to do that. Just wondering if this is normal. I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64.

Thanks!

No, he's worried it's taking 17 seconds just to reach POST. Well, you've shut off extraneous devices, but that's typically the issue in cases like this, so perhaps go back and re-check. Inspect and re-seat your drive cables. Once in Windows, go into Device Manager and look for red X-es and yellow exclamation points. Those devices may be part of the problem.
Also, reset your BIOS to defaults, and make sure there is either no hard drive delay (to allow for spinup of older, slower drives), or set it to 1 second.